• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin - Removal of Cheap Advance Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Err no...
but as you've been benefiting from an error that has cost Virgin £1800 per year, maybe you should consider sending them a cheque for £1800 per year for however many years you have been travelling.
Or alternatively you could accept it was an error and that you'll now have to pay the going rate

Or perhaps the "error" is just a way for them to avoid admitting that they're jacking up the price.

I certainly find it curious that this "error" has been around for four years without them noticing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Look at Friday 3 July for Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston. £25 tickets are available on the 0505 and 0555. The 0610 and 0735 can be had for £35. This is bizarre. Getting something for less than £100 on any of these services can be considered doing well.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Look at Friday 3 July for Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston. £25 tickets are available on the 0505 and 0555. The 0610 and 0735 can be had for £35. This is bizarre. Getting something for less than £100 on any of these services can be considered doing well.

Not surprising as Friday tends to be the quietest day of the working week for business travel.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not surprising as Friday tends to be the quietest day of the working week for business travel.

Well maybe yes. But I'm surprised that justifies the fare being between a quarter and a fifth of what it is on other days! For some Monday - Thursday dates beyond it, the cheapest ticket is £135.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well maybe yes. But I'm surprised that justifies the fare being between a quarter and a fifth of what it is on other days! For some Monday - Thursday dates beyond it, the cheapest ticket is £135.

Time for me to pop up on this subject :)

Simply because (a) there are spare seats, and (b) they believe that is the fare at which they'll sell them to day trippers, I guess.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Time for me to pop up on this subject :)

Simply because (a) there are spare seats, and (b) they believe that is the fare at which they'll sell them to day trippers, I guess.

Virgin sell cheap seats on busy services too and they also have expensive tickets on empty trains as you probably know

Clip

Established Member

Im more surprised you are seemingly moaning about very cheap fares available?

Even on the Thursday before it you cant get to London before 11 for dirt cheap prices.

They obviously know bhow well their trains are loaded and they are going to run them anyway so why not get some money from doing so - if that means £20 fares then that should be good news shouldn't it?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm not moaning as such as you very helpfully put it. I'm expressing cynicism at the idea that demand at 5am is somehow 6 times great er on a Thursday morning than it is on a Friday morning.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
The latest, "unofficial", advice that I have had from a Virgin representative is that the priced the tickets incorrectly several years ago, this only came to light 4 weeks ago and the error was corrected. Therefore, this accounts for the £40 to £80 increase. This error is going to cost me £1800/year.

As I said earlier in the thread the £40 advance single is still available on the 0618 from Bangor so your "unofficial" advice is untrue. The £40 fare still exists, it's just no longer available on the train you want to travel on.

Status
Not open for further replies.