• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin - Frequency of internal trainee position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbescot

As per title, seems that virgin dont advertise for trainee drivers and get them from internal staff.

So, how often do they advertise internally for trainee drivers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
Its more like virgin nicking already trained staff from other toc's. They therefore save a lot of money not having to train new drivers.

Which drivers would turn down the chance to double their salary, drive a faster trains...

Minilad

Established Member
Its more like virgin nicking already trained staff from other toc's. They therefore save a lot of money not having to train new drivers.

Which drivers would turn down the chance to double their salary, drive a faster trains...

Me for one as I would have to take a pay cut and already drive fast trains.
Its not all about the glory :roll:

Me for one as I would have to take a pay cut and already drive fast trains.
Its not all about the glory :roll:

You forgot to mention the difference is only about a grand and you sold your lives away to get it. No preps, PNBs on trains, check your trains for punters before going to CZ etc etc etc.

You also forget that if it was still BR and with your time on the job you would still be plodding round the cross city.

To get to the original point of this topic, VT have since the days of millenium drivers finishing, XC driver probably, poached from other TOCs. We have quite a few vacancies at Wolves but they've made no attempt to fill them because the franchise is due to end.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Id like to apply for Polmadie but have been told to wait til Franchise is renewed as few will be looking to retire etc.
Driver also said it depends on possible new routes as well which was interesting.

Minilad

Established Member
You forgot to mention the difference is only about a grand and you sold your lives away to get it. No preps, PNBs on trains, check your trains for punters before going to CZ etc etc etc.

You also forget that if it was still BR and with your time on the job you would still be plodding round the cross city.

To get to the original point of this topic, VT have since the days of millenium drivers finishing, XC driver probably, poached from other TOCs. We have quite a few vacancies at Wolves but they've made no attempt to fill them because the franchise is due to end.

I prep. Have never had a PNB on train. Walk through a train, so what, find lots of magazines.
Its not BR though is it. And you come across as a very very sour old driver.
"Bloody kids these days. I've been standing at red signals longer than you've been on the job". I can just hear you saying it :roll:

Bellwater

Not Ex-Saltley are you?

paulbescot

As per the original question... How frequently do virgin advertise for trainee drivers (Internally or externally)

Nym

Established Member
Untitled.png

Yes... it was worth it...

But speaking seriously, it will be whenever they need them, and that is a massive function that no-one can ever pin down, it's not like it's a seasonal demand for the job or anything...

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As per title, seems that virgin dont advertise for trainee drivers and get them from internal staff.

So, how often do they advertise internally for trainee drivers?

Infrequently, as with all the Inter City outfits.

Firstly, they are innundated with CV's from already qualified applicants.

They also have a comparatively "young" driving workforce. At privatisation, the more senior hands ay depots like Euston, KX, etc. went to the inter city operators. Most of these retired within a few years, so there was a wave of mass recruitment by them a few years back, and yes they trained plenty from both internal and "off the street". That process is pretty much complete, so openings are few and far between, as there aren't going to be many retirements.

The way into these companies is as a qualified driver from elsewhere. As for trainees, think single figures per year across the route, if any at all.

Infrequently, as with all the Inter City outfits.

Firstly, they are innundated with CV's from already qualified applicants.

They also have a comparatively "young" driving workforce. At privatisation, the more senior hands ay depots like Euston, KX, etc. went to the inter city operators. Most of these retired within a few years, so there was a wave of mass recruitment by them a few years back, and yes they trained plenty from both internal and "off the street". That process is pretty much complete, so openings are few and far between, as there aren't going to be many retirements.

The way into these companies is as a qualified driver from elsewhere. As for trainees, think single figures per year across the route, if any at all.

There was a massive influx to the footplate grade in the mid 1970's, these guys are in their mid fifties now with most hoping to finish around age sixty.

It was repeated again in the mid 1980's, i started in 1985, again with most of us hoping to finish around age sixty.

At Wolves on VT that means around two thirds of the depot (80 drivers plus vacancies) will be gone in around fifteen years.

Sammy h

I currently work for Virgin and am hoping to move up the ranks in time and eventually become a driver. Judging by the above if I want to become a driver I am best off going elsewhere?

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I currently work for Virgin and am hoping to move up the ranks in time and eventually become a driver. Judging by the above if I want to become a driver I am best off going elsewhere?

I'd go and have a chat with the driver management, and find out what their likely recruitment will be.

I can pretty much guarantee that there are an awful lot of other people with the same intention, and that this number will be far greater than the likely number of vacs!

I would suggest that you may need to be flexible, don't just wait on Virgin, and in the meantime get some responsibility on your CV. Railway skill isn't important, as all trainee drivers go through the same process, regardless of background. If you're an internal applicant, make sure that you have a top notch sickness/ punctuality/ discipline record

Sammy h

I'd go and have a chat with the driver management, and find out what their likely recruitment will be.

I can pretty much guarantee that there are an awful lot of other people with the same intention, and that this number will be far greater than the likely number of vacs!

I would suggest that you may need to be flexible, don't just wait on Virgin, and in the meantime get some responsibility on your CV. Railway skill isn't important, as all trainee drivers go through the same process, regardless of background. If you're an internal applicant, make sure that you have a top notch sickness/ punctuality/ discipline record

Brilliant, thanks for your advice.

My sickness record etc is pretty good, no days off since I started full time work when I left school over four years ago. I am keeping my eyes peeled, but don't want to be getting ahead of myself. One step at a time.

**EDIT**

Thanks for your advice Lucas! :D

Last edited:

AndyBoo

definitely go elsewhere. im ex virgin staff and there is no way there will be any internal driver recruitment. they have loads of external qualified driver that will move to west coast.

my advice is to start off with a toc that takes on trainee drivers. northern are a good one,

wish you best of luck though. and that tm position at preston, definitely go for it. that will pay better than many drivers. x

whhistle

On Moderation
Although really internal things should be kept internal.

Not suggesting Virgin want to keep it a huge secret but there's a reason it's not on the external website and discussing things like what vacancies are currently being offered to employees may lead to hot water for Virgin, especially with the bid (although I realise this has now been submitted) and your contractual agreement (with regard to "sensitive business information") with Virgin.

Sammy h

Edited. Although I have seen it mentioned in another thread by another poster.

Bellwater

S--t Stirring, note the poster above said 'maybe' as in they don't know anything about Virgin Procedures.

I posted an internal vacancy elsewhere, someone asked me and got an interview..

Status
Not open for further replies.