• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin to trial First Class breakfast on weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

Haven't seen this posted, but anyone travelling First Class with Virgin on selected services during the coming weekends will receive a complimentary breakfast as per the weekday offering. I gave up booking the Mirror ticket so got a First Advance from BHI - EUS this Sat and should receive a Great British breakfast too. Makes the Weekend First upgrade even better value.

Here's confirmation from the VT site:

First Class Breakfast Trial
From Saturday 6 June until Sunday 28 June we will be running a trial at weekends for our First Class customers, where you can enjoy a complimentary breakfast.

The trial is available on the following trains:

Saturday Sunday
0748 LIV – EUS 0900 PRE - EUS
1030 EUS – GLC 1238 EUS - BHM
0755 MAN – EUS 0920 MAN - EUS
1040 EUS – MAN 1255 EUS - MAN
0806 WVH – EUS 0805 WVH - EUS
1023 EUS – WVH 1115 EUS - LIV
0800 EUS – MAN 0920 EUS - MAN
1035 MAN – EUS 1235 MAN – EUS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
I think it was mentioned, as I was trying to work out if you can get breakfast in conjuction with a free weekend upgrade!

First class

Established Member
I wonder whether that means that the passengers holding a Standard Anytime Return ticket get the breakfast too, as opposed to just those with First Anytime tickets.

Would be rather nice as a Priv holder to get a free upgrade on the weekend, then get presented a lovely breakfast :D

scrapy

Established Member
Any idea whether the breakfast woud be available on shorter journeys eg. MAN - SOT/CRE or would you have to be travelling the full journey?

MAN - SOT £3.25 SDR on Priv (valid via CRE). Free 1st class upgrade on SDR

If so anyone in Manchester with a Priv wanting cheap breakie on a Saturday could take the

07.55 MAN - CRE arr. 08.27

08.33 CRE - SOT (LM) arr. 08.45

09.24 SOT - MAN (08.00 dep from EUS) - and get another breakie on your return!

First class

Established Member
Any idea whether the breakfast woud be available on shorter journeys eg. MAN - SOT/CRE or would you have to be travelling the full journey?

MAN - SOT £3.25 SDR on Priv (valid via CRE). Free 1st class upgrade on SDR

If so anyone in Manchester with a Priv wanting cheap breakie on a Saturday could take the

07.55 MAN - CRE arr. 08.27

08.33 CRE - SOT (LM) arr. 08.45

09.24 SOT - MAN (08.00 dep from EUS) - and get another breakie on your return!

I don't think SDR fares are permitted to upgrade. It has to be an Open Return ticket, e.g. Anytime Return- NOT Anytime Day Return. As there are no Open fares available for MAN-SOT- no breakfast unfourtunately :(

tony_mac

Established Member
tickets from Wigan / Rochdale are anytime returns.
It seems like a lot of effort to go to just for a breakfast though!

Krispo

Gutted, I'm on the 0719 from Liverpool a week on saturday in FC. no brekkie for me :(

Sandwiches are free from the shop though aren't they?

rail-britain

Established Member
Gutted, I'm on the 0719 from Liverpool a week on saturday in FC. no brekkie for me
Sandwiches are free from the shop though aren't they?
At weekends you get a choice :
Tea / coffee / canned soft drink
Crisps
Biscuits / snack bar
Piece of Fruit

On most journeys the kitchen is left open and stocked, so you don't need to go the shop if the kitchen is closer
However, obviously you will need to go the shop for the hot drinks
Take your ticket with you

Also, you can visit the shop at any time and as often as you want (so long as it's not excessive!)
I usually make three visits for tea, between Glasgow and Euston

MKB

At weekends you get a choice :
On most journeys the kitchen is left open and stocked, so you don't need to go the shop if the kitchen is closer

Is this right? I've done hundreds of first-class VT journeys at weekends and I've never heard of this. Isn't there even a sign on the kitchen door saying crew only?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Unless things have shockingly changed very very recently, I'm 100% certain that you aren't allowed in the kitchen on Pendolino's and i doubt you'd be allowed in, even if a member of staff was there with you- for health & safety/ insurance reasons.

Rail-britain, have you actually been in the kitchen yourself, with/without a member of staff, on a Pendolino?

John @ home

Established Member
Rail-britain, do you actually mean the kitchen, which is adjacent to the driver's cab, or so you mean the serving station within the passenger coach?

John

rail-britain

Established Member
Rail-britain, do you actually mean the kitchen, which is adjacent to the driver's cab, or so you mean the serving station within the passenger coach?
Yes, the kitchen
If you ask at the shop if the kitchen is open, then you will find it normally is, seek permission and it is normally granted
I've now been on many at weekends and only once was it locked
Furthermore the on-board staff are quite proactive and tend to invite you to make use of it

I know staff south of Preston frown upon it, but the Scottish crews northbound usually check to see what stock is left!
I usually sit in Coach K northbound, and make full use of the kitchen once I have received permission to do so once I've picked up my tea
The trick is to get premission from the shop or Train Manager first

tony_mac

Established Member
I don't think SDR fares are permitted to upgrade. It has to be an Open Return ticket, e.g. Anytime Return- NOT Anytime Day Return. As there are no Open fares available for MAN-SOT- no breakfast unfourtunately :(

Thank you for contacting Virgin Trains.

I am glad to inform you that you will be able to upgrade to First Class free of charge if you hold a Anytime Day ticket by informing the Train Manager, please note that this subject to availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.