• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video shows possibly homeless man having dirty water poured around him outside Sutton Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDaDriver

Apparently Sutton station.

Much as Railway staff stick together, there is absolutely no excuse for this and I hope the man in question takes this up with the police.

https://twitter.com/pro_windscreens/status/1099751357916110848?s=21
Pro-Fit Windscreens said:
This is no way to treat a human being. Just ask him to move it's not rocket science but it does seem to be for these 2 scum bags. Need to be done for assault. They need sacking straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

Who ever it is stood there filming it isn't much better himself, just stood filming it instead of telling them to stop. It's a strange society we live in now.

Jordeh

Who ever it is stood there filming it isn't much better himself, just stood filming it instead of telling them to stop. It's a strange society we live in now.
I disagree, thanks to the video we can be sure they're held accountable for their actions and this behaviour is discouraged in future.

philthetube

Established Member
Without knowing anything about the person filming, could be a 10 year old, it is impossible to judge, also getting it on film will have much better benefits overall than stopping one incident.

tommy2215

My guess is the staff asked the homeless guy to move given where he was sitting and the homeless guy refused to move

Master29

Established Member
They key word is in the OP`s title. "Appears". (Now editied) I don`t actually see them throw water over the guy at all, just beside him and how do we know this guy hasn`t soiled himself. Let`s be honest here, no one would want to accidently tread on this guys deposits if it`s true. Not saying this is the case but still a possibility nonetheless. Looking at the replies people as always too quick to judge and not look for alternative reasons. How do we even know if he is homeless?

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
We have only one side of the story. The "guy" may have been drunk and deposited a load of "sick" outside the station, which would need urgent cleaning .

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
They key word is in the OP`s title. "Appears". I don`t actually see them throw water over the guy at all
Agreed. They pour water near him but not on or over him.

We have only one side of the story. The "guy" may have been drunk and deposited a load of "sick" outside the station, which would need urgent cleaning .
Exactly! We're taking one side of this story as gospel and the camera doesn't start rolling until mid incident. It's also been slowed down so make of that what you will.

nottsnurse

What?

Regardless of what he has done, chucking the contents of a mop bucket over someone sat on the ground, outside in winter, is a despicable act.

Oh and as for the splitting hairs of over him/near him, its thrown in a way that ensures the water hits him.

tommy2215

What?

Regardless of what he has done, chucking the contents of a mop bucket over someone sat on the ground, outside in winter, is a despicable act.

Oh and as for the splitting hairs of over him/near him, its thrown in a way that ensures the water hits him.

At no point during the video does he get anything chucked over him.

robbeech

Established Member
I’m glad we have the usual replies trying desperately to justify the monumentally unacceptable behaviour by a member of railway staff.
It wouldn’t be the same without them.

You can bet your life that if a video had shown a guard randomly kick a child down a flight of steps there will be people here trying to justify it.

Master29

Established Member
What?

At no point was water "thrown over him". Have you not thought there might be other reasons why they chose to do this. How do you know he didn`t soil himself or vomit all over the platform as mentioned earlier. He may well have been easily able to move but chose to make a point. Can be any number of reasons for what happened here and members have offered some. Besides, in this particular video which is a less than 1 and a half minute clip how can we make any accurate conclusions. Try not to get so twitter about it.

aleggatta

This situation should never have happened end of. If someone had soiled themselves/the area around them and were refusing to move then the appropriate authorities should be contacted to remove said person before any cleanup operation commences. what is shown in the video is effectively assault and there is no way to justify it.

Master29

Established Member
I’m glad we have the usual replies trying desperately to justify the monumentally unacceptable behaviour by a member of railway staff.

You can bet your life that if a video had shown a guard randomly kick a child down a flight of steps there will be people here trying to justify it.
Really, Have you watched the video? Please, enlighten us as to what was unacceptable that couldn`t have possibly had other explanations?

Bucephalus

but you weren't there okay! And the child was travelling ticketless

robbeech

Established Member
Really, Have you watched the video? Please, enlighten us as to what was unacceptable that couldn`t have possibly had other explanations?

It’ll be the point where the member of railway staff pours water from the bucket next to the man sat on the ground. If there had been a need to use reasonable force to get them to move it should be referred to the BTP. If there was a contamination risk from bodily fluids then this is NOT the protocol for dealing with it.

Master29

Established Member
It’ll be the point where the member of railway staff pours water from the bucket next to the man sat on the ground. If there had been a need to use reasonable force to get them to move it should be referred to the BTP. If there was a contamination risk from bodily fluids then this is NOT the protocol for dealing with it.
You`re probably correct but I`d hardly call it assault; certainly not the way some people are painting it.

robbeech

Established Member
it’s possible (should we risk saying probable?) that the man had been causing some form of issue. I’d find it unlikely that a staff member would randomly do that without there being anything to provoke that reaction. However no matter how we look at it, that reaction is not acceptable. It’s dirty water, so it’s unlikely to be a contamination removal exercise.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

At no pont is anyone suggesting this is acceptable behaviour just that the video lacks context and explanation.

Surely people are entitled to speculate or offer context and interpretation, just as you are doing. After all you can bet your life some ruk expert will be on quickly to denigrate the people invovled despite not being in possession of the facts.

The video seems awful however none of us know what happened or why. That wont stop the wibble mind.......

tsr

Established Member
I’m not going to directly comment on the staff actions (including no attempt on my part to excuse them), but just to mention a couple of things about the overall environment:

1. The video is of the pavement outside Sutton station, not the concourse (if you can call it that) or platforms. It would be pretty extreme for station staff to even consider washing down the streets outside their station, let alone with a person lying there.

2. Although not to provide mitigation, don’t forget that the South London rail network is hardly glamorous, and has a reputation for having a sprawling network of stations with numerous interesting characters in the vicinity and/or travelling. Unfortunately the whole area (not just GTR stations) has had scant byelaw enforcement for a very long time. It is hardly unlikely that such an incident as this one may occur, and there may be a great deal of contributory factors.

mmh

Established Member
I’m not going to directly comment on the staff actions (including no attempt on my part to excuse them), but just to mention a couple of things about the overall environment:

1. The video is of the pavement outside Sutton station, not the concourse (if you can call it that) or platforms. It would be pretty extreme for station staff to even consider washing down the streets outside their station, let alone with a person lying there.

2. Although not to provide mitigation, don’t forget that the South London rail network is hardly glamorous, and has a reputation for having a sprawling network of stations with numerous interesting characters in the vicinity and/or travelling. Unfortunately the whole area (not just GTR stations) has had scant byelaw enforcement for a very long time. It is hardly unlikely that such an incident as this one may occur, and there may be a great deal of contributory factors.

1. Yes, that's exactly where it is
2. Sutton may not be glamorous, but it's hardly a ghetto, and the police exist if they're needed

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The video seems awful however none of us know what happened or why. That wont stop the wibble mind.......

Can you envisage any circumstance under which what they did would be acceptable? I can't. There is no need to question why, as there is no valid why.

If it was Railway property and they needed to use reasonable force to remove him, that wouldn't be with a bucket of water which might, for instance, cause a homeless person with no other clothes a case of hypothermia later. It would be by, for example, having one person on each arm and physically moving him.

If it is not Railway property they have no right to attempt to move him anyway, if he is causing a nuisance they call the Police.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Can you envisage any circumstance under which what they did would be acceptable? I can't. There is no need to question why, as there is no valid why.

Stating the blindingly obvious: It shouldn't have happened and is appalling. ( That should go without saying but this board..........)

However, I disagree that it is not important to know why. it is crucial to know why. If we want to fix problems we have to understand them and not just hang someone on the basis of a short video that cannot show the full story.

Master29

Established Member
It definitely is assault.
A minor assualt possibly but hardly in the league as per kicking a child down the station stairs as someone quoted earlier.
So you’d laugh it off if it happened to you?
Of course I wouldn`t but that isn`t the point is it.
Stating the blindingly obvious: It shouldn't have happened and is appalling. ( That should go without saying but this board..........)

However, I disagree that it is not important to know why. it is crucial to know why. If we want to fix problems we have to understand them and not just hang someone on the basis of a short video that cannot show the full story.
Precisely.

Master29

Established Member
I am genuinely stunned that people are trying to justify what happened here.
Nobody is trying to justify anything. Just explore other explanations as to what appears (OP`s original title) to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.