• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video Footage of Argentina Bus/Train/Train collision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Train looks very, very lightweight to have come off so easy.

swj99

That's what I wondered the first time I watched it. But if you look at it frame by frame, the first train keeps going in a straight line for a few frames after it hits the bus, until the bus is pushed round against the platform edge. At this point, the front of the first train is deflected into the path of the oncoming train by the presence of the bus which is jammed against the platform.
I guess if this accident had happened at another crossing and not right next to a station, the bus might have been pushed clear of the tracks and the train may not have been derailed.

Did you see the state of that bus at the end, despite the relatively low speed of the impact ?

Last edited:

The tracks in that line are in an awful state. This is the Sarmiento line, one of Buenos Aires' busiests. It connects the station of Once in Buenos Aires with the western suburbs (places such as Morón, Moreno, Luján). The operator is the worst of all train operators in the country. But they have a "good" relationship with the governing party, and you know what goes next...
Instead of taking the concession away, the government keeps in giving them new lines and services (such as the renewed service to Uruguay, and Misiones). The crossings are destroyed, and the signals and barriers barely work. This happens everyday, and as the signalling is from the 30's, the barriers close "very early". Making the Sarmiento Line guilty of a lot of traffic jams. This line is projected to run on a tunnel (although the project is very poor, it considerates only two tracks!! <(), let's hope we can see that before year 2430...

So, i wouldn't be surprised if another accident like this occurs. It's the sad true :( There are other lines in Buenos Aires that work really safe and reliable, but not this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.