• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria ticket worker dies after being spat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Shocking news. Interesting she was at work with underlying conditions but difficult to ascertain whether she wanted to be there or not. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52616071

A railway ticket office worker has died with coronavirus after being spat at by a man who claimed he had Covid-19.

Belly Mujinga, 47, who had underlying respiratory problems, was working at Victoria station in London in March when she was assaulted, along with a female colleague.

Within days of the incident, both women fell ill with the virus.

British Transport Police said an inquiry had been launched to trace the man who spat at the pair.

Mrs Mujinga was on the concourse of Victoria station on 22 March when she was approached by the suspect.

Her husband Lusamba Gode Katalay said the man had asked his wife what she was doing and why she was there.

"She told him she was working and the man said he had the virus and spat on her," he added.

Mrs Mujinga was admitted to Barnet Hospital on 2 April and was put on a ventilator. But she died three days later, the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA), said.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
What a nasty thing to do, especially during a pandemic. Telling someone you have the virus and then spitting says a lot about this person.

Thoughts to the family for her loss. It is heart breaking to hear that someone was assaulted in this way whilst doing her job. Spitting is an offence for which you can go to prison for up to 6 months, hopefully longer in this case.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Should be charged with murder. I reckon it'd stick - if they indeed knew they were infected, spitting at someone could reasonably be expected to kill them.

bramling

Veteran Member
Shocking news. Interesting she was at work with underlying conditions but difficult to ascertain whether she wanted to be there or not. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52616071

Shocking. Thoughts with everyone affected. Hope they get the low-life who did it, and hope they can make the most severe charge stick.

And a further reminder of the risks key workers have been taking over the last few weeks to keep the country running.

LMS 4F

Should be charged with murder. I reckon it'd stick - if they indeed knew they were infected, spitting at someone could reasonably be expected to kill them.
I am quite sure the charge would be manslaughter removing the need to prove intent. Still carries life imprisonment although it is not mandatory as it is for murder.
A despicable act at any time but much worse at the moment.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Legally speaking, spitting isn't GBH so I'm not sure they could be tbh.

The most severe charge I can see is Unlawful Act - Manslaughter.

Not saying what they did was right either.

muz379

Established Member
Thoughts go out to family and work colleagues , even worse knowing it could have been completely avoidable

Not defending the action in the slightest

Intent might be hard to prove and I think the difficulty would be in proving that the act was indeed the cause of infection , leading authority on virus transmission cases is around HIV which is obviously transmitted in more specific ways . Here there are many places this woman could have been infected .

baz962

Established Member
Just got home and saw this on the news . I have no words , apart from thought's for the loved one's . Hope they catch the person and throw the book at them.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
Tragic news, I hope the person who did this gets caught.
Have they got this ‘thing’ on cctv? as not much info online that I can find.

That action at anytime, anywhere is disgusting even pre virus, not the first time key workers have been spat at the last few months.

We have all experienced ‘incidents’ working at stations/trains involving threats, abuse, spitting etc but the latter of spitting disgusts me.

I hope the ‘thing’ is traced & the family at least get a little justice but will be of no great consolation of course re their loss.

Last edited:

HLE

Established Member
Sadly spitting has been allowed to become
almost accepted in some quarters of society.
And someone's paid for it with their life.

Awful.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Very tragic and yes, thoughts with her family; however, I'm sure questions will be asked as to why a vulnerable worker was allowed to work, even if it was of her chosing or not

Edit: Management had asked some ticket office staff to work on the concourse without PPE - Really?

Last edited:

Silverlinky

I thought that at the time this incident occurred the only way you knew you had Covid was if you had been admitted to hospital with it.

If this "person" knowingly had the symptoms and still went out and about, and still spat on the member of staff then he knew what the risk or potential consequences were, therefore it is in my eyes manslaughter at least. It seems however that the charge is likely to be battery at most.......shocking all round.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
If this "person" knowingly had the symptoms and still went out and about, and still spat on the member of staff then he knew what the risk or potential consequences were, therefore it is in my eyes manslaughter at least. It seems however that the charge is likely to be battery at most.......shocking all round.

I thought there were different rules under the Coronavirus "Act"

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought there were different rules under the Coronavirus "Act"
I don't know whether that's right or wrong, but this didn't become law until 25th March, and the incident occurred on 22nd March.

Have they got this ‘thing’ on cctv? as not much info on line that I can find.
It isn't clear, but the BTP are calling for witnesses under a log number that is dated yesterday. Accordingly, if it was only reported to the police yesterday, then it may be too late to download CCTV now.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A man in St Neots who spat at a police officer saying he had Coronavirus 'and you're going to die' was jailed for eight months in early April, though I'm unclear under which charge(s). Sorry, unable to provide link.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The 10 o Clock news said that it is not believed that the BTP were notified on the day.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very sad to hear this :(
Very tragic and yes, thoughts with her family; however, I'm sure questions will be asked as to why a vulnerable worker was allowed to work, even if it was of her chosing or not
I don't know what the law says but I'd be surprised if people can be forced not to work?
Edit: Management had asked some ticket office staff to work on the concourse without PPE - Really?
I'm not really sure what kind of viable/practicable protection you had in mind that could fully protect someone from being spat at?

At the end of the day this is a despicable act by the spitter; there is no practicable way for anyone to fully protect themselves against such vile acts or for employers to equip them as such. It would presumably require a helmet to fully protect the face, and I can't believe that would be remotely viable.

CalF

Worrying reports that this poor woman had asked her manager to work behind the ticket desk for safety on account of health issues, yet her manager forced her back out onto the concourse without any protective equipment.

I’d like to see criminal charges also brought against the individual responsible for that decision.

On 22nd March 2020, Belly and her colleague were on shift as ticket office staff for Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) Southern at London’s Victoria Station. They were out on the concourse by the ticket office when they were assaulted by a member of the public who spat at them. The man coughed over them and told them he had the virus.

Belly and her colleague were shaken by their experience and went into the ticket office to report the incident, also asking for the police to be called. Belly pleaded not to be sent back outside and asked to instead work from inside the ticket office.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
A truly appalling case, which fills me with dread to hear about. I can hardly process it.

The likely common law test for Murder would be intent, and serious harm or injury, with a death linked to the original intent. It seems very unlikely that the test would be met in this case.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It is an appalling case. It's not acceptable to spit on anyone regardless of the circumstances, but can it be proven that the culprit actually had the virus and is therefore responsible for passing it on?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Very sad to hear this :(

I don't know what the law says but I'd be surprised if people can be forced not to work?
I'm not really sure what kind of viable/practicable protection you had in mind that could fully protect someone from being spat at?

At the end of the day this is a despicable act by the spitter; there is no practicable way for anyone to fully protect themselves against such vile acts or for employers to equip them as such. It would presumably require a helmet to fully protect the face, and I can't believe that would be remotely viable.

My point was aimed around the question as to why a ticket office worker was sent to work on the concourse. After I posted, I read that she pleaded to remain in the ticket office for safety.

I appreciate she woudn't have been provided with PPE however, I might have thought a simple face mask might be been given. That "might" have given her some protection.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My point was aimed around the question as to why a ticket office worker was sent to work on the concourse. After I posted, I read that she pleaded to remain in the ticket office for safety.
The allegation is indeed that she was sent back to the concourse after being assaulted. I find that extremely disappointing. In my opinion, she should have been offered the opportunity to go home at that point. Not that this would have made any difference to the terrible outcome in this case, but that's the right thing for an employer to do. I can't imagine anyone at any workplace I've ever worked at would be forced to continue to work after that.
I appreciate she woudn't have been provided with PPE however, I might have thought a simple face mask might be been given. That "might" have given her some protection.
A 'simple face mask' would not stop particles entering the mouth if directly spat at and would do nothing to mitigate against particles entering through the eyes or nose. There's no way people can go around wearing protective equipment that would prevent this sort of thing ever happening.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Just been discussed on Good Morning Britain

The allegation is indeed that she was sent back to the concourse after being assaulted. I find that extremely disappointing. In my opinion, she should have been offered the opportunity to go home at that point. Not that this would have made any difference to the terrible outcome in this case, but that's the right thing for an employer to do. I can't imagine anyone at any workplace I've ever worked at would be forced to continue to work after that.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
This story just helps to highlight the abuse that staff receive every day from a minority of the public.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How do you know it wouldn't have made any difference? If she was sent home, she may not have encountered this despicable person
Don’t understand - she would only have been sent home AFTER this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.