• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria - Paddington: bus or tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I can either take the Circle line or the 36 or 436 bus. I know the tube will be crowded but how about those buses?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Well it depends on the time of day. If the tube is they will be too. But they are a bit more frequent than the Circle Line so can be quicker overall

calc7

Established Member
Victoria + Bakerloo (change at Oxford Circus) wouldn't be a bad shout. Very easy interchange there for you.

Clip

Established Member
Id go for the vic + Bakerloo as above. Dead quick.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Well it depends on the time of day. If the tube is they will be too. But they are a bit more frequent than the Circle Line so can be quicker overall

It'll be about 0900 in the morning.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I did this for about a year (0700 Vic-Padd, 1900 return) and swore by the bus, at least for the morning journey. Nearly always quicker and much more pleasant (could get a seat most of the time on the 36, less often on the 436 but this was before debendification). If there's a long wait (unusual) then a 16 will take you to the end of Praed St, about 5 mins walk from Paddington.

On the return the bus was definitely slower especially down Edgware Road. I would think that the roads are likely to be busier than at 7 and so the Tube might be quicker. Definitely Vic/Bakerloo though unless there's major problems on either, the Circle generally takes an age.

Depends on your priorities really - bus is more pleasant IMO but the Tube can be quicker at busy times. If it's a regular thing then you'll be able to try out all the options.

If it's a nice day then it's a pleasant walk - up to Buckingham Palace, then through Green Park, Hyde Park across to Clarendon or Albion Gate then through across to Paddington. Takes around 45 minutes at a reasonable pace.

ert47

By any chance travelling from Croydon? Could always take the train up to Willesden Junction then Bakerloo back down...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can either take the Circle line or the 36 or 436 bus. I know the tube will be crowded but how about those buses?
Neither! I'd take a deep level tube, as mentioned in the title! The interchange at Oxford Circus is cross-platform.

That is far better than taking the sub-surface Circle line which goes west of Paddington and then back east again, and trundles around at slow speeds and will probably be held at junctions!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
By any chance travelling from Croydon? Could always take the train up to Willesden Junction then Bakerloo back down...
That would take ages (and involve a further change as Southern do not call at Willesden Jn)! If the objective was to avoid Victoria, then you would change at West Brompton.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I'm thinking 0830 from East Croydon - Victoria (0848), then the 36/436 arriving at Paddington around 0921 in time for the 0930 train to Slough.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm thinking 0830 from East Croydon - Victoria (0848), then the 36/436 arriving at Paddington around 0921 in time for the 0930 train to Slough.
If the 0930 to Slough is essential, then that plan seems to tight to me.

08.23 to Farringdon (arr 09.00) then any amount of Met. or Circle line trains to Padders. You'll easily get the 09.30 from Padders. Having done the journey from Paddington to Croydon many times via several different routes I've found that one to be the easiest.

calc7

Established Member
08.23 to Farringdon (arr 09.00) then any amount of Met. or Circle line trains to Padders. You'll easily get the 09.30 from Padders. Having done the journey from Paddington to Croydon many times via several different routes I've found that one to be the easiest.

The Metropolitan Line doesn't go to Paddington (but the Hammersmith & City does) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.