• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin seat reservations - coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel78

Some weeks ago I helped my girlfriend book a trip from Glasgow to Leeds. She's not a regular rail user so I booked her an advance ticket on the Virgin website; Virgin Glasgow to Lancaster, then Northern to Leeds.

A couple of weeks later I made arrangements to join her so I booked another ticket for myself.

When we made the trip on Monday I made sure we arrived at Glasgow early and intended to get us the pick of the seats on the unreserved coach so we would be able to sit together. It was only as we made our way up the platform and she pulled her ticket out I realised we were sitting next to each other.

Was this a coincidence? Or does the booking engine check to see if there was a previous booking for a case like this? I was pretty impressed anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Some weeks ago I helped my girlfriend book a trip from Glasgow to Leeds. She's not a regular rail user so I booked her an advance ticket on the Virgin website; Virgin Glasgow to Lancaster, then Northern to Leeds.

A couple of weeks later I made arrangements to join her so I booked another ticket for myself.

When we made the trip on Monday I made sure we arrived at Glasgow early and intended to get us the pick of the seats on the unreserved coach so we would be able to sit together. It was only as we made our way up the platform and she pulled her ticket out I realised we were sitting next to each other.

Was this a coincidence? Or does the booking engine check to see if there was a previous booking for a case like this? I was pretty impressed anyway.

I am almost certain that it was a coincidence that they were next to each other although I think the booking engine allocates the best seats by what information you enter which is why they may have been together.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure it's coincidental.

Ina similar way, Mrs G and myself almost always end up with C37 and C38 when we reserve seats on FGW HST's!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That makes sense, I hope I never get to the stage where I feel annoyed if we don't get 'our' seats! :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That makes sense, I hope I never get to the stage where I feel annoyed if we don't get 'our' seats! :lol:

I think both East Coast and Virgin do this - both seem to default to the quiet coach for me but will tell me if seats in those coaches cant be reserved

Status
Not open for further replies.