• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video: Reading bus strikes pedestrian, pedestrian continues to the pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
What on earth happened here?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/27/i-get-knocked-down-man-hit-by-bus-gets-back-up-again-and-heads-to-pub

CCTV recorded on Saturday on Gun Street, Reading captured the moment a Reading Buses double decker swung round two corners at speed and crashed out of control onto the pavement.

A pedestrian was struck, smashing the windshield in the process. He picked himself up and continued on his way (to the pub)!

He's ok, apparently. Anyone know any more? The bus appears to have been traveling at excessive speed through both the turns visible in the background.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, I saw it earlier on the BBC, staggering really.

Link, in case people don't want to visit the Grauniad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng.../cctv-footage-shows-man-hit-by-bus-in-reading
CCTV footage shows the shocking moment a man was hit by a bus on the street in Reading.

Simon Smith was knocked to the ground by the vehicle while walking along Gun Street. He was able to get back on his feet afterwards and suffered only bruising.

No arrests have been made. Reading Buses says it was an awful incident which is being investigated internally.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's incumbent upon the driver to report this to the police - was it reported?

Hophead

Established Member
The BBC local news reports state that the police are currently taking no action (which doesn't quite answer your question, I know).

WatcherZero

Established Member
You can see how much the bus was tilting from speeding through that S bend by the fact the top corner of the bus took out a ground floor bay window on the street (the bricks and wood debris which showers the pedestrian before he gets hit).

lth_bkr_240617buscrash_02jpg-large.jpg

JA_BRK_240617BusCrash_02.jpg

The pubs name and colour is rather ironic as well.

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
It's incumbent upon the driver to report this to the police - was it reported?

At the end of the video it certainly looks like a driver wearing Reading Buses uniform runs over and gets on the phone.

westcoaster

Established Member
To Me it looks like he is going a fair rate of knots as he enters the bend, then oversteers ( you can see the lean of the bus).
Have the e400's ever suffered from throttle jam, or engine runaways.

Last edited:

darloscott

These purple Enviros have recently been going through conversion from hybrids to full diesel. Not sure what effect that could have but Reading are a high quality operation so you'd expect everything to be spot on.

MarlowDonkey

A pedestrian was struck, smashing the windshield in the process. He picked himself up and continued on his way (to the pub)!

It was later revealed this was 9:00 am in the morning so the pub wasn't open. The accident victim said he went into the pub as the nearest place of safety and to await an ambulance. He was injured with cuts and bruises, but not seriously.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It was later revealed this was 9:00 am in the morning so the pub wasn't open. The accident victim said he went into the pub as the nearest place of safety and to await an ambulance. He was injured with cuts and bruises, but not seriously.

That's a shame. If I'd just punched a hole in the windscreen of an Enviro and been launched 20 feet along the pavement, I'd have been clamouring at the door for something strong... :D

RJ

Established Member
To Me it looks like he is going a fair rate of knots as he enters the bend, then oversteers ( you can see the lean of the bus).
Have the e400's ever suffered from throttle jam, or engine runaways.

Or good old fashioned driver error. Pedal confusion is very common. If the brake was depressed, the gear was set to neutral and the handbrake was engaged immediately after power surge became apparent, it could have been nipped in the bud. The throttle was released and brakes were clearly applied after the impact.

I had a power surge when stationary once in an Olympian. I mashed the gas in case it was stuck - engine continued to rev furiously. A fraction of a second later I fully applied the brakes, bus creeped forward so I pressed neutral and the engine went BANG. The bus stopped and an accident was averted. Have to be on the ball 100% of the time when driving.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Just saw the bus in question (229) being towed on the M4 eastbound between Reading and Maidenhead, just after Junction 10.

TheLastMinute

Looks like Reading Bus incident in June was down to good old fashion human error.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42358803:
Reading bus collision: Driver admits hitting pedestrian
A bus driver has admitted dangerous driving after his double-decker bus hit a pedestrian on a pavement in Reading.

Cheikh Daouda Senghor, 40, from St Johns Road in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates' Court earlier.

CCTV footage from 24 June, showing Simon Smith being knocked down in Gun Street before getting up and walking into a bar, went viral.

Mr Senghor will be sentenced at Reading Crown Court at a future date.

Status
Not open for further replies.