Video camera recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Advice & Discussion' started by HA25322, 27 May 2017.

1. HA25322

HA25322 Member

I asked this on another forum but with not much success. So I ask again here and hope someone can help me please?

I was at an event recently and saw quite a few people standing in fields and on platforms with devices which appeared to record pictures and then putting these onto the internet thing. Being totally illiterate on these kind of contraptions of recording of moving pictures I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction to look at and then maybe purchase one in the future?
    I am then interesting in being able to put these clips together to then have a the few seconds of clips, or minutes all added together to make up longer clips.
    Any help for a complete novice would be gratefully received.

Regards

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ABB125

ABB125 Member

I use a Panasonic HC V380, which is an excellent, good value video camera. However, there are other, cheaper (and more expensive) options available, both from Panasonic and other manufacturers.
    I then use Serif Movieplus for editing, but if you are a complete novice, then this software may seem a bit confusing. A free, simpler alternative is Windows Movie Maker, which should come pre-installed on any Windows computer.

4. HA25322

HA25322 Member

Thank you for taking the time for replying. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a MAC so Windows Movie Maker is a no go. I will have a look at Serif Movieplus and see if that is compatible with a MAC. I will also have a look at V380. I have heard good things about Panasonic so that maybe the way forward????

Regards Keith

5. ABB125

ABB125 Member

I don't think that Serif is compatible with MAC, but Apple probably have an pre-installed Movie Maker equivalent. I think that i-movie might have some editing functions.

6. HA25322

HA25322 Member

Have i-movie on my Mac but not sure that it would work on the Panasonic. However I am happy for the gen on video cameras so I will pursue that part first and then sort out the editing part later.
    Again many thanks.

7. gtis

gtis Member

Hi I know this is a old post but I have got the same camcorder has you can you recommend some video settings for moving trains
    Neil

8. ABB125

ABB125 Member

Generally, auto mode is fine: point the camera at the train, press the button, and most of the time all's well.
    I will admit that I have pretty much never used manual mode, but if you want to, you will need a fast shutter speed (how fast depends on the speed of the train: 1/200s should be fine for slower speeds; when I am photographing trains at 125 mph I use a speed of around 1/800s), and ideally as big an aperture as possible (for some reason this is called 'iris' in the camera settings; the smaller the f-number, the bigger the aperture).
    I hope this helps.

9. ac6000cw

ac6000cw Established Member

That's fine for shooting stills where you want to freeze the motion, but it's exactly what you don't want for shooting video (where fast shutter speeds will produce stuttery-looking motion).

The normal rule-of-thumb for video is to use a shutter speed that is twice the video frame rate e.g. if it's 25 frames-per-second (FPS) then use 1/50s shutter speed, if it's 50 FPS then use 1/100s. This will give you smooth-looking motion. Basically you need some motion-blur in it to make it pleasant to watch.

I agree.

10. ABB125

ABB125 Member

So, in summary, use auto mode.

11. gtis

gtis Member

Thanks for the replies
    How do I check the FPS
    Neil

12. ac6000cw

ac6000cw Established Member

It's controlled by the (Menu) -> [RECORD FORMAT] -> [REC MODE] settings (see the Owners Manual - you can download it from the Panasonic website if needed)

But unless you have specific reasons for using 25 FPS, I'd always go with one of the 1080/50p settings (that's 1920 x 1080 'Full HD' at 50 FPS). That will give you the smoothest motion/best quality video.

13. Charles B

Charles B Member

I also shoot at 1080 50p and have found it much better than 25p. As to shutter speed, I leave that to the camera while all other settings are manual. Not had a problem so far.