• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin 1st Class - First trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going Glasgow to London this Friday on the 14:40, got first class tickets which will be my first time in FC on any TOC, what can I expect? It talks about complimentery drinks, does this mean I can neck as many beers as I like?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Going Glasgow to London this Friday on the 14:40, got first class tickets which will be my first time in FC on any TOC, what can I expect? It talks about complimentery drinks, does this mean I can neck as many beers as I like?

Weekend service only I'm afraid.

Tea/ Coffee, water, Pepsi, biscuits and crisps is all you'll get. :(

If it is a normal weekday service i believe you get beer and food, if because its between christmas and new year they are only running a weekend service then it will be just tea, coffee buscuits and crisps (i think).

scotsman

Established Member
If an onboard CSA doesn't make an appearance after 20mins or so, it might be worth taking a walk to the shop (Coach C) to collect your freebies. However, generally if that's the case, the CSA in the shop would generally say so in their own announcement/plug over the PA

SS4

Established Member
Consider it a way of getting a guaranteed seat with more leg room and a bit of peace and quiet, hopefully you won't end up as disappointed with the weekend fare which is basically soft drinks, crisps, fruit and biscuits.

It's not bad, especially the free tea - the lounge at Euston isn't really worth it IMO

Robin GX

Service is ok, plenty of food and drink though all delivered without any style at all. I find East Coast's offering better, and the seats in First a lot more comfortable and spacious than the narrow Pendolinos.

CosherB

Established Member
Virgin seem to be reducing the drinks trolly journeys through 1st (I'm talking weekdays of course). Time was it made 2 return journeys up and down the 1st class section of the train (this was Manchester Euston) so you'd get up to 4 G&Ts to neck (assuming you're not driving from the station!).

Recently I've seen as few as one one-way passage of the trolly, so one drink only. But you can ask for another drink from a passing steward.

Anyone else noticed this?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One run only today of the "catering" - no tableclothes , tea etc and crisps and biscuits only - 1st class being deserted on the Manchester run.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One run only today of the "catering" - no tableclothes , tea etc and crisps and biscuits only - 1st class being deserted on the Manchester run.

Are there ever tablecloths? Also the time between Christmas and New Year even during the week is being run as a weekend service so drinks, biscuits and snacks are all that can be expected.

Butts

Veteran Member
Virgin seem to be reducing the drinks trolly journeys through 1st (I'm talking weekdays of course). Time was it made 2 return journeys up and down the 1st class section of the train (this was Manchester Euston) so you'd get up to 4 G&Ts to neck (assuming you're not driving from the station!).

Recently I've seen as few as one one-way passage of the trolly, so one drink only. But you can ask for another drink from a passing steward.

I have already highlighted the fact "a one drink per run" seems to be coming in by stealth on both Virgin and East Coast.

One issue I have attempted to address is how the booze is "accounted for"

As the amount consumed is a variable cost, perhaps in these cash strapped times, staff are being encouraged to "give away as little as possible"

A lot of passengers do not avail themselves of the free alcohol so this is a fairly spurious course of action.

Once again can anyone give a definitive answer as to how consumption is accounted for which would allow a judgement on the motives behind the "scrooge like" attitude of staff. Perhaps they get a bonus for the reduction in alcohol consumed by customers.

scotsman

Established Member
Virgin are short of staff and can't hire any more until the new franchise starts - hence the casual jobs and the 12 month contracts for new CSAs recently. This means that, if there's a shortage of crew, the shop gets priority - hence the non existence of trolley runs (the shop CSA would have to close up to do it, and they're not obliged to!)

I believe that the CSAs have an unwritten rule that it's "one run per stop" where possible

bengolding

Virgin are short of staff and can't hire any more until the new franchise starts - hence the casual jobs and the 12 month contracts for new CSAs recently. This means that, if there's a shortage of crew, the shop gets priority - hence the non existence of trolley runs (the shop CSA would have to close up to do it, and they're not obliged to!)

I believe that the CSAs have an unwritten rule that it's "one run per stop" where possible

In my experience (currently on a First Class season with Virgin) the drinks trolley comes round once from Euston-West Midlands/Preston/Manchester/Liverpool. When it returns back to coach K, the crew may or may not ask if you want another drink. If they don't, just ask for another which works for me. As I've said before, I've found certain Scotish crews adhere strictly to one drink per run but last week I had no problems getting a G&T and a wine with my Evening Meal from the London crew.

Perhaps if anyone works on board Virgin here, they can confirm?

wintonian

Established Member
On the 24th and 28th, Euston - Manchester there were 2 trolley runs and not many people in first class, in fact there were only 2 other people in coach G on the return and not many in standard either.

Oddly there were pastry's on the way out but not on the return.

Butts

Veteran Member
In my experience (currently on a First Class season with Virgin) the drinks trolley comes round once from Euston-West Midlands/Preston/Manchester/Liverpool. When it returns back to coach K, the crew may or may not ask if you want another drink. If they don't, just ask for another which works for me. As I've said before, I've found certain Scotish crews adhere strictly to one drink per run but last week I had no problems getting a G&T and a wine with my Evening Meal from the London crew.

Perhaps if anyone works on board Virgin here, they can confirm?

What would happen if everyone asked for an alcoholic drink as from my experience a lot don't. They should specify EXACTLY what the rules are either unlimited or one per trip then everyone would know where they stand.

The "accounting" method is the key to this whole affair:idea:

One issue I have attempted to address is how the booze is "accounted for"

Perhaps they get a bonus for the reduction in alcohol consumed by customers.

:lol: I'm not quite sure how that would work but for the record there is no such policy.It i'snt accounted for.
(I can only speak for EC however, not Virgin)

krisk

In my experience I would normally serve drinks, food and another round of drinks and that is all. In ten years I have never seen a drinks trolley go four times

Asking for more is dependent on time, stock levels and passenger loadings hence why I work to a structure and not to an "at demand" service
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would say one per person on the outbound run, if someone asks for more on the return run I would give it. If it means that others lose out by someone wanting more then the answer would be no. For me its about balance, discretion but good customer service.

CosherB

Established Member
In my experience I would normally serve drinks, food and another round of drinks and that is all. In ten years I have never seen a drinks trolley go four times

The '2 return trolley trips' was in the early pre-Pendelino days of Virgin. Indeed, during the not infrequent breakdown of those old trains, 1st class passengers were somewhat pacified by even more generous rations from the booze trolley!
Asking for more is dependent on time, stock levels and passenger loadings hence why I work to a structure and not to an "at demand" service
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would say one per person on the outbound run, if someone asks for more on the return run I would give it. If it means that others lose out by someone wanting more then the answer would be no. For me its about balance, discretion but good customer service.

Which pretty much confirms the policy of reduction in free booze by Virgin in recent years. Stock levels didn't seem to be a problem in pre-Pendo days!

krisk

I worked MkIII and HST and stock levels were still limited to a certain degree, if its busy I wouldn't double up beers untill everyone has been served for example.

I can't comment on what others may have done but to the best of my knowledge we always worked send out drinks, send out food (on the all day offer) or head back to the kitchen to help serve the resturant meals, once the food had been served then bring back the drinks.

There are areas I am not allowed to comment upon but back in MkIII days there were less set swaps, so the set I boarded in the morning was mine all day. I also used to work regular diagrams so I would know that a certain train in an evening had a good take up on white wine or if the restraunt meal service was steaks then keep a good supply of red wine.

Believe it or not I don't like to say no to people and also recognise that bums on seats keeps me in a job but if you are told one only, or a drinks trolley goes out and straight back, there may be a good reason why.

bengolding

Believe it or not I don't like to say no to people and also recognise that bums on seats keeps me in a job but if you are told one only, or a drinks trolley goes out and straight back, there may be a good reason why.

If you're based in Manchester, you've probably served me breakfast at some point, as most of the trains I get from Rugby/Nuneaton start from Manchester. The Piccadilly crews are great although I find a few of the TMs aren't as welcoming.

Since VHF, do you work various routes or do you purely stick to Euston-Manchester? I know some London crews do a Euston-Glasgow return regularly which is a heck of a long day.

Out of interest, do on board staff have a say with regards to the Light Bites sandwich options? More recently, I've found some of the bizarre sandwich filling combinations leave much to be desired! Why not keep it plain and simple like some of the EC ones I had recently in First? Moreover, having them served on a palte at seat instead of in packaging would reduce the number that must get taken off the train!

All Line Rover

Established Member
Moreover, having them served on a palte at seat instead of in packaging would reduce the number that must get taken off the train!

Now don't go giving them ideas. ;) Just think of the amount of washing up that would cause. ;)

(On certain journeys, such as Wolverhampton to Crewe or Milton Keynes to Coventry, it can be a bit of a rush to eat an entire sandwich whilst on the train!)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Now don't go giving them ideas. ;) Just think of the amount of washing up that would cause. ;)

(On certain journeys, such as Wolverhampton to Crewe or Milton Keynes to Coventry, it can be a bit of a rush to eat an entire sandwich whilst on the train!)

It takes you 20-25 minutes to eat a sandwich?

Butts

Veteran Member
From my experience with Virgin sometimes you are better off in the "sole" 1st Class Carriage- especially it it is quiet.

OK the grub is not so extensive but with only one carriage to serve and the steward in "sight" it tends to be almost "on demand" for booze:p

Voyagers can have their advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.