• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video: London to Birmingham and New St works, 1967

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ilkestonian

Cracking stuff there!

I've seen those flat topped electrification carriages before; back in the day there was at least one set in the Salop Sidings just south of Stafford Station, presumably for maintenance use.

I can imagine the H&S reaction these days if it was proposed to put up the knitting by walking up and down the roof of a moving train!

And I well remember those ticket machines at Stafford too. Anyone know when they were phased out?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What a fascinating video! Smallbrook Queensway has changed so much since that video.

Thanks for sharing.

Rugd1022

http://www.britishpathe.com/ is a great source for these kinds of videos (complete with BBC accent) like GOODBYE TO STEAM.

In the OP video @8:30, Is that Bletchley?

Certainly is... interesting to see how much of the 'old' infrastructure is still there though despite the modernisation in progress.... the old station building and booking hall is there off to the right just beyond the row of stabled AC Electrics, and some of the sidings where the steam shed was alongside them, plus the old connection to the Oxford line and carriage shed that tailed into the down fast side under the 'new' flyover.

Cracking bit of film that, now safely tucked away in 'favourites' ;)

AlexS

Established Member
I can see why they liked it - it's all clean and shiny and new and it worked at the time.

If only they had the foresight to know what would become of The Pit though!

Status
Not open for further replies.