• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VIDEO - Class 800 at York

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dunning

Here's some video footage and pictures from the wee small hours of this morning at York station of the Class 800 tests.

http://www.minsterfm.com/news/local/1936685/videopictures---new-high-speed-train-arrives-in-york/

The train now arriving on Platform 10 is the future. It will bring a new era of high speed travel to North Yorkshire. It glided into York Station for what we believe is the first time late last night.
The new trains will link York with Scotland and London Kings Cross.
Running on either diesel or electric power they will be able to reach other places like Selby and Hull and Harrogate too.
Virgin/Stagecoach, the operators of East Coast Mainline, call them ‘Azuma’ which translates as ‘East’ from Japanese.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I must say those seats look like they will be terribly comfortable for a long journey - not!

I have seen a picture of the Azuma thingy under the main roof as i understand they were doing platform clearances between York and Darlo

David Dunning

I must say those seats look like they will be terribly comfortable for a long journey - not!

I have seen a picture of the Azuma thingy under the main roof as i understand they were doing platform clearances between York and Darlo

Yes I saw those too which alerted me to the movement.
Jonathan Morley took some.
The seats did look very uncomfortable and attracted some comment on Minster FM social media. However I did wonder if they were not the final one, maybe extra cushions coming soon??

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yes I saw those too which alerted me to the movement.
Jonathan Morley took some.
The seats did look very uncomfortable and attracted some comment on Minster FM social media. However I did wonder if they were not the final one, maybe extra cushions coming soon??

what do you think ;)

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I wondered but was unable to confirm :|

The seats are comfortable.

And drop the PR rubbish, we know they're coming. We don't need patronised with your content about them being the future etc.

It's bad enough having that rubbish spouted by Virgin East Coast, and in the process having to watch them trying to claim credit for the several years we've all spent planning signalling, reliability and speed improvements. That's now Richard Branson's idea and not at all an industry proposal that was being worked on long before bids opened for the ICEC franchise.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
And drop the PR rubbish, we know they're coming. We don't need patronised with your content about them being the future etc.
To be fair, it was just (badly) quoted from the linked article in accordance with forum rules. Though I'm not sure if that counts as self-promotion?

David Dunning

To be fair, it was just (badly) quoted from the linked article in accordance with forum rules. Though I'm not sure if that counts as self-promotion?

Well he wouldn't be the first person to be rude and pompous on this forum so we will move swiftly on :D
As you said najaB it was to comply with forum rules and is actually written for a wider audience who don't know everything

najaB

Veteran Member
Always enjoyable to wade through a giant megathread rather than getting straight to the point.
Just as enjoyable as seeing the same arguments being thrashed out across dozens of different threads.

lincolnshire

There's a thread for discussion of how (un)comfortable you think the Class 80x seats will be based merely on how they look.

Are they the same style of seats as fitted to Javelin trains then?
They are steel frames with not a vast lot of padding on the seats etc, they are quite comfortable as the front edge is raised as against the back of the seat and the lumber support is better too.

Anything must be better than the seats on the present East Coast stock as they give you a numb bum after even a short journey let alone a long one, give me a seat of a sprinter or pacer any day go the week against one of them.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I saw this video just before bed last night, then had a rather gloomy dream in which I was at York and all the 125's and 225's had been replaced.

caliwag

I cannot believe that the client (?)didn't request that the seats must line up with windows...ie shorter windows, and more of them, like an airoplane or the japanese bullet ...it cannot be beyond the wit of a CAD designer to match these things! Bizarre, and rather poor.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If anyone wishes to try the seats, they are the same as the First Class ones fitted to the ScotRail AT200 mockup but without the double centre armrest and recline. They seem decent enough to me. Quite low-back, as well, which many will approve of.

Class 170101

Established Member
Still yet to operate with Pantograph I see. Both videos using Diesel throughout.

When does Electric testing start?

futureA

I cannot believe that the client (?)didn't request that the seats must line up with windows...ie shorter windows, and more of them, like an airoplane or the japanese bullet ...it cannot be beyond the wit of a CAD designer to match these things! Bizarre, and rather poor.

Lining the seats up with the windows would result in fewer seats being able to fit into the vehicle.

S

Schnuzelbug

I saw this video just before bed last night, then had a rather gloomy dream in which I was at York and all the 125's and 225's had been replaced.

Surely that's a nightmare, then? :lol:

Personally, I can't wait for the IEP, I'd have them in service from tomorrow rather than wait until 2018... Their innovation is needed NOW not in 2/3 years time!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Lining the seats up with the windows would result in fewer seats being able to fit into the vehicle.

It also basically ceased with BR the Mk3 coach. Didn't previous generations of coach use a different window arrangement for first and standard coaches? Mk3 ditched that idea. Window spacing would probably need to be different for airline and bay seating as well? What you usually end up with is an average length window for all carriage layouts, that allows for the crash worthiness requirements of the body shell.

But this is probably off topic as it has previously been discussed in the main 800 thread...

Probably why posts linking to videos should really go in the photography and videos section, so that they don't encourage repeat discussions like wot I just continued...

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It also basically ceased with BR the Mk3 coach. Didn't previous generations of coach use a different window arrangement for first and standard coaches? Mk3 ditched that idea. Window spacing would probably need to be different for airline and bay seating as well? What you usually end up with is an average length window for all carriage layouts, that allows for the crash worthiness requirements of the body shell.

On mk 1's you basically had the width of a door (which gave fairly generous leg room) for all classes (yes, there were 1st, 2nd and 3rd class mk 1 vehicles built).

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
What will the total number of coaches be when in use on the ECML?

I've done a little list for you, do note that the carriages are 26m nominal length, and not 23m nominal as is the case at present, so each carriage has more seating and standing capacity.

Virgin Trains East Coast

Class 800 (bi-mode)
13 x 9 carriages: 117
10 x 5 carriages: 50

Class 801 (electric only)
30 x 9 carriages: 270
12 x 5 carriages: 60

They will also be keeping around 6 x 6 car IC225 sets (shortened from current length to match the IEP timings).

Hull Trains
Class 802 (bi-mode)
5 x 5 carriages: 25

TransPennine Express
Class 802 (bi-mode)
19 x 5 carriages: 95

Status
Not open for further replies.