• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin First Class meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

extendedpaul

Could someone answer this query about weekday hot meals on Virgin Trains please.

I know they are generally served to passengers travelling first class between 17.00 and 18.59 but I am unsure what happens on long distance journeys that start earlier. For example if I book a first advance on the 15.30 from Euston to Glasgow Central - will I be offered a hot meal after the 17.14 stop at Warrington Bank Quay, will only passengers boarding at or after Warrington get one, or is it not an evening meal service at all ?

Also do they still not publish a meal rotation menu like East Coast ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dreadnought

Hidden with the timetables:

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pdf/global/first-class-food-service-2013.pdf

You would be served cold Light Bites to Preston, then (I think) an Evening Meal after Preston. To not offer it to passengers already on board would be ridiculous.

The way I read it was that it is cold light bites before Preston and warm light bites (hot) after.

The 16:30 to 18:30 departures from Euston all specifically state Evening Meal (hot) before Preston.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
It says on the virgin first class page that timings for meal service are based on the origin times of the train.

adtrainz

The way I read it was that it is cold light bites before Preston and warm light bites (hot) after.

The 16:30 to 18:30 departures from Euston all specifically state Evening Meal (hot) before Preston.

My fault- I read it as from Glasgow, and that the 15:40 was implied.

extendedpaul

Thanks for replies and information.

From the food chart it seems that you cannot get a hot evening meal joining at Preston or beyond on ANY northbound service to Glasgow, while southbound passengers on the 14 or 15.40 from Glasgow will only get cold light bites whereas those who join at Preston and further south get a hot meal.

Even if that is not what happens in reality that's what they say and it does seem illogical to me.

The best first class deal on Virgin may well be on the 16.40/17.30/18.40 from Glasgow to Euston. which offer £51 first advances on evening meal services. There's still availability on Monday's 18.40 !

Status
Not open for further replies.