• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Diverts between Chester & Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higginsafcb

Just wondering why they divert via the Middlewich freight line rather than head upto Warrington or reverse at Greenbank back onto the WCML.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester1

Established Member
Just wondering why they divert via the Middlewich freight line rather than head upto Warrington or reverse at Greenbank back onto the WCML.

There is a shortage of paths between Crewe and Warrington. Chester-Frodsham jumped in May from 1tph to 3tph and that is probably close to the limit of the signalling.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There is a shortage of paths between Crewe and Warrington. Chester-Frodsham jumped in May from 1tph to 3tph and that is probably close to the limit of the signalling.

Reversing at Warrington is also not straightforward.

They dont like main line reversals.
Their pilots get a bit confused because the windows dont slide open any more to look behind them when they back up, the pilots kept banging their heads on the glass when they did it so they decided its best to divert via Middlewich.

But in all seriousness, there are other possible routes youre right but
Crewe - Runcorn - Helsby - Chester is to capacity and requires a mainline reversal fro Platform 2 at Runcorn.
Crewe - Warrington - Acton Grange - Helsby - Chester requires a reversal at Warrington

To arrive at Greenbank from Crewe its technically possible to go via Hartford Jn but you wouldnt when you can use the Middlewich line as it requires a reversal at Runcorn or Warrington... or Arpley of course but those Virgin Trains boys dont seem to like getting their shiny darts dirty in those dirty old sidings ;)

Veteran Member
The double reversal near Greenbank is even more awkward (is it even signalled?).

driver_m

Established Member
In a nutshell it’s because most of us no longer sign via Helsby. Only Preston drivers do. We used to and no longer do anymore. :rolleyes:

6Gman

Established Member
Surely a large part of it is that (apart from Crewe-Sandbach, which has 4 tracks) it keeps them out of the way of most things and avoids reversals.

In a nutshell it’s because most of us no longer sign via Helsby. Only Preston drivers do. We used to and no longer do anymore. :rolleyes:

I think Northern only run a parliamentary over it dont they?
TfW run the hourly Liverpool - Chester which I think is the only service booked

driver_m

Established Member
I think Northern only run a parliamentary over it dont they?
TfW run the hourly Liverpool - Chester which I think is the only service booked

Warrington-Helsby-Chester isn’t a parliamentary service. Every hour now by Northern to Leeds. The ones to Ellesmere Port are though.

Warrington-Helsby-Chester isn’t a parliamentary service. Every hour now by Northern to Leeds. The ones to Ellesmere Port are though.

Yeah its the Ellesmere Port one I was thinking of...
I guess its to keep the line from Ellesmere to Helsby served?

Status
Not open for further replies.