• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria Line Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
A part of it was closed due to "passenger action" Then I heard another announcement stating it was closed due to a "passenger under a train"

What exactly happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
Whatever happened was serious enough to be mentioned on London Today around midday today. I only caught the tail end of the report so can't shed any further light.

Coxster

Established Member
Sounds to me like a one under - 'an action by a passenger' is just a better thing for customers to hear.

Could've been on the news if it was someone important, someone wanted by police or caused major delays etc?

Dave A

Actually they may have been pushed!! :o Poor driver :(

Man held over Tube station death

A rush-hour traveller was pushed to his death in front of a Tube train in an apparently random attack, police said.

The man, in his 50s, was standing on a platform as the train pulled into Highbury and Islington Station in north London on Friday.

Police, who are treating his death as murder, arrested a man early this morning and are appealing for witnesses to the incident on the Victoria Line.

It is not believed the victim knew the man who pushed him.

Chief Superintendent Paul Crowther, of British Transport Police said: "This is a very early stage of our investigation.

"It was 6pm in the middle of the rush hour and this was a very busy, packed platform.

"We need to piece together exactly what happened in the run up to this incident.

"We are unclear at the moment about the exact circumstances. There doesn't appear to have been any incident running up to it."

Track closed

Two years ago 2004 drug addict Stephen Soans-Wade, of Poplar, east London, was jailed for life for pushing security guard Christophe Duclos to his death in front of a rush-hour Tube train.

Soans-Wade became violent after being turned away from hospital and shoved Frenchman Mr Duclos, 37, off the platform at Mile End, east London, on September 13, 2002.

He had claimed he was guilty of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, claiming voices had told him to do it, but the jury convicted him of murder.

The Victoria Line was closed between Warren Street and Walthamstow Central following Friday's incident.

It did not reopen on Saturday because of planned engineering works to re-lay track.

A spokesman for Transport for London said this section of the Victoria Line was expected to open again as usual on Monday morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5160516.stm

Ben

Christ!

What sort of Scum would do that? Poor Driver.

The Snap

Established Member
158 said:
Christ!

What sort of Scum would do that? Poor Driver.

And the bloke that was killed :roll: Yep, depressing for all involved. The tw*t that pushed the feller should be shot!

Dave A

Joe H said:
Without a thought for the victim who lost his life. Some people :roll:

Don't forget that when he posted that, and I posted the news, it had not been confirmed that they were pushed, and was believed to be suicide, at the time!

Lewisham2221

Established Member
David V2 said:
Don't forget that when he posted that, and I posted the news, it had not been confirmed that they were pushed, and was believed to be suicide, at the time!
Actually, he posted after you had posted the BBC story about it being murder.

Dave A

Lewisham2221 said:
Actually, he posted after you had posted the BBC story about it being murder.

But it had not been confirmed as a murder when I posted it.

Driver74

But it had not been confirmed as a murder when I posted it.

One under is just that, be it suicide (the most common) or murder. The point is, so many innocent parties become involved. The immediate stress to the driver from which many never really recover. Then there’s the PW who always seem to be delegated to collect what remains of the body?
I have met solitary policemen walking the tunnels after traffic looking for body parts since a post-mortem cannot be carried out unless the body is complete?

My apologies if this comment has upset your breakfast?

Signalman

I have met solitary policemen walking the tunnels after traffic looking for body parts since a post-mortem cannot be carried out unless the body is complete?

That is a ridiculous statement to make!

Whatever the reason a person ends up underneath a train, services are suspended and the area is made safe for emergency services to get down on the track and deal with the situation. Relevant isolations to traction current supplies are made to run some sort of service on either side of the incident.

Services do not resume until all body parts are found!

You would not find police on the track, on their own in engineering hours. How does a copper know how to read an EWSA?

If a person is pushed under a train, the area becomes a scene of crime. If this happens to be perfectly honest you can kiss goodbye to the railway for most of the day. You end up with forensics, SOCO and everyone else gathering as much evidence as possible - even dismantling parts of the track! While all this is happening no LU staff are allowed on the scene and everything drags on.

If someone jumps in front of a train but doesn't die, this can also drag on for a while. Ambulance services spend a while trying to keep these people alive, even though they are suffering quite serious injuries. I was involved in quite a grusome incident a while ago, where a young girl had severed limbs, and while the LAS were trying to keep the girl alive she was shouting abuse and spitting at the crew.

Dave A

One under is just that, be it suicide (the most common) or murder.

No, a one under is some ignorant attention seeker who thinks jumping under a train will solve all their problems, regardless of who it may effect, I.E. the driver!

A murder, when referring to people under a train, is when that person is PUSHED under the train, by someone. They don't do it voluntarily, or because they want to! And in the meantime, the person who pushed them has just destroyed 2 lives, who probably have families to support!

Sturdjos

No, a one under is some ignorant attention seeker who thinks jumping under a train will solve all their problems, regardless of who it may effect, I.E. the driver!

A murder, when referring to people under a train, is when that person is PUSHED under the train, by someone. They don't do it voluntarily, or because they want to! And in the meantime, the person who pushed them has just destroyed 2 lives, who probably have families to support!

Sorry, but I have to jump in here.

For personal experience, I can tell you, that people who jump in front of trains, are not ignorant attention seekers, or it will solve all their problems.

They wish to die - they believe there is no other way out - what they are not is ignorant attention seekers - they are people who need help.

When I was suicidal last year, I was not an ignorant attention seeker, I was someone who needed help - and I got that, and for that I am glad, however, give the people like that, some support. It is devastating for the driver - we all know that, but when people are suicidal, I can tell you that we don't think about that - it is not down to ignorance, it is down to depression and that fact that it drowns everything else out... you become like a walking zombie - everything is hard to do.

When people become like this, they need help, but the last thing they are, is ignorant.

With Respect

Joe

Dave A

In my opinion, which I should of added earlier, they are attention seekers, and they are ignorant. If they're not, then why do they do it at peak hours usually, and in stations that will mean severe disruption to the rest of the line. You never hear of them doing it at stations like Ealing Broadway, because they know it wont cause to much of a problem if they did! This people don't do it at random, they plan it!

If they need help, they should get it. Its not down to anyone else to help them. Like with drugs and alcohol abuse, its only down themselves to stop it.

And before you say "its not as easy as that", I really don't think anyone has a right in this world, to take other peoples lives. Everytime someone jumps under a train to get rid of their problems, they cause loads more, mostly to the driver, but I'm sure If you or myself witnessed one from the platform, the chances of us getting on with our lives as normal, for at least a few months, wouldn't be high!?

I have no sympathy for them what-so-ever. If they really need to kill themselves, they should throw themselves off a bridge into the river, not by disrupting other peoples lives!

Btw, I am sorry to hear of your downs, and am glad you are better! :)

Signalman

Lets give a little bit of history here....

I used to be a signaller (+4 years ago), but within my time on the underground I have done a number of jobs.

Whatever job I have done I have had a 'one under'. A one under is just that a person under a train. So if they are pushed, jumped or slipped they are still a 'one under'.

To be honest, operational staff don't really care if they jumped or were pushed, we have to run a railway from either side.

However.

I do not agree whatsoever that someone who jumped in front of a train is ignorant. Although I dont know a thing about mental health, "these people" are crying out for help. I would ask you, on your travels to look at the headwall at Mile End eastbound, why is there a free telephone to the Samaritans? This apparently has reduced jumpers dramatically. Someone who has had problems needs someone to talk to. Talking about your problems, apparently is the greatest healer.

So please be considerate before you slag the jumpers off, do you honestly believe that their first option is to disrupt thousands of communters - all they want is some help? (or at least a chat)

** sorry I had to add my 2p there! ""

Dave A

No, I don't believe their first option is to jump, and "disrupt thousands of commuters", but If they want some help, or a chat, then maybe they should try it first, before deciding to jump under a train. Hence the reason I think they're ignorant, they don't think about seeking help, before they do it!

Sturdjos

They think about seeking help; they also think that no-one listens or cares, thus, they don't get or seek it. Even the Samaritans I had a hard time e-mailing - I believed no-one cared for me.

Sometimes it's easier said than done, about speaking with someone about what's troubling you - especially if you're considering ending your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.