• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vienna to Bratislava (Preßburg/Poszony)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senex

Established Member
ÖBB began work at the end of September on the upgrading of the old main line between these two cities. The 37.5-km section between Stadlau and Marchegg will be re-doubled, 13 level crossings will be abolished, and line-speed will go up from 120 km/h to 160 km/h. Work on the Slovak side will come later. The €500 million cost will be supported by EU regional funds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
That should mean that that line should be electrified; as far as i know it is still diesel.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Presumably the Nordbahn line from Gänserndorf to Marchegg is being electrified as well?
I think this was the first line to link Bratislava and Vienna dating from 1848, the Marcheggerbahn cut-off from Stadlau coming in 1870.

The shortest route between Vienna and Bratislava was actually the 1914 Pressburgerbahn via Schwechat (where Vienna airport is), but the line was cut at Wolfsthal during the cold war and the 3km Slovak stretch lifted.
Although I haven't tried, it is still a viable way to reach Bratislava if you are arriving by air at Vienna, using the S-bahn to Wolfsthal and local bus across the border, avoiding the detour into Vienna.

Last edited:

Not really answering the question, but I can say that I used this service a week ago at the end of a few days in Vienna. It is well worth the 16 Euro's return, which includes full validity on Bratislava's Trams as well. It is still diesel loco hauled - Push/Pull load 4 and takes just over the hour.
By the way, does anyone know the mileage each way?

Thanks

Groningen

Established Member
The station of Kittsee is directly at the border of Slowakia. The train travels from Deutschkreutz to Bratislava-Petrzalka via Wien Hbf. It means that it travels from Austria, Hungary, Austria to Slowakia. Wien - Bratislava is there 59 minutes; via Marchegg 7 minutes slower. If the upgrade is done; it should be faster. Bratislava-Petrzalka to Bratislava main station (and v.v.) is via Wien and takes 3 hours. This is without walking or taking public transport in Bratislava. Distance between the 2 stations is about 4 to 5 kilometers.

Senex

Established Member
Presumably the Nordbahn line from Gänserndorf to Marchegg is being electrified as well?
I think this was the first line to link Bratislava and Vienna dating from 1848, the Marcheggerbahn cut-off from Stadlau coming in 1870.

The shortest route between Vienna and Bratislava was actually the 1914 Pressburgerbahn via Schwechat (where Vienna airport is), but the line was cut at Wolfsthal during the cold war and the 3km Slovak stretch lifted.
Although I haven't tried, it is still a viable way to reach Bratislava if you are arriving by air at Vienna, using the S-bahn to Wolfsthal and local bus across the border, avoiding the detour into Vienna.
I think the KFN line from Gänserndorf to Marchegg is indeed due for electrification. As you say, this branch of the Nordbahn was the first connection to what was then Preßburg.

The Marchegger Ostbahn -- the line I was writing about -- was indeed opened in 1870, by the K.k. priviligierte österreichisch-ungarische Staatseisenbahn-Gesellschaft, commonly known as the Staatsbahn. For a long time this formerly double-track line was the principal route to Budapest (when the Hegyeshalom line was still single track), heading for Budapest West. It was the route used by the Orient Express. The line is a branch of the Laaer Ostbahn and the Vienna station was the Ostbahnhof / Staatsbahnhof.

Status
Not open for further replies.