• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin London Euston - Blackpool North: why no return working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

When the blockade between Preston and Blackpool North has finished, I expect Virgin to be running their Euston-Blackpool North service again.

It usually gets into Blackpool about seven thirty.

What I want to know though, is why is there no return working? The set goes back ECS to Burton. Can’t they run a service from Blackpool North to Birmingham New Street then ECS to Burton?

It would make some revenue between Preston and Birmingham surely? They could even attach at Preston to a GLC or EDB to BHM/EUS service and detach again at New St.

Seems like a really odd diagram.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
When the blockade between Preston and Blackpool North has finished, I expect Virgin to be running their Euston-Blackpool North service again.

It usually gets into Blackpool about seven thirty.

What I want to know though, is why is there no return working? The set goes back ECS to Burton. Can’t they run a service from Blackpool North to Birmingham New Street then ECS to Burton?

It would make some revenue between Preston and Birmingham surely? They could even attach at Preston to a GLC or EDB to BHM/EUS service and detach again at New St.

Seems like a really odd diagram.

I would imagine the train manager is Preston based. Pendolinos can also turn up on any Scotland-Brum service making this also a diagramming headache. Best to just run it ECS.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Since the southbound New St service at Preston in that hour is at 2008 vice 2017 (the usual path) you would end up holding it for about 20 mins at Preston whilst the Blackpool portion arrives and attaches. You would then be massively out of path all the way to New St and have horrendous journey times across Preston for punters doing that stretch. Of course you could always run another service 10 mins afrer the 2008 using the Blackpool set, but you would have single figure passengers all the way, and have to magic up a guard from nowhere, and hope that it would fit in with driver turns too...

Status
Not open for further replies.