• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria Platform 13/14 Barriers - Accept Southern Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh1986

Without wanting to resurrect the GEX/Southern Only debate too much, I'm travelling from Victoria to Gatwick tonight and coming back tomorrow afternoon. I've had a Brighton season ticket for years but it's expired so have to buy a ticket this evening.

If I buy a "Southern Only" ticket (£3 cheaper with my railcard), will the barrier let me through to board the 17.32 GEX or will it get rejected and I have to go through the whole "this is valid" (assuming the consensus is still that it's a valid ticket to use on a GEX) argument before boarding? Wrong attitude but for £3, I'm not sure I can face the argument.

Ticket description on Southern website:

Anytime Return£20.20
Route: Southern Trains Only
Available on any service. Outward journey valid within five days of the date selected and return on any day within 1 month.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

I'm pretty sure the barriers for the GEx platforms are programmed based on route. IME they'll only accept "Any Permitted" tickets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Notably, when a Southern service goes from 13 or 14 at Victoria in the evening, passengers are usually encouraged to go via the 9-12 gates and the Southern staff open up the connecting gate between 9-12 and 13/14.

James Wake

Is it worth the argument when you could just get the 1727 Ore, which is no slower?

I would agree, that train is not the busiest one of the evening peak, gets to Gatwick at 1759, saves arguments and you should get a seat from Victoria, it is a 12 coach train, and to be by the escalator on platform 5 at Gatwick you need to be in the 6th or 7th coach.

djh1986

Cheers all. It's a tight enough call as I'm coming from Bloomsbury at 5pm but should make the 5.27 all being well.

James Wake

Cheers all. It's a tight enough call as I'm coming from Bloomsbury at 5pm but should make the 5.27 all being well.

If you miss the 1727, the next Southern service to call at Gatwick Airport from Victoria is the 1746 to Littlehampton, arriving at 1820.

talldave

Established Member
They do accept Travelcards though - which surprised me.

Yes, I spent ages showing Travelcards to the barrier staff before building up the courage to try the barrier one day, and sailed through without any problem.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
... but not Southern Only Travelcards I found. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.