• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Settle and Carlisle Diversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthantsMan

Hello,

Are these happening this year? If so, when? I think I recall it was about June last year when it happened.

Will they be 57 drags or Voyagers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

There was one last night - 1852 SO Edinburgh to Crewe (31 March - 12 May). However from next week it reverts to the direct route. From a quick skim of the Virgin web site I can't see any others.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
There are a few during the weekend of 2/3 June. I'm not aware of any others. 99.9% likely to be Super Voyagers. Not seen a Pendo over the S&C for 4-5 years.
I doubt they have enough 57s left for standby and drags over the S&C.
Off topic: Would tpe ever consider running 185s via the S&C? I know It's happened before as an unplanned diversion.

Eagle

Established Member
VT's website said:
Saturday 2 June
The following services will be diverted via Settle and Carlisle;
1252 Edinburgh Waverley to Birmingham New St.
1320 Birmingham New St to Edinburgh Waverley.
1600 Glasgow Central to Birmingham New St.

The full route actually seems to be Birmingham–Crewe–Manchester–Golborne–Preston–Blackburn–Hellifield–Carlisle–Edinburgh/Glasgow (quite a few services are going via the Chat Moss like that).

Looks like it's just those three going through Settle though, and none for the rest of the weekend.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Did they make any calls at Blackburn Hellifield or Settle or non-stop through all?

Non-stop between Preston and Carlisle (at least for actual calls, pathing may lead to pausing in the platform), always has been for the last 8 or so years, certainly since the WCML modernisation finished.

Rather randomly I suppose, one weekend (or series of) way back in 2003~, Edinburgh-WCML-Plymouth trains were diverted via the S&C and Manchester, for some reason calling at Blackburn and Darwen on-route. I can remember standing on Blackburn railway station seeing departures for the West Country displayed. I think the call at Darwen was for pathing purposes over the single line thereafter that was for some reason designated as a passenger stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.