• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Join Delay Repay Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
Virgin have introduced a new Passenger Charter from 1st April. They now offer delay repay (below) and vouchers for free non-alcoholic drinks if delayed for more than an hour at a station or 30 minutes on-train.

Virgin Trains said:
Our Delay Repay scheme comes into effect on 1 April 2013. Under this scheme, if you hold a ticket for a single or return journey you can claim compensation for a delay of over 30 minutes, irrespective of what caused the delay. If you are delayed by

• 30 – 59 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 50% of the cost of your single ticket or 50% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.

• 60 – 119 minutes : We will pay you compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of your single ticket or 100% of the cost of the relevant portion* of your return ticket.

• 120 minutes or longer : We will pay you compensation to the value of 100% of the cost of your single ticket or 100% of the cost of your return ticket (i.e. both portions not just one way).

*by ‘relevant portion’ we mean either the outward or return portion of a return ticket, depending upon whether you were delayed on your outward or return journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
My 06:35 Manchester service on the morning of Saturday 6th arrived at Euston roughly 30 minutes late, but in my haste to reach Waterloo for the start of my event, I didn't check the precise time.

Hopefully the new policy was implemented just in time for my delay, but how would I now find out its official arrival time?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well they kept this quiet, didn't they! No notice on their website, at stations, on Twitter or on Facebook. No surprises there.

Hopefully the new policy was implemented just in time for my delay, but how would I now find out its official arrival time?

No need, as the Train Operating Companies hold this information. Make a claim, say you were delayed by approximately 30 minutes, and see if they pay out.

fireftrm

About time (no pun intended). East Coast have operated this rule for many years, Virgin's was more than a little churlish before.

Established Member
This will have been imposeded by the DfT into the new 'short term' franchise agreement as it will be in others as they come up where it is not in place - c2c next. Interesting they seem to have had a five month grace period before actually introducing it though.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
About time (no pun intended). East Coast have operated this rule for many years, Virgin's was more than a little churlish before.

It's all down to when the franchises were originally awarded - any after a certain date are Delay Repay. I think that meant it came in with NXEC - though I seem to recall GNER being more generous than the minimum standards at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.