• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin East Coast Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemz91

Sorry, but I disagree. The words are the same regardless of how they're delivered. If someone is being threatening or abusive it doesn't make it any less threatening because it's just "words on a screen". I'm on the end of a phone line, so I'm not actually physically face-to-face with my customers, but it still shakes you up a bit if someone is really nasty. The problem with online media is that it is just words at the end of the day - you don't get to see the person you're dealing with, nor hear their voice, so it's easy to forget that there is still a human being at the other end.

Difference is is when its on a screen, you can stop reading, turn off the monitor or possibly even block the user from contacting you again (not being on Twitter I'm not sure if this is possible or not). When its face to face, its much harder to walk away without the offender following you, and you have the extra threat of physical violence from them as a possibility. A computer screen can't punch you (yet) but a person can.

Of course, if we all acted like grown ups in real life, when drunk or when sober we wouldn't have to worry about any of this.

I don't think we'll ever agree with each other on this though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
If someone is hollering abuse at the twitter operator they get blocked - end of. The abuse is screenshotted and logged on a system detailing why they are blocked.

Works extremely well at my work where we see a lot of abuse. When they complain to customer services that they have been blocked they get sent a copy of the abuse with the written reply.

Also take a look at Lothian Buses twitter where it says “We don’t respond to expletive laden or offensive tweets”. It works. There is a lot less abuse since they put that up and they do just ignore it.

Frontera2

If you are giving information to the public on behalf of the railway then you bloody well do! I don't doubt that they try hard, but this is yet another example of an employer ignoring its responsibilities and blaming "enthusiastic but inexperienced" staff. Please tell us who put them in the seat and authorised them to act on behalf of the company?

I don't give a toss how good they are at twitter, if they are allowed to answer questions about anything contractual then how can the employer pretend it is any kind of an information service if they haven't been trained in the actual conditions of carriage (i.e. rules that can lead to prosecutions if infringed) or timetable and operating realities
We see here examples of completely wrong answers to basic questions on (e.g. ticket validity or routing) which will only lead that customer into conflict with someone "official" a bit further down the line.

The flaw in this being that the range of enquiries received on Twitter is so diverse. To follow your logic, you'd need to be an expert in signalling and railway operations and ticketing and NRCoC and so on and so forth. Generally speaking those people just don't exist or are few and far between ( and would demand very high salaries if they did ) ( or spend their time on Rail Forums given the amount of "experts" on here )

Hence why the key qualities Im looking for are the ability for quick learning, retaining of information but most importantly the ability to learn quickly who to / where to go for questions that can't be easily answered or they don't have the immediate knowledge to answer. The other most important thing is that they have a personality, which is something that simply can't be trained.

People running twitter accounts have a whole range of tools available to them to get the answers to most questions, it's not as if they are operating in the dark. My team, as are several TOC Twitter teams, are based within the Operational Control which certainly helps.

Another difference with my team is that they don't spend all their time on Twitter, the role is multi functional so half the week they are on Twitter, the rest of the week they are delivering information through other means eg CIS.

What this means is that when they are on Twitter they are learning about passenger expectations, knowledge which they can then apply when providing info on other channels. Conversely when they are working CIS etc, they are gaining operational knowledge which they can use to help create responses on Twitter.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If the system works then how come there are these complaints then? (and not just trivial complaints, but about important things.) The twitter people clearly don't

I wasn’t saying the system worked. Clearly it doesn’t on East Coast. @Frontera2 doesn’t work for East Coast.

My point was limited to pointing out that your implication that Twitter employees should know everything is both unreasonable and not necessary - you can look almost anything up or ask a colleague. I’ve done the job and by and large it is not a hard job if you bother to check when you’re not sure about something.

takno

Established Member
The flaw in this being that the range of enquiries received on Twitter is so diverse. To follow your logic, you'd need to be an expert in signalling and railway operations and ticketing and NRCoC and so on and so forth. Generally speaking those people just don't exist or are few and far between ( and would demand very high salaries if they did ) ( or spend their time on Rail Forums given the amount of experts on here )

Hence why the key qualities Im looking for are the ability for quick learning, retaining of information but most importantly who / where to go for questions that can't be easily answered or they don't have the immediate knowledge to answer. The other most important thing is that they have a personality, which is something that simply can't be trained.

Teams running twitter accounts have a whole range of tools available to them to get the answers to most questions, it's not as if they are operating in the dark. My team, as are several TOC Twitter teams, are based within the Operational Control which certainly helps.

Another difference with my team is that they don't spend all their time on Twitter, the role is multi functional so half the week they are on Twitter, the rest of the week they are delivering information through other means eg CIS.

What this means is that when they are on Twitter they are learning about passenger expectations, knowledge which they can then apply when providing info on other channels. Conversely when they are working CIS etc, they are gaining operational knowledge which they can use to help create responses on Twitter.

What you are describing sounds excellent and I think it's exactly what most people want. Personally I don't like using twitter to access customer services, but when I do I expect the same customer service as through other channels; people embedded in the wider customer service group, with training on and access to relevant systems, and with the training to actually find stuff out rather than making up something that sounds credible.

Social media teams in a lot of companies aren't of that quality - they are too often employed by the marketing department to knock out "compelling content", and end up answering queries as a somewhat reluctant and poorly-done sideline. My impression is that the VTEC twitter team is more like that than the team you are describing.

tspaul26

Established Member
A prime example of this is when you have to refuse to give information because of the Data Protection Act. I had one particular nasty individual ask me to quote all the principles of the act verbatim.

In my experience, it is far more common to encounter a refusal to provide information on the grounds of 'data protection' that is complete bunkum. Sometimes I have to take the other person through the Act step by step in order to demonstrate that there is no impediment to disclosure. Unfortunately, people often do not tend to take kindly to this.

sheff1

Established Member
A prime example of this is when you have to refuse to give information because of the Data Protection Act. I had one particular nasty individual ask me to quote all the principles of the act verbatim.

If you are citing an Act (of any sort) as the reason for refusing something then, quite clearly, you should be able to state which section of the Act you are basing your decision on.

Unfortunately far too many people (I am not saying you are one) quote 'Data Protection' or 'Health & Safety' as a reason for refusing or preventing something but, when challenged, are unable to state where in the relevant Act(s) the alleged rules are to be found. In my experience this is usually because the 'rules' being cited are not in the Act(s) at all but are a figment of their imagination.

Exactly the same applies with the NRCoC, where some people cite non-existent 'rules' in an attempt to falsely prevent or justify something.

Darandio

Established Member
They are on fire today. :|

https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/919963650621935616
Just spoke with my favourite @bbcweather -man @OwainWynEvans and this is looking like for the forecast for tomorrow due to #Ophelia.
(image is of a spoof weather forecast showing ten images of woman's head)

https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/919980944634851328
#VTECUpdate Due to high winds, there is a speed restriction btwn #Northallerton & #Darlington. Trains will run at reduced speed on all lines
(image is of a woman struggling to keep her eyes open in windy conditions)

Is there a way to embed those so the Twitter message actually appears in the post?

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are on fire today. :|

https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/919963650621935616

https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/919980944634851328

Is there a way to embed those so the Twitter message actually appears in the post?
Highlight the text on Twitter and copy it, then paste it into your post.

Then highlight the text within your post and use the + button (Insert menu) followed by the " Quote button, this will add quote tags.
quote-button-png.35803

Attachments

• quote button.png
    quote button.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 492

Darandio

Established Member
Ahh, I had been hoping there was some special technique on the new forum software that when the Twitter link was posted, it just appears as it would on Twitter, some other forums work like that.

Just copy/pasting the text into quotes kind of nullifies the two particular tweets linked above given they have images/gifs and the relation to the text.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Problem is, if you embed the tweet, it won't be visible to people accessing the forum from most workplaces (where social media sites are usually blocked). Also images won't be visible to blind people, so a text quote and/or description (as appropriate) is required.

Edit: I have amended your post accordingly.

AlexNL

Established Member
Looking through VTEC's timeline I feel that while they might be cheeky at times (as I've come to expect from a Virgin business), I think they're still keeping it professional and are trying to help everyone as much as they can.

BVG (Berlin's public transport operator) sometimes goes much further than what I've seen from VTEC so far...

whhistle

On Moderation
Absolute nonsense and frankly offensive to the many decent people that perform this important role day in and day out.
Define "important". In the grand scheme of railways, a Social Media team is very low down.

Frontera2

After a safe and punctual railway, one of the biggest requirements passengers have is for information. With more and more people using social media as their go to place for info these days, I'd argue that yes it's pretty important.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
After a safe and punctual railway, one of the biggest requirements passengers have is for information. With more and more people using social media as their go to place for info these days, I'd argue that yes it's pretty important.

Though it's worth noting that far from everyone does, and the provision of other 'broadcast' realtime information shouldn't be shunted lower down the list of priorities. (Yes, Twitter is a broadcast medium as well as a two-way medium I grant you.)

I find the often inane outpouring of public fury on Twitter against say a train company's account a rather dispiriting experience, so most of the time I just 'don't go there'. (That's not to excuse poor performance or poor communications on the railway's behalf, but in general I choose not to expose myself to all the cyber rage out there!)

jon0844

Veteran Member

I'd say GTR has got a pretty good balance now and seem to know when to be humorous and when not to (that is when there's major disruption). There's more banter at quiet times and often quite detailed explanations of incidents.

Sadly when I've read very honest explanations that tally with reality, the person who is informed responds by saying it's an excuse, lie etc. It makes you wonder why they bother, but I'm glad they do.

alxndr

Established Member
Sadly when I've read very honest explanations that tally with reality, the person who is informed responds by saying it's an excuse, lie etc. It makes you wonder why they bother, but I'm glad they do.

I typically see accusations of lying when more detailed information is given, for example, when an issue is intially described as a "signalling failure" and they then go on to specify that it's a "track circuit failure". A layman won't necessarily realise that track circuits are part of the signalling infrastructure, and sees that as just pulling excuses out of a hat. It must be a hard balance to juggle.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I typically see accusations of lying when more detailed information is given, for example, when an issue is intially described as a "signalling failure" and they then go on to specify that it's a "track circuit failure". A layman won't necessarily realise that track circuits are part of the signalling infrastructure, and sees that as just pulling excuses out of a hat. It must be a hard balance to juggle.

Agreed. An occasion that really sticks in my mind several years ago was a couple of older ladies being completely bamboozled by the guard's announcement (repeated a few times during the journey) that the train was running late because of the need for checks after a "bridge bash" along the route. I eventually approached them on arrival in King's Cross and explained the meaning of the phrase.

(For what it's worth, given the topic of this thread, they weren't angry or annoyed, just perplexed by the terminology.)

SaveECRewards

Today has been full of incorrect information, some that I noticed:
- You can't reserve seats after 1800 the night before (how can they do on the day advances then)
- A super off-peak is not valid on the 1830 (it is on Fridays)
- Someone who complained about the behaviour of the 'security ambassadors' on a dry train were told VTEC doesn't employ such people
- Saying the 20th December will have the Christmas menu (reduced catering) when it's only the days between Christmas and New Year that have that

Also the 18:19 was cancelled, they sent a message out about that, but not that its been reinstated.

Bwlch y Groes

Hooo boy, this makes for interesting reading

I am currently a temp Social Media Advisor for Northern. I've been doing it on and off for the last year or so to help out, and full time since the start of October. Some of you may have interacted with me already. Apologies if I've ever let you down :p

I feel like I should give an insight into what the job is like. At Northern we have a team of four (currently five as one person is training) - this compared to nine for CrossCountry/GCR (who also do control roles as part of their position), but only two for ATW. I think VTEC have about four of five as well. We work in York ROC, as do VTEC's team. We have two standard shifts in the day - 06:00-14:45 and 13:15-22:00. It's seven days on, two off, seven on, two off, seven on, five off, so we work every day of the week

The desk was set up about five years ago when Twitter was in its infancy. We currently use a website called Conversocial which allows us to see, categorise and respond to messages incoming from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google+ (although we rarely get any messages from the latter two). With Twitter, this includes active searches set up for stuff like "#NorthernRail" where they haven't directly @'d us in. The number of messages we get in varies a lot but at this time of year, with leaf-fall, short-forms, storms etc, we generally get 800-1200 messages a weekday. We hit 1400 on Monday, including 300 in one hour in the morning while the Doncaster-Sheffield line was down and Leeds was chaos because of a broken down VTEC train. Nearly all of them were complaints

As a few people here have alluded to, the complaints we get in can be incredibly vitriolic and arrogant. You have people who we can see portray themselves on Twitter as very sweet, nice people who are sending us full-blown tirades saying we're the worst train operator in the world, we run a third world service, we should all be fired and that we don't care. It actually makes me worry about what sort of society we have become that people who project themselves in that way could actually be suppressing that sort of anger and then unleashing it on social media. And I don't buy that they don't know there's someone on the other end reading it - I don't think it's malicious but it's not out of ignorance either. Maybe there's just a certain type of person who does that - it's hard to know how representative it is. It's definitely made me change the way I post on social media

As much as anything, a lot of the complaints do show up how little people understand how the railway works. But the frustrating aspect of that is even if you try and explain to them that, to give a topical example, there are no more carriages we can send out because we have a few in the depot for maintenance, they absolutely refuse to accept that as a valid reason and think we're fobbing them off, even though it's entirely true. They can't understand that it's going to take another year for us to develop our new trains, because as far as they're concerned it's been 18 months since the start of the franchise so why aren't they ready to go? We must be making it all up. Our customers don't trust us at all, and that seems to be entirely indicative of the industry as a whole and how people interact with nearly all TOC social media accounts

But there are other aspects to our job. We have to do a lot of fault-reporting, be it trains or stations. We have to chase up Delay Repay claims and complaints that the Customer Experience Centre haven't dealt with. We submit complaints that customers send us. We pass on positive feedback to colleagues (mostly conductors). We deal with unit number requests and our "regular tweeters", ranging from a few people who like a natter with us to autistic people who really like trains and think of us as friends - this has been one of the most surprising aspects to the job for me as I'd have had no idea this was such a big thing, but it's a nice distraction most of the time. And these days we have a brief to produce "creative content" every week - those of you who follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook will know we've been putting out a lot more casual posts around things like #GuessTheStation or station tours, which is there to encourage positive engagement, something the company is quite keen on (as all comms output has metrics attached to rate it)

This is of course on top of the main role we have, which is to respond to virtually every message we get in - it's not always possible, and we've had to ignore a lot more messages of late because the sheer number coming in is not something we can physically deal with. The first week I was in on full shift was the week where we were short-forming everything on the MCO-Hunts Cross line and it was an absolute nightmare - we were routinely getting 100-200 messages of abuse from the residents of Urmston and Irlam every peak, the same people every time. The two storms were pretty bad as well - train companies are now apparently supposed to prevent hurricanes, according to our customers, so it was all our fault that the Calder Valley got flooded. But I feel a lot more settled in the role now and this week has been a lot quieter

What I would say is that I'm quite rare in that I'm a rail enthusiast who wanted to get into the industry specifically. My colleagues on the team aren't rail specialists, although two have family members who are in the industry. The team members are there on social media expertise. It has its pros and cons. Perhaps someone with less enthusiasm for the industry and the company wouldn't take some of the criticism to heart as much as I do!

As much as anything, you don't need to be an expert in railways to do a TOC social media job - you just need to be given the right information, and intelligent people can work with that, regardless of whether or not they know the difference between a 150 and 156. The problem comes when the right people don't pass that information on, and we end up looking less informed than the customers who are messaging us. Often if a tricky question comes in that I don't have the information for, I'll just Google the answer myself. 9 times out of 10, that's enough to give the right answer

But there are exceptions. I was asked about opening hours at Buckshaw Parkway today - the closing time is down on the NRE website as 17:45, but it's actually 00:10 (I have that information because I put it together and sent it to NRE in September, and they still haven't updated it!). But I wouldn't have known that if I didn't have the spreadsheet I put together with that on - that information is not available internally or externally. You'll be surprised at how little information we are actually given to work with - a lot of the stuff we need to do our jobs just isn't available to us on demand, and we don't have the time to chase it up with colleagues, because we're expected to respond very quickly - people have been complaining a lot lately that we haven't been responding within about 10 minutes, because we're dealing with backlogs of 300-400 messages going back several hours

It's been a learning experience - I'll say that much. The industry doesn't communicate well internally, and it's us on the front line who have to face the abuse of customers when things go wrong and we don't have the answers to give to them. It's very hard not to care, because you have a lot of different stories coming in every day, some of them very emotionally charged, and it's hard not to sympathise - at the same time, it's very hard not to care for the company when customers are making totally ill-founded criticisms of us and then using that to go to the press or politicians, which they then use to justify their own positions. That's why I don't agree that those of us just sit there and don't give a toss or have to give a toss - it's impossible not to

And for all the fact that it's "only" communicating from behind a computer screen, people's behaviour is a lot more extreme when they don't have to face an individual. Since I started on this job, I go to sleep and dream of responding to angry customers. I appreciate I'm not a nurse, or a fireman, or a policeman, or even doing some of the less pleasant work on the railways - it's not traumatising. But it's not like we're sat there chatting with mates either - it's very serious, professional customer service work, for 9 hours a day, 7 days in a row

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
I personally struggle to understand how grown adults can get upset by other strangers swearing on a Twitter feed they are responsible for updating.
you only need to look at how many people get upset at comments taken to be personal, sometimes wrongly to know that people get upset at written words. Nobody goes to work to be abused and it shouldn't happen

AlexNL

Established Member
A layman won't necessarily realise that track circuits are part of the signalling infrastructure, and sees that as just pulling excuses out of a hat. It must be a hard balance to juggle.

I've seen some TOC/IM* Tweeters try to explain things in layman's terms, which seems to resonate pretty well with people who aren't aware of how the railway infrastructure works. A track circuit failure becomes "a fault with the system that monitors which tracks are occupied" ("spoorbezettingsregistratiesysteem" in Dutch).

* The Traffic Control department of ProRail, the Dutch infrastructure manager, have their own Twitter account. They mostly post stuff about disruptions, sometimes in more detail than what a TOC reports.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Hooo boy, this makes for interesting reading

I am currently a temp Social Media Advisor for Northern. ...

Thanks Bwlch y Groes for an interesting post.

All I would say, apart from wondering whether all the rage and fury on social media is doing the raging person any good let along society at large, is that an awful lot of businesses are pretty bad at communicating things internally and I think there are an awful lot of customer facing staff out there who simply aren't given or don't have access to the information they really should have.

jon0844

Veteran Member
While I already knew most of what had been said about how social media is managed for TOCs (and businesses in general) the post above was still a fascinating insight, and so well written as to make me 100% sure the poster will soon be mentoring and managing teams in future years.

It is definitely sad how nasty people can be from behind their keyboard (or on their mobile, sometimes when under the influence) and if they're called on it, often get over defensive and claim to be the victim.

I guess these people always existed but usually the only people that had to listen were those standing nearby in a pub, bus stop or outside a shop...

Bwlch y Groes

Thanks Bwlch y Groes for an interesting post.

All I would say, apart from wondering whether all the rage and fury on social media is doing the raging person any good let along society at large, is that an awful lot of businesses are pretty bad at communicating things internally and I think there are an awful lot of customer facing staff out there who simply aren't given or don't have access to the information they really should have.

Definitely, but I feel with Northern in particular at the moment, it's a big problem. Each department lives in a bubble and doesn't communicate very effectively with each other - a lot of the withholding of information isn't deliberate secrecy, but it can end up looking like it. We're trying to communicate our modernisation programme and how far we've got with it, but it can be difficult getting the information to publicise it - and in that vacuum, rumours and theories spread. Once suspicion and distrust sets in, it's then very hard to win trust back

The classic example is our new trains - part of this has come from false promises in the past, but some of it also comes from the fact that information about the 195s and 331s has been relatively scarce and we've only done a couple of updates on them. In that vacuum, I've seen all kinds of theories about how they don't exist or that we're actually talking about a refurbishment programme rather than new trains. We also haven't been massively upfront about which routes they are going to be running on, which has led to all kinds of incorrect assumptions about where they are going. I get why we've been extremely cautious about giving details in case they change later on, because we don't want people to feel they have been misled, but by the same extension, not giving out any information at all has led to a lot of incorrect assumptions, and I'm sure some people will end up disappointed. But it's a very tough decision, because some people will be disappointed either way

alxndr

Established Member
I've seen some TOC/IM* Tweeters try to explain things in layman's terms, which seems to resonate pretty well with people who aren't aware of how the railway infrastructure works. A track circuit failure becomes "a fault with the system that monitors which tracks are occupied" ("spoorbezettingsregistratiesysteem" in Dutch).

I actually mentioned this because I've explained track circuits to a couple of people on twitter in the past after stumbling across their tweets to TOCs and they seemed quite appreciative of it.

Seeing bwlch y groes's (excellent) post makes it clear that it's probably unreasonable to expect TOCs to explain this to every passenger who might be confused though, but it's a shame that there's not an easy way to get this information out to customers. You could probably fill a nearly full-time post just explaining these things. And, unfortunately, not everyone wants to learn; I see family member's eyes glaze over often enough when they ask what I do and I try to explain anything less obvious than a signal!

An improved selection of Network Rail pages like their signal and points failure one could possibly be handy, but requires people to actually bother read something more than a 240 character tweet and collaboration between the myriad of companies and departments.

SaveECRewards

@SaveECRewards But was their meme game on point? Did they get in any killer gifs? Accurate information isn't what passengers want!
I quite like the poll that they're doing at the moment: https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/926530344526008321

It makes people have a discussion about the on-board catering which makes a change, it's a way of interacting with people outside of relying on the passenger to tweet about something. Better than the usual memes not related to anything significant.

I rarely say it, but well done ^KM

On the topic of polls, look at the one I ran recently: https://twitter.com/SaveECRewards/status/925020757675184128

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I quite like the poll that they're doing at the moment: https://twitter.com/Virgin_TrainsEC/status/926530344526008321

It makes people have a discussion about the on-board catering which makes a change, it's a way of interacting with people outside of relying on the passenger to tweet about something. Better than the usual memes not related to anything significant.

I rarely say it, but well done ^KM
Yes I'll give them that! That's quite a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.