• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin delay repay with rover and connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

I travelled on a virgin service that was slightly delayed, but this caused me to miss a connection to another operator (both the missed train and the next one ran on time) resulting in a long overall delay.

The issues with Virgin's online delay claim form have been well documented on this forum so I am wondering what the best way to claim is. The problem is that I used a rover ticket, which was not checked during this journey, so they would need to take my word for it that I actually experienced this delay - which wouldn't qualify for compensation on its own.

I would like to know how they should calculate the amount to be paid too.

Honestly, I am not deliberately choosing to be delayed (although my planned itineraries are ambitious, so even though each individual train is unlikely to be delayed, when you are taking 10+ different trains the likelihood that any one of them will be delayed is quite high). This rover should already be getting me another set of free tickets from Northern and it's only day 2 of 7.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is difficult to know how they should calculate it, but it may be best to email them with the full details.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
If you fill in the journey details for the virgin Trains journey, you simply click the "This delay caused me to miss a connection" box and they sort the rest out

paddington

I submitted the online form a short while after posting this thread and received this email afterwards:

Thanks for getting in touch.

This is just an automated acknowledgement of the form you’ve filled in online. We’ve got it!

We’ll get back to you soon with a case reference number and an email address you can reply back to. Please don’t reply to this one, as replies aren’t monitored at this email address.

Thanks, and we’ll be back in touch soon.

Virgin Trains Customer Resolutions Centre

but over 2 weeks later there has been no further contact - not even a "case reference number". Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

paddington

7 weeks after the delay I experienced with them, VT sent a message saying that they are forwarding my case to the right team who are expected to start looking into it in 10 working days.

paddington

Virgin says they have sent me a cheque for £2.82. I have no idea how that was worked out. The delay was 30-59 mins.

On the same rover, Northern paid (several lots of) £1.98 for 15-29 minute delays (as well as sent several free tickets), and TPE paid £6.58 for a 30-59 min delay. I managed to use the free tickets to complete all the trips planned on the original rover (but had to shell out for 2 extra hotel nights). On the final free ticket, I was again delayed by 60-119 minutes so another one should be coming....

Status
Not open for further replies.