• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video editors (apart from Movie maker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyn29

Does anyone know of an easy to use one? I cant use movie maker with my camcorder (jvc) and wondered what people here use?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some people use Sony Vegas, which is very clever software but a nightmare to learn from what I've seen.

Personally I use Movie Maker as whilst I'd like to do all this fancy stuff with my videos (which I'll doing some more of soon! :D) I can't afford to get Vegas. Movie Maker can do some fancy things though, not really experimented with it all yet.

I do wonder why you can't use Movie Maker though, seems odd that as it should work with any captured digital footage. Or is that the issue you are having currently, capturing footage from a non-Mini DV camcorder?

Established Member
When trying to open the files in movie maker, have you tried selecting 'All Files' rather than 'All Media Files', that's how I get mine to show so I can import it.
Also, which version are you using?

martyn29

I think its because I am using a JVC camcorder the files are Mpeg, and Windows movie maker says these are not compatiable..

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I bought Vegas studio, like techniquest said, it's like MS movie maker just a bit different, is easy when you can the hang of a couple of things.

The only reason I use vegas studio after is because MS movie maker broke after a while and refuses to work, a common problem it seems (according to online searches).

I have got Adobe Premier 6.5 but have yet to figure how how edit the videos in the timeline! Have to try and search for a guidebook!

Cheers,

James.

Teaboy1

I bought Sony Vegas....and it is a nightmare....wish I had opted for NERO, heard good reports about it !;)
Paid £60 for mine Sony off Amazon.

TGVDUDE

i take videos oni Mpeg format and it works on Movie Maker, so what better for me as i have a Sony Handycam DCR - SX30E, Sony Vegas or NERO, also if Sony Vegas, how much should i pay for the software?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I'm having problems with Movie Maker now it seems. I put a video together today using all the same formats, capture quality and all that bajazz as I used to. The original put-together failed to play the visual but the audio works. So I tried it again today, dedicating an hour and a bit to doing it.

Saved OK it would appear, but the same problem came up in that it would play the audio but not the visual.

Will be having a look at some better software me thinks! Anyone got any links to this NERO thing?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hmm, the version I've got came with XP and this PC a couple of years ago, not sure which version it is but it's not happened before and I've made a lot of videos using it. Not sure how to check which version I'm using or how to update it though.

HSTChris

I use Power Drector 7. it's great software and really easy to use too. Plus, the quality produced is very good for YouTube. A good balance between quality and the file size. Have a look on my channel at my most recent videos to see that. And also, I have a JVC camcorder which works with PD7, however mine produces .MOD files from the camera, not MPEG.

Buffer68

Just a suggestion - if you buy an Apple Mac, it comes bundled with iMovie which is fantastic and you get lots of other really good bundled software like iPhoto, iWeb and Garageband. Plus you save money 'cos you don't need to buy anti virus software.

Billr

You don't have buy anti virus software for the PC anyway.
Google for AVG free it's darn good, also Zone alarm is a great free firewall.
Sorry for perpetuating the off topic posts, but someone may find it useful.

flymo

Established Member
If you're having difficulty with the mpeg format have you thought about transcoding to another format, for example Mpeg -> WMV. Would this lead to a loss of quality though?
There are a few free encoders out there, "Super" for example link. I've used this a few times for various things but it's not the easiest thing to use. There's also Format Factory. http://www.formatoz.com/
If you do try to transcode one of your files make sure you keep a back up of the original first in case things go awry. Yes I learned the hard way.

Just a though that's all.

Established Member
i take videos oni Mpeg format and it works on Movie Maker, so what better for me as i have a Sony Handycam DCR - SX30E, Sony Vegas or NERO, also if Sony Vegas, how much should i pay for the software?

If it helps i can make a "Introduction to/how to use NERO" just to show you some of the features of it

Teaboy1

One thing I have discovered [well blundered upon...] is if you fancy uploading videos to YouTube, whatever you use to convert your video footage make sure its going to do *.avi formats. I shoot in *.mts and have Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 and find it generally hopeless to get stuff onto YT. I noticed that all my videos were impossible to watch with the video playback at some 70% original speed and 100% audio speed. Everything went RS after some 15 seconds or so. Then I noticed a flyer on my YT homepage for AVSVideo Converter, now with this you can also generate a *.avi in either standard or HD format BUT once uploaded to YT, it plays back at 100% speed and everything is fine.....but its going to cost you $39 for the privilege. No great shakes like but without it YT are forcing you to buy their software which effectively puts a token/key on the file that allows you video to work. Any *.avi needs this to function otherwise your HD is a tiny tiny relic of its former clarity.
So may as well buy the AVSVideo straight away and save much faffing about!!:-x:-x

Status
Not open for further replies.