• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin locos

Best Virgin Traction from Below

• HST's

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • 86's

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 87's

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Seth said:
I think the following extract from Alan A. Jackson's The Railway Dictionary may be of interest here:

Multiple Unit/MU
An electric (EMU) or diesel-electric powered (DMU or DEMU) train in which the motive power is distributed over a number of car axles instead of being concentrated in a loco or driving car.

Does that sound like the sort of definition which can be applied to an IC125?
Back in BR days there was a Prototype of a Suburban 'DMU' that had no underfloor engines just one large engine by one of the driving cabs so subsequently didn't power the other axles. The unit did testing around Reading for half a year until it disappeared and most likely was scrapped.

Did a Thumper DEMU have individual powered axles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

I remember seeing a HST Power car carrying passengers on the Newquay branch once,proof it's a unit.:rolleyes: :dontknow: :D

Met Driver

Established Member
Chaz said:
Back in BR days there was a Prototype of a Suburban 'DMU' that had no underfloor engines just one large engine by one of the driving cabs so subsequently didn't power the other axles. The unit did testing around Reading for half a year until it disappeared and most likely was scrapped.

Did a Thumper DEMU have individual powered axles?
If you're referring to the Class 210 DEMU, you'll find that it had axle mounted electric motors which were driven by an MTU power unit which was situated, as you say, behind one of the cabs.

As for thumpers, they too had a similar arrangement. They had axle mounted electric motors driven by a power unit mounted behind the cab.

Guinness

Established Member
Seth said:
If you're referring to the Class 210 DEMU, you'll find that it had axle mounted electric motors which were driven by an MTU power unit which was situated, as you say, behind one of the cabs.

As for thumpers, they too had a similar arrangement. They had axle mounted electric motors driven by a power unit mounted behind the cab.

Interesting....:toothy7:

AlexS

Established Member
Yeah, Thumpers really were EPB type things, with the same traction motors, but driven from the diesel electric engine. As for a HST carrying passengers in the van, you'll find any diesel locomotive will carry passengers if you shut them in the back cab, or the engine room.

andel

AlexS said:
Yeah, Thumpers really were EPB type things, with the same traction motors, but driven from the diesel electric engine. As for a HST carrying passengers in the van, you'll find any diesel locomotive will carry passengers if you shut them in the back cab, or the engine room.

I'm glad you recognise this... I still remember in the winter of 2003 I had to go from Hastings to Ashford International in a thumper travelling in my wheelchair. It was bitterly cold, I was cold, the guard's language was less than pleasant (and did expand my vocab just a little)... and I've been in the luggage van many more times since.

Slammers, as much as many of you love them, could not have gone quicker. I feel like I'm actually a human being.

(Disabled Rights rant over)

Status
Not open for further replies.