• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin fixed-term contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert

I have just applied for a CSA on-board with Virgin based in Carlisle, but does anyone have any experience with these Fixed-term contracts, as it seems to be only Virgin who have them?

Why do they not just employ staff permanently, or do these contracts often lead to permanent? Do you go from contract to contract?

Does anyone work for virgin who could give me some feedback on what they are like as employers?

What are the promotion prospects like with them, as ultimately like many users of this forum I would like to be a train driver some day.

Do they not recruit trainee drivers internally?

So many questions, so little time.:roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ticket Man

I've just managed to secure a permanent position with virgin after 2 years of fixed term contracts, it wasn't easy though. With the franchise coming up soon, recruitment are very weary of taking on full time staff.
There are so many CSA's that they regularly have to cover positions due to maternity/paternity, long term sickness, internal transfers etc which is why usually most CSA's are started on temp contracts.
Once your in though it does get you favour in applying for other positions with in the company so defiantly go for it to get your foot in the door.
As far as driving, I know years back they recruited a load of drivers internally from all walks but now they only recruit qualified drivers from other companies, and even then its not very often as people only leave when they retire.
hope this helps

Albert

Thank you Ticketman. What are Virgin like to work for? and is there any scope for overtime?

Ticket Man

I've always found them quite good actually, they pay quite good and as long as your willing to be flexible they will generally help you out if you need it.
From speaking to CSA's, I've been told there only schedule'd to work Monday to Friday (full service days) and that weekends are given out as overtime (half service days).

Status
Not open for further replies.