• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Super Off Peak Single Birmingham - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've been sold (by East Coast's on-line site) a ticket from Birmingham to London for travel on a weekday in February. I've been charged £14.50 which I didn't think was a bad fare and have a seat reservation on the Virgin service at 0730, arriving Euston 0842.

Now I'm getting a little worried as I've noticed the ticket is a "Super Off Peak Single".

Is this an example of a very bizarre name for a ticket which is valid right in the middle of the peak or have I been missold the ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Very odd, I can't seem to find any Super Saver Singles valid on Virgin Trains or at the price of £14.50!

However if you have all the documentation then I don't know how they can argue - you are not at fault!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I liked it when I bought it as it didn't seem to be tied to the one train (although I'm quite used to getting advance tickets from Yorkshire to London). However I suspect I may have more problems if I catch a different train.

I've just had a look on eastcoast.co.uk and if I put in Birmingham - London single for Mon 8th Feb and hit the £14.50 single button at the top it lists a lot of trains. The restriction on screen says it is valid on off-peak services only but then lists trains from 0529 and only seems to miss out the London Midland services.

tony_mac

Established Member
It seems to be available from 15:30 on Jan 3rd; I wonder if the restriction is supposed to be not before 15:30 every day?

pemma

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've been sold (by East Coast's on-line site) a ticket from Birmingham to London for travel on a weekday in February. I've been charged £14.50 which I didn't think was a bad fare and have a seat reservation on the Virgin service at 0730, arriving Euston 0842.

I think what's happened is you bought a ticket for 9-12 weeks in advance. This means the return part isn't yet available as it's 13+ weeks in advance so you've bought what used to be called a Saver Single by one or two TOCs. I just looked at the East Coast Trains website and it does look like these are available to non-railcard holders in the morning peak on weekdays so is very strange. However, like other people have said if you have an accompanying seat reservation for this train then you shouldn't have any problems.

Edvid

Established Member
The ticket is also available on January 4 (in both directions). National Railcard discounts do apply.*
We'll have to wait until NFM05 is released in about a month before we can ascertain what the validity code is.

[* 16-25/Disabled/Family & Friends/HM Forces/Senior]

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it's a former "Saver Half" because
1) they are now called Off Peak Single (not Super Off Peak single)
2) they are only available on the Virgin website (not NXEC)
3) they are not available singly (despite the "simple" name suggesting otherwise)
4) the price is wrong

Questions:-
1) Is the ticket from Birmingham Stations to London Terminals? (not from Birmingham International)
2) Is the ticket routed Any Permitted or Virgin Trains only?
3) Is the ticket issued in conjunction with a Railcard or any other discount?

tony_mac

Established Member
having had a look,

1) Birmingham Stations, but is available from International and Coventry also, same price.
2) Virgin only
3) No, but it can be (£9.55, or £12 minimum fare)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't have a railcard (much too old/young for that depending which one!), but I didn't tell the site I did. Am I best treating this as an advance valid only on the train I booked on? It didn't say it was only valid on that train when I booked.

tony_mac

Established Member
I imagine that you are likely to get hassled whichever train you take! (if they actually bother checking the tickets), although a seat reservation certainly won't do any harm.

It might be an idea to buy the tickets now, print out all of the information, then try and get confirmation from Virgin that it will be accepted on the train sometime before you travel.

(BTW, you can have a family or student railcard at just about any age!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you get a reservation and stick to it, then they can't really do anything. If they do, go to the press! I've never heard of someone with a reservation sticking to that reservation be hassled for being on the "wrong" train and it's the sort of story that the press would pick up on (and Passenger Focus and other organisations would support you I'm sure).

But you must get a reservation and stick to it if you want to be sure!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've already bought the ticket and got the reservation. Will be a bit annoying as I liked the fact there didn't seem to be any restrictions so I could get a slightly later train. Have to make sure I get up in time (I'm in Birmingham for something rather late the night before!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The OP stated they purchased the ticket from East Coast Trains.
Yes, formerly National Express East Coast (same franchise, new name), which is one reason why it's not a former Saver Half (now Off Peak Single, but not available singly), as these are only available on the Virgin website (one day to be branded West Coast ;)).

CarDriver

Is the £14.50 Super Off Peak Single a special offer fare for Christmas?

I've been trying to find it for travel at the end of January, but it only seems to be available on the 3rd Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.