• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Plans Extra Liverpool Lime Street Services from 10 June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Are those not the remaining "spare" paths in/out of Euston? Look like OAO blockers to me. If the application is successful it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on Advance fares.

sufian123

dk1

Veteran Member
I thought the Pendolino fleet was diagrammed very tightly. I was surprised to see the three additional Blackpool services introduced last year let alone this very welcome news. Cannot be much slack left.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Do they have enough slack with the 390s to run these additional services?

From the application:

Revisions to Class 390 scheduled maintenance processes now underway will deliver improved daily availability of sets, enabling these services to be resourced from within the existing fleet.

i.e. running with at least one less maintenance spare, it sounds like...

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
How many more paths are left on the WCML, particularly south of Rugby? I cannot picture many (if any) additional services in the next Franchise betweeen 2020 and 2026. If I am honest, i did not think there were any more paths for an additional 5tpd particularly with Platform 17 and 18 at Euston closing in May 2019.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not sure of the Liverpool to Euston ones as LNWR xx05 from Liverpool to Euston from May.

However those LNwR services will take a lot longer to reach London and hence will only be used end to end with folk using cheap advances or "West Midlands Railway only" tickets (and even then it will probably be quicker to change at Crewe for the Crewe - Euston via Trent Valley)

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Opposite hours to the Alliance paths I think, just leaves the nominal xx.57 path if they get these.

sonic2009

Established Member
And where do they suppose to fit this service into Crewe Station? Looks like most of the station is full around that time xx50-xx00 hours in the current timetable. And also a LNWR goes out before the 1709 at 1705, and stops at both Hartford & Winsford, so there's going to be some jigging around there by the looks of it.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Whilst I understand the need for extra services to/from Liverpool, I'd have personally thought it would make more sense to add the proposed number of extra services to run say between London Euston and Lancaster, allowing a few already very busy London to Glasgow and v.v. services to run none-stop between London and Preston and v.v. not only speeding up journey times, but also increasing capacity between London and Preston.

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Are those not the remaining "spare" paths in/out of Euston? Look like OAO blockers to me. If the application is successful it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on Advance fares.

Going to be a lot of fresh air carted around on those I fear ...

sufian123

However those LNwR services will take a lot longer to reach London and hence will only be used end to end with folk using cheap advances or "West Midlands Railway only" tickets (and even then it will probably be quicker to change at Crewe for the Crewe - Euston via Trent Valley)

I can understand that. I wonder how they’ll make it work?

Veteran Member
Whilst I understand the need for extra services to/from Liverpool, I'd have personally thought it would make more sense to add the proposed number of extra services to run say between London Euston and Lancaster, allowing a few already very busy London to Glasgow and v.v. services to run none-stop between London and Preston and v.v. not only speeding up journey times, but also increasing capacity between London and Preston.
Ideally, yes, but that would need a major recast of the timetable North of Warrington to take advantage of the omitted stops whereas these are overlaid on the existing one.
Lancaster is 20 minutes further from London, and it isn't a good place to turn round trains with at least 4 through trains each way calling most hours (that has changed even since 2008!)

The Planner

Veteran Member
Certainly will need some juggling. It will land at Crewe around xx.07 with the TfW from Wales and the VT Glasgow and Manchester up its backside on the down.
It would be nice if these services stopped at Milton Keynes

Agreed - or perhaps Nuneaton? They could ditch the Stafford stop.
Can't stop at MK and Stafford or the xx.40 Manchester from Euston runs it down. Nuneaton instead of Stafford would just about work.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Are these "spoilers" to frustrate the planned GNWR services approved by the ORR?

AndrewE

Established Member
And where do they suppose to fit this service into Crewe Station? Looks like most of the station is full around that time xx50-xx00 hours in the current timetable. And also a LNWR goes out before the 1709 at 1705, and stops at both Hartford & Winsford, so there's going to be some jigging around there by the looks of it.
Could the new xx09 from Lime st overtake the stopper at Lpool S Parkway? That would get it to Crewe earlier too.

VT 390

Established Member
Ideally, yes, but that would need a major recast of the timetable North of Warrington to take advantage of the omitted stops whereas these are overlaid on the existing one.
Lancaster is 20 minutes further from London, and it isn't a good place to turn round trains with at least 4 through trains each way calling most hours (that has changed even since 2008!)
Could they not use platform 5 at Lancaster to turn back trains, this way it is out of the way of the through trains.

VT 390

Established Member

I like this idea, but if they did then I think the additional Lancaster trains should stop at Crewe as the current hourly service north of Crewe is not enough.

Peter0124

Established Member
There should be more virgin Glasgow services rather than Liverpool as there is only 1tph Glasgow to Euston and 1tp2h Glasgow to Euston via Brum. 1.5tph is not enough and it should be increased to 2.5tph imo with 2tph running the Euston trent valley express. Liverpool do not need more as there are planes LNWR services to run from Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.