• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video camera recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

HA25322

I asked this on another forum but with not much success. So I ask again here and hope someone can help me please?

I was at an event recently and saw quite a few people standing in fields and on platforms with devices which appeared to record pictures and then putting these onto the internet thing. Being totally illiterate on these kind of contraptions of recording of moving pictures I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction to look at and then maybe purchase one in the future?
I am then interesting in being able to put these clips together to then have a the few seconds of clips, or minutes all added together to make up longer clips.
Any help for a complete novice would be gratefully received.

Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
I use a Panasonic HC V380, which is an excellent, good value video camera. However, there are other, cheaper (and more expensive) options available, both from Panasonic and other manufacturers.
I then use Serif Movieplus for editing, but if you are a complete novice, then this software may seem a bit confusing. A free, simpler alternative is Windows Movie Maker, which should come pre-installed on any Windows computer.

HA25322

Thank you for taking the time for replying. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a MAC so Windows Movie Maker is a no go. I will have a look at Serif Movieplus and see if that is compatible with a MAC. I will also have a look at V380. I have heard good things about Panasonic so that maybe the way forward????

Regards Keith

ABB125

Established Member
I don't think that Serif is compatible with MAC, but Apple probably have an pre-installed Movie Maker equivalent. I think that i-movie might have some editing functions.

HA25322

I don't think that Serif is compatible with MAC, but Apple probably have an pre-installed Movie Maker equivalent. I think that i-movie might have some editing functions.

Have i-movie on my Mac but not sure that it would work on the Panasonic. However I am happy for the gen on video cameras so I will pursue that part first and then sort out the editing part later.
Again many thanks.

gtis

I use a Panasonic HC V380, which is an excellent, good value video camera. However, there are other, cheaper (and more expensive) options available, both from Panasonic and other manufacturers.
I then use Serif Movieplus for editing, but if you are a complete novice, then this software may seem a bit confusing. A free, simpler alternative is Windows Movie Maker, which should come pre-installed on any Windows computer.

Hi I know this is a old post but I have got the same camcorder has you can you recommend some video settings for moving trains
Neil

ABB125

Established Member
Hi I know this is a old post but I have got the same camcorder has you can you recommend some video settings for moving trains
Neil
Generally, auto mode is fine: point the camera at the train, press the button, and most of the time all's well.
I will admit that I have pretty much never used manual mode, but if you want to, you will need a fast shutter speed (how fast depends on the speed of the train: 1/200s should be fine for slower speeds; when I am photographing trains at 125 mph I use a speed of around 1/800s), and ideally as big an aperture as possible (for some reason this is called 'iris' in the camera settings; the smaller the f-number, the bigger the aperture).
I hope this helps.

ac6000cw

Established Member
you will need a fast shutter speed (how fast depends on the speed of the train: 1/200s should be fine for slower speeds; when I am photographing trains at 125 mph I use a speed of around 1/800s)

That's fine for shooting stills where you want to freeze the motion, but it's exactly what you don't want for shooting video (where fast shutter speeds will produce stuttery-looking motion).

The normal rule-of-thumb for video is to use a shutter speed that is twice the video frame rate e.g. if it's 25 frames-per-second (FPS) then use 1/50s shutter speed, if it's 50 FPS then use 1/100s. This will give you smooth-looking motion. Basically you need some motion-blur in it to make it pleasant to watch.

Generally, auto mode is fine: point the camera at the train, press the button, and most of the time all's well.

I agree.

gtis

That's fine for shooting stills where you want to freeze the motion, but it's exactly what you don't want for shooting video (where fast shutter speeds will produce stuttery-looking motion).

The normal rule-of-thumb for video is to use a shutter speed that is twice the video frame rate e.g. if it's 25 frames-per-second (FPS) then use 1/50s shutter speed, if it's 50 FPS then use 1/100s. This will give you smooth-looking motion. Basically you need some motion-blur in it to make it pleasant to watch.

I agree.

So, in summary, use auto mode.

Thanks for the replies
How do I check the FPS
Neil

ac6000cw

Established Member
It's controlled by the (Menu) -> [RECORD FORMAT] -> [REC MODE] settings (see the Owners Manual - you can download it from the Panasonic website if needed)

But unless you have specific reasons for using 25 FPS, I'd always go with one of the 1080/50p settings (that's 1920 x 1080 'Full HD' at 50 FPS). That will give you the smoothest motion/best quality video.

Charles B

I also shoot at 1080 50p and have found it much better than 25p. As to shutter speed, I leave that to the camera while all other settings are manual. Not had a problem so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.