• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Has anyone on here had any experience of video interviews?

I understand some of the TOCs are implementing video interviews as part of the application process. I don't know if they are additional interviews prior to being invited to a more formal face to face interview.

I am probably just as bad as Fred Flintstone in using modern technology and I have never used Skype or other devices where you can view people live.

I was actually invited for a video interview for a Virgin Trains role back in August but I was away for a few days in Wales at the time when they sent me an e-mail inviting me to record a video of myself. Unfortunately, I didn't have any Internet access during my break and the link had expired by the time I returned home meaning my application was all but dead in the water. I thought it was a bizarre request at the time but more and more employers seem to be using this method.

Also would you get suited and booted with a smart shirt and tie just to record something in your own living room? I know Virgin use this method and one of two of the Abellio TOCs seem to use it too. Anyone any experience of them and what actually goes on?

C J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I did one for a driver's job at Eurostar a year or two ago. I was in similar boat to you where I was on holiday at the time so only had holiday-esque clothes to wear, however I was fortunate enough to have internet access at the villa I was staying in. I made a bit of a joke at the surroundings and my attire in the video to explain, and it didn't appear to impact too much as it got me through to the next stages! I think it's just a way to get an idea of what you're like and start wittling numbers down in such a way in which companies can do so at their leisure without too much resource (physical face to face interviews etc, leaving that for when the numbers have already been reduced a bit).

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
It’s probably as much a money saving exercise as anything else. By having somebody record themselves there’s no need to have people come to an office or assessment centre to have a face to face interview necessarily, which certainly makes things more convenient.

Amanda

I've had two video interviews. The first one was a few months ago, I filmed it in our spare room, which is pretty quiet and neutral. There were 3 questions and I thought I'd answered them pretty well but I didn't get invited to a face-to-face interview, so....

The second one I did last weekend, in a rush as I was going on holiday and the deadline was while I was away. Did it in my bedroom, they could probably see the bedhead behind me to be honest. There were 2 questions and I found out today I'm invited to a face-to-face interview on Thursday!

Both were with the same TOC but for different roles. I didn't dress smartly but to be honest they can literally only see your head and shoulders anyway (well on my app anyway... It was done on my phone, maybe it's different on a laptop with a webcam.) I just made sure my hair and face looked presentable!

Red1980

I've done two. One I fell short on and the other I passed. Both were extremely different in what was expected of me but both very interesting.

I did it suited and booted personally......well kind of...... I was suited on the top half but I'd not long got out of bed so let's just say it's a good job they didn't ask for a full length photo hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.