• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video storing as Jpg on my Win7 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I have posted this under a new header as I wasn't being noticed on my previous thread. :)

I was on the Greater Anglia short set last week and took some images and video with my Lumix TZ30. When I transferred everything to my Pictures on my Win7 PC the video is showing as a still Jpg shot, yet when I look on my Lumix it is video.
Can any members tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to save my couple of videos?
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I have posted this under a new header as I wasn't being noticed on my previous thread. :)

I was on the Greater Anglia short set last week and took some images and video with my Lumix TZ30. When I transferred everything to my Pictures on my Win7 PC the video is showing as a still Jpg shot, yet when I look on my Lumix it is video.
Can any members tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to save my couple of videos?
TIA

I have no direct experience, but I suggest you check the software you use to transfer from the Lumix to your computer. If it is any good, I would expect it to contain a section about "Options" for the file formats that are available to save the video on the computer. Choose to save in whatever video format(s) are offered. (Could be something like .wmv, or .mp4, but not .jpg)

38Cto15E

Thank you B P, I will have a look over the weekend to see if I can make any progress.

pdq

What format did you use on the camera? I've got a similar Lumix and there are two to choose from.

etr221

A few thoughts:
  • If the camera has a removable SD card that it stores images/ videos on, take it out and browse it directly from your PC, to see what it actually created when it recorded (ensure you can see the file extensions). Take care that you look only - unless you really know what you're doing. Or you may loose stuff. If you look in one of the files, using textpad or such, you may or may not see something interesting, again be careful not to change anything.
  • RTFM - the manual for the camera should be available on line, and should tell you what (file) formats it can be or is using - if it doesn't tell you what to do with them, at least you'll have some search terms for Google.
  • If the camera came with its own software (for downloading/controlling camera/viewing what you've taken), investigate that - the default may be that the camera uses a Lumix only format, that only their software can deal with.
  • Googling jpeg video format came up with answers (so it would seem to exist) - if you do the same, and look at them, you may find answers to your problem.
  • Some image viewing software, eg Irfanview (download for free) will let you look at the metadata (file information), may be interesting

38Cto15E

Thanks a lot guys, i have been busy for a couple of days and there is no urgency so I will have a play around and get back to you. ps: I do have the software and basic operating instructions.
EDIT
I have now cracked it, I first transferred from camera to PC as I have always done but on my Lumix it was Pictbridge which allowed the transfer, after consulting PhotofunStudio software I had to transfer via PC, so now I am good to go, many thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.