• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Standard Open Singles/Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenbogle

Does anyone know if you can still get a free upgrade to first class at the weekend with the above tickets?

I certainly know you used to be able to years ago and wondered if this is still ongoing.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Yes, if there is room.

National Rail Enquiries said:
On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

island

Veteran Member
Yes you can, although they're now called Anytime Singles and Anytime Returns, and you're supposed to see the train manager for permission I think.

All Line Rover

Established Member
It is still ongoing, but is subject to availability, so if First Class is full, First Class ticket holders take priority.

You are "supposed" to ask the TM first, but this never happens in practice.

Not all TM's know about the free upgrade (even though they should), so I'd recommend printing off the NRE quote from this page.

calc7

Established Member
I assume this deal works out quite favourably for Virgin.

Say you hold a return portion of a SOR from, say, Manchester to London, I believe it costs £296 at the moment.

The best thing to do would be to get a refund for half of it (£148 - £10 = £138) and then buy an Off-Peak Single (even better Return for a few pence more) ie roughly £74. The First Class upgrade fee on top of that is £15. So you're roughly £50 in pocket and hold a return portion that can be used within a month.

Instead, some people will get on the train and use a very valuable ticket on a mediocre service!

All Line Rover

Established Member
It turns out better on shorter journeys, I think.

Yes, namely, between Stafford and Manchester/Liverpool, between Wolverhampton and Rugby, and on intermediate journeys between Crewe and Carlisle.

In these cases, an SOR is often cheaper than an SVR plus 2x £15 upgrades; either because the fares are priced by different TOCs or because VT Only fares are available.

I wouldn't say it costs Virgin a great deal. No one would purchase two £15 upgrades on such short journeys - usually because it would be cheaper to buy an FOR!

pitdiver

Can anybody tell me if it is possible for a PTAC holder being able to upgrade FOC to first class on Virgin at weekends/bank holidays. Obviously I would have purchased a Priv Std anytime ticket.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Can anybody tell me if it is possible for a PTAC holder being able to upgrade FOC to first class on Virgin at weekends/bank holidays. Obviously I would have purchased a Priv Std anytime ticket.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "PTAC" and "FOC."

With regard to PRIV discounted Standard Anytime tickets (SOR/SOS), yes, these do still qualify for the free upgrade.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
PTAC: Privilege Ticket Authority Card
FOC: Freight Operating Company

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think in the context of pitdriver's post FOC means 'free of charge'. ;)

Yes, my apologies. Answered the question posted by ALR in auto-pilot mode.

pitdiver

Sorry guys for using acronyms/abbreviations. PTAC is in fact a Priv card issued to myself and partner by TFL when I took VS (sorry voluntary severance) from TFL. Before anybody shouts it was part of my severance package that I kept priv travel. However I didn't keep the one free ticket per year. Anyway thanks for the info looking forward to travelling to London in First Class one weekend.

glenbogle

Have bought 2 privs for the 1452 on 3/6/12 from Edinburgh to Wigan, it's going via Settle so a big bonus, prob not supposed to but reserved a couple of first class seats too. Start my holiday in style.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Have bought 2 privs for the 1452 on 3/6/12 from Edinburgh to Wigan, it's going via Settle so a big bonus, prob not supposed to but reserved a couple of first class seats too. Start my holiday in style.

It's worth noting that if the First Class gets full, and more First Class ticket holders appear (e.g. at Haymarket), you will have to leave your seats as the offer is subject to availability. Reservations don't make any difference.

To be honest I wouldn't worry as the 14:52 shouldn't be very busy. However I have been on a number of Super Voyagers between Birmingham and Crewe on a Sunday - when something was on at the NEC - where the First Class carraige was full.

glenbogle

Looks like it's a double voyageur as seats booked in coach L, have reservations for A just in case. Thanks for that.

6Gman

Established Member
Let me try to understand this.

If I have a PT Open ticket at a weekend I can have a free upgrade to First Class (space permitting etc) ?

Presumably this doesn't apply to PT Day Return or Free Passes?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Let me try to understand this.

If I have a PT Open ticket at a weekend I can have a free upgrade to First Class (space permitting etc) ?

Correct. Doesn't work particularly well on journeys to/from London as the SOR/SOS tickets are very expensive (it's much better value to buy an SVR/SDS plus the £10 or £15 upgrade), but like I said on post #8, it works very well on other, fairly short-distance journeys.

Presumably this doesn't apply to PT Day Return or Free Passes?

Correct. (The first one is very debatable ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.