• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Videos from my Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

[youtube]H5m7ihVCoF8[/youtube]

After Stephens videos thought i better finish the one i had already started over summer and with a few locos of his in the later half, here it is!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nathan

love it!! but come on Nathan, ditch the Select, if you saw what I witnessed you'd hang your head with pity! btw folks I so will NOT be posting what I saw. Lets just say it involves a Hornby Select lol.

Try me...

All of this was done on my select i havnt really found any problems with it, it does the job.

Nathan

Well under those circumstances i can see the problems there! I just find that hard to believe and i guess i was lucky to have purchased a working unit :lol:

NMRA compatibility being?

kettlefan

NMRA compatibility being?

the National Model Railroad Association set the standards for all model railway products. As you may have gathered, sometimes these are not adhered to by companies :razz:

basically if a digital system is NMRA compatible it will work with every digital chip or controller under the sun that is badged as NMRA compatible, and thats most of them (excepting Zero 1 and the old Airfix systems)

However the Hornby system is neither compatible or compliant, which means that its going to work to a point. If you took a Lenz chip for example and ran it on the Select or Elite, you'd destroy the chip very quickly, because the voltage peaks (something like 60 a second!) are way outside the normal limits of such chips. Would you believe that each of these split second 40-60 odd peaks max out at anything up to 60 volts? NMRA standards demand a total of 22 volts per peak, so although it will work, its not "compatible" in the literal sense. A decoder designed to use 28 volts tops running on wildly varying voltages up to 60 volts is going to leave a very unpleasent odour after a while running.

I have always been fascinated as to how digital systems work and develop and so am always interested when things like this happen. As I understand it, Hornby have submitted the Elite for compliance testing with the NMRA test team, so things should look up. I think when Hornby get rid of this bug bear, they'll have a system to be proud of. Hell its surpassed Zero 1 as it is! Where you could only have 16 locos, you now get 99 odd!

The Hornby System works well, when its only with Hornby digital equipment.

Nathan

Uh Oh...

Well at current i have all hornby decoders, but i planned to upgrade some gradually onto SWD chips? I know Nathan Rodgers has Bachmanns sound class 20 is there a danger here too, they are expensive chips to buy.

Beaker

Established Member
the National Model Railroad Association set the standards for all model railway products. As you may have gathered, sometimes these are not adhered to by companies :razz:

basically if a digital system is NMRA compatible it will work with every digital chip or controller under the sun that is badged as NMRA compatible, and thats most of them (excepting Zero 1 and the old Airfix systems)

However the Hornby system is neither compatible or compliant, which means that its going to work to a point. If you took a Lenz chip for example and ran it on the Select or Elite, you'd destroy the chip very quickly, because the voltage peaks (something like 60 a second!) are way outside the normal limits of such chips. Would you believe that each of these split second 40-60 odd peaks max out at anything up to 60 volts? NMRA standards demand a total of 22 volts per peak, so although it will work, its not "compatible" in the literal sense. A decoder designed to use 28 volts tops running on wildly varying voltages up to 60 volts is going to leave a very unpleasent odour after a while running.

I have always been fascinated as to how digital systems work and develop and so am always interested when things like this happen. As I understand it, Hornby have submitted the Elite for compliance testing with the NMRA test team, so things should look up. I think when Hornby get rid of this bug bear, they'll have a system to be proud of. Hell its surpassed Zero 1 as it is! Where you could only have 16 locos, you now get 99 odd!

The Hornby System works well, when its only with Hornby digital equipment.

Actually most lenz chips work on the select i am led to believe where as if you use hornby chips on anything else they blow up so to say.

Nathan

Bit 50/50 on this still, most lenz decoders isnt reasuring well and neither is the prospect of decoders blowing up. Any factual evidence i dont suppose, im partially more intersted in sound decoders on the select, apparently Bachmanns 20 functions 5-8 dont work on the select anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.