• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vienna airport to central Vienna - which is the best way to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

It occured this morning that I have a ton of stuff to organise for my Vienna trip in November. I know it's a little under 6 months away, but with all the other trips I have to organise, I need to get it all sorted.

Anyway, I need advice from experts. When I looked the other week, there are multiple journey options by rail to get to the city centre. City Airport Train looks the most sensible but expensive option, then there's using mainline trains which aren't cheap either but looked complicated to understand. There's also a stopper train option, from what I could gather, but how the pricing worked on it I'm not sure. One minute it's suggested it's only a couple of Euro, then it's not, hence confusion.

Anyone here done the transfer? I'm leaning towards the expensive but simplest option, which looks nice but is 17 Euro return each.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Hi all,

It occured this morning that I have a ton of stuff to organise for my Vienna trip in November. I know it's a little under 6 months away, but with all the other trips I have to organise, I need to get it all sorted.

Anyway, I need advice from experts. When I looked the other week, there are multiple journey options by rail to get to the city centre. City Airport Train looks the most sensible but expensive option, then there's using mainline trains which aren't cheap either but looked complicated to understand. There's also a stopper train option, from what I could gather, but how the pricing worked on it I'm not sure. One minute it's suggested it's only a couple of Euro, then it's not, hence confusion.

Anyone here done the transfer? I'm leaning towards the expensive but simplest option, which looks nice but is 17 Euro return each.

The CAT certainly is not worth the extra money in my view. The S-bahn S7 service runs from Vienna airport and stops at a number of places (including the station where the CAT terminates) in Vienna where you can change onto the metro or trams. Vienna operates a zonal fare structure (€2.20 per zone when I was last there earlier this year). The airport is outside the central zone and thus you need a two zone ticket (or two one zone tickets) - don't forget to validate or you will be clobbered with a MASSIVE fine if caught!!

If you are going to buy a Vienna card which among other things gets you cheap access to museums and acts as a travelcard in the central zone you only need to buy a one zone ticket from the airport.

See link:
https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/airport-to-center/express-train-s7

Happy to try to help if you have any more questions.

Edited to add:
All of the public transport options for getting into Vienna.
https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/airport-to-center

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The CAT (City Airport Train) fare appears to be €12 single and €19 return, and takes you to Mitte.
Looks like you have to buy at least a 1-zone wiener linien ticket to get the €17 CAT fare so no real saving.

All the other transport works on the zonal system and Flughafen Wien-Schwechat is in zone 280 (ie you need to pay for 2 zones to/from the centre).
The zonal fare is €2.20 (€2.30 on board), so it looks like €4.40 each way to anywhere in the centre (Zone 100).
Includes S-bahn (S7) and ÖBB services (seems to include RJ/IC etc).
Once in Zone 100 you can use 24/48/72-hour tourist tickets.
All services operate every 30 minutes (including the CAT).

You can buy Airport-City tickets (CAT or ÖBB plus 24-hour city ticket) in advance here: https://shop.wienerlinien.at/index.php/product/3/show/0/0/0/0/buy#ticket_options

Zonal map: http://transitmap.net/image/42384098970
Fast routes: http://www.wienerlinien.at/media/files/2016/svp_175727.pdf
Airport routes: http://www.schnellbahn-wien.at/web/flughafen_wien-schwechat.html

Last edited:

deep south

We did this last autumn, and due to my lack of preparation I didn't realise the CAT was a "premium" service. if you get a Vienna Pass (either in advance or from the office at the airport) you can use the S-Bahn. it is only slightly slower and much cheaper.

Just don't make the mistake I did - there is a dedicated platform for the CAT at the airport - the ticket validators are different but it isn't too clearly marked as such. Make sure you get the "stopping" S-bahn; the ticket inspector arrived just as we arrived into Mitte and we (and another couple) were marched to the ticket machine to buy new tickets - at least we weren't fined!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers for the advice all, I shall re-read all of it properly later but I think we will certainly look at the S-Bahn, cheapest might be best!

Gordon

I concur with all responses.

Like some other city/airport links (Heathrow included) around the world, it is fast versus cheap. Vienna is remarkably similar to Heathrow with a fast premium service and slower 'ordinary' service options. Businessmen in the city for a day might prefer the fast premium service, but tourists are likely to be happy with a slower cheaper service.

Myb

The CAT and the S-Bahn runs on the same line with no overtaking, so the first train leaving will be the first one arriving (both lines are 2tph). Personally I take the S-Bahn which is perfectly fine, the CAT is not really not worth the extra cost IMO.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
I concur with all responses.

Like some other city/airport links (Heathrow included) around the world, it is fast versus cheap. Vienna is remarkably similar to Heathrow with a fast premium service and slower 'ordinary' service options. Businessmen in the city for a day might prefer the fast premium service, but tourists are likely to be happy with a slower cheaper service.

Actually the Vienna situation mirrors the Heathrow Express vs Connect in that the City Airport Train takes about 15 minutes and the S-Bahn is 25 minutes. If you're not in a rush, the S-Bahn is really the best option for the money saved.

It depends where you are staying in Vienna, the central districts are fairly spread out. The CAT and S-Bahn take you to Mitte, which is some distance on the U-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof. In that case, the quickest way may be one of the express trains from the Airport to Hauptbahnhof (but they're not that frequent). Equally, if you're staying near Mariahilferstrasse (the big shopping street) or out towards Schoenbrunn, the express bus to the Westbahnhof may be the quickest option.

Wolfie

Established Member
Actually the Vienna situation mirrors the Heathrow Express vs Connect in that the City Airport Train takes about 15 minutes and the S-Bahn is 25 minutes. If you're not in a rush, the S-Bahn is really the best option for the money saved.

It depends where you are staying in Vienna, the central districts are fairly spread out. The CAT and S-Bahn take you to Mitte, which is some distance on the U-Bahn to the Hauptbahnhof. In that case, the quickest way may be one of the express trains from the Airport to Hauptbahnhof (but they're not that frequent). Equally, if you're staying near Mariahilferstrasse (the big shopping street) or out towards Schoenbrunn, the express bus to the Westbahnhof may be the quickest option.
Not entirely accurate. The S7 does not terminate at Wien Mitte, it goes further. I'm struggling (on my phone and dire wifi) to access the Vienna system map but accessing Mariahilferstrasse is max 1 change (and might be zero)...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I forget right now which part of Vienna we're staying in, but it's near a tram route on the west side of town. 10 minute journey from the city centre I believe, but I'd look into it.

Sounds like the S-Bahn will be the most sensible idea :)

WestCoast

Established Member
Not entirely accurate. The S7 does not terminate at Wien Mitte, it goes further. I'm struggling (on my phone and dire wifi) to access the Vienna system map but accessing Mariahilferstrasse is max 1 change (and might be zero)...

Yes, the S7 also stops at Praterstern, which could also be handy as it's a major interchange and there are hotels there too.

You can access Mariahilferstraße relatively easily from Mitte on the U3. Although as it's a very long road the express bus to Westbahnhof could be handy if you're staying near there or are catching a train to e.g. Salzburg from there. I admit if you don't have luggage the S-Bahn/U-Bahn trip could be just as convenient though.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
It has been mentioned, but just to make sure it's clear - if you have a pass for the city zone (e.g.; 24/48/72 hour or weekly ticket) then you just need to buy (and validate) a single zone ticket to cover you for the extra part of the journey to/from the airport.

Established Member
If you catch the S Bahn (I would recommend using that as well), the easiest place to change if you want to head towards the Hbf or Meidling is Rennweg as it is an island platform so no steps involved. If you are staying round towards the Westbf then I have always found the easiest way is to change at Quartier Belvedere or Hbf and catch Tram 18; though changing at Landstraße / Wien Mitte for U3 would be better if the hotel is very near Westbf.

PS. If you haven't finalised where you are staying I would recommend somewhere near the Hbf for going anywhere by rail as Westbf is a bit of backwater these days.

racklam

Travelling to Vienna next week and I was wondering, if I buy two single tickets to get from the airport to the centre (or vice versa), do I validate both tickets at the start of the journey? Or does one need to be validated when the zone boundary is crossed?

Veteran Member
Validate before boarding - I don't recall ÖBB trains having on board validators.

I've not used the system but it reads as if you get issued 2 tickets for the single journey, is that what you are referring to?

See Wolfie's post below for correct info.

Last edited:

racklam

From what I can tell online, as the airport is outside the central Vienna zone, two single tickets are needed to make the journey into the centre.

I suppose the first question is whether you're issued with two physical tickets, or one ticket that says "2 singles" (or similar) on it? And if it's two physical tickets, do these both need to be validated at the start of the journey?

Thanks!

Wolfie

Established Member
From what I can tell online, as the airport is outside the central Vienna zone, two single tickets are needed to make the journey into the centre.

I suppose the first question is whether you're issued with two physical tickets, or one ticket that says "2 singles" (or similar) on it? And if it's two physical tickets, do these both need to be validated at the start of the journey?

Thanks!

You are correct about the airport to the centre being two zones (as was said earlier on this thread).

If you buy a ticket specifically you will get one ticket (don't forget to validate it - validators are on the platforms). If you happen to have a strip ticket or some unused one zone tickets I was told that validating two is perfectly valid (perhaps, if you haven't been there before, more likely for the return trip)....

Last edited:

Shinkansenfan

I just returned from a trip that included Vienna. I took OBB's intercity train from VIE Airport to the Hauptbahnhof--which itself is worth a long visit as it is architecturally interesting and a destination on its own.

Returning, I had a chance to ride OBB's Railjet intercity train, which is worth sampling if only for about 17 minutes. Both the regular intercity train (locomotive hauled) and Railjet run hourly for a combined headway of 30 minutes. Regular fare tariffs apply; no supplements needed.

Wolfie

Established Member
I just returned from a trip that included Vienna. I took OBB's intercity train from VIE Airport to the Hauptbahnhof--which itself is worth a long visit as it is architecturally interesting and a destination on its own.

Returning, I had a chance to ride OBB's Railjet intercity train, which is worth sampling if only for about 17 minutes. Both the regular intercity train (locomotive hauled) and Railjet run hourly for a combined headway of 30 minutes. Regular fare tariffs apply; no supplements needed.

my bold

I was told in Vienna in March that use of the Intercity service was more expensive than the S-bahn. Obviously I should have looked more closely at the link I posted myself before. You are indeed correct. See below.

https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/airport-to-cente

Last edited:

Shinkansenfan

my bold

I was told in Vienna in March that use of the Intercity service was more expensive than the S-bahn. Obviously I should have looked more closely at the link I posted myself before. You are indeed correct. See below.

https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/to-and-around/airport-to-cente

You're welcome!

Vienna is a compact city and with the hauptbahnhof linked by U-bahn, to me it doesn't matter much where in Vienna one arrives.

Being able to travel in the comfort of a Railjet service for the price of an S-bahn is a real bargain, and certainly much cheaper than taking the CAT express service.

__

Vienna also offers bike share for only a 1 Euro membership fee! The bikes are some of the clunkiest bikes I've ever peddled, but they get the job done.

I signed up and checked out a bike to chase after the Ring Bahn tourist tram to photograph it in different locations. Surprisingly, I was able to keep up with that tram until I peeled off to photograph a trolley bus.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

I did HBF - Airport this am on the 0737 Railjet and a very pleasant experience it was too.Nice bit of freight activity noted from the train too as you pass a large yard.

Does not seem widely known by (say) hotel staff - who "know" about the S7 and the dedicated express ( a single on which is 12E - bargain compared to HEX!)

Shinkansenfan

I did HBF - Airport this am on the 0737 Railjet and a very pleasant experience it was too.Nice bit of freight activity noted from the train too as you pass a large yard.

Does not seem widely known by (say) hotel staff - who "know" about the S7 and the dedicated express ( a single on which is 12E - bargain compared to HEX!)

Glad that you enjoyed the trip! I think it is good value, comfortable and a nice way to get to/from the airport. Especially with the new Hauptbahnhof at one end of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.