• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin FC Lounge Time Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I know first class lounges are subject to opening times. Just wondering, say my advance ticket says "1048 Liverpool L St >> London Euston", at what time am I allowed into the FC lounge at Liverpool, and what time would I have the leave the one in Euston?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can of worms opened I think! :lol:

I think this is probably down to reasonableness, rather than a specific rule. If so, I'd say an hour perhaps, but it's highly subjective.

Established Member
I dont think it matters if you arrive when they open and leave when you wish, i have been in a FC lounge and spent some time in there so i dont think it matters

Mystic Force

If you turn up in a business suit and work on a laptop they would probably leave you alone...

attics26

dont know about other tocs lounges but NXEC only limited by opening and closing times (which vary) and by the type of ticket held irrespective of appearance or clothing.

Geezertronic

Established Member

MKB

snuk

Can you use them at your destination?

As far as I know you can use the Virgin First Class lounge at the end of your journey if all or part of your journey was on a Virgin service and you hold a first class ticket.

I travelled locally from Coventry to Wolverhampton on a First Class Anytime Day Single - I needed to change trains at Birmingham New Street. I was able to use the lounge at Birmingham New Street.

I then bought another ticket at Wolverhampton - the same but to Birmingham New Street - and was able to enjoy the Wolverhampton lounge for about an hour before a Virgin train to Birmingham New Street. I think there were a couple of other trains but I missed them on the monitors.

The BHM lounge had a concierge who I showed my ticket to on entry - even though I didn't think he needed to - and the WVH one has an intercom with camera. Both lounges are very pleasant. I've haven't tried the WiFi yet though - didn't realise they had it until later.

I think I could have travelled back with another operator but thought it was only right to travel back on Virgin having used the lounge and time wasn't an issue.

My personal opinion about the lounges is that I treat them like I would expect someone to treat my own living room (sort of) - with respect and without abusing the privilege if you understand what I mean - not that I am suggesting for a moment anyone on here will do otherwise. I didn't expect to be able to use them on a local journey on a ticket which cost me less than £5 but I was made to feel as welcome as someone on an £100+ ticket which I didn't expect to be honest and was very impressed. I had the whole of the Wolverhampton lounge to myself for about an hour. The most enjoyable day out I've had some while.

As for how long you can stay in the lounge before or after travelling on a Virgin service - I think an hour is acceptable, more within specific reason.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Steve.

bengolding

The revamped Euston VT lounge is a huge improvement, which now incorporates the old Medical facility next to the pub. Better lighting, plenty of seats, a Quiet room and the washrooms are a huge improvement too. Plus, it is now open for longer periods on Saturdays. During weekdays, there is also the coffee lounge next to the main ticket office (currently still work in progress, it seems).

I used the Wolves lounge twice. It really is in an awkward location. The stairs at the top of the station make it a very very very long journey from ticket office to plat 4 where the Lounge is. Seeing as the London-bound service always departs from plat 2, it's not very convenient. Also there are only 2 VTs per hour in either direction, so as you found the Lounge is virtually deserted at off peak times except when the staff decide to break with the rules and put South Coast-bound OAPs in there (as happened on both my visits!).

snuk

I didn't really think about the location of the Wolves lounge. It did take me a while to find it, though - not where I expected it to be - I wrongly assumed it would be on Platform 1.

You might be interested to know that Wolverhampton City Council are planning to redevelop the bus and train station soon. I think it is called the Wolverhampton Interchange project - there is a dedicated website if anyone is interested.

I think they are planning to build a completely new station in phases. I think the plan is to demolish the multi-story car park and build a new foyer first.

I bet Virgin will be pleased if the new lounge is demolished - lol - but you know how this things work - could be a few years before we see anything happen.

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.