• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains 1st class complimentary dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Hello everyone,
This service http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y81762/2019/03/06
is £20 standard and £38 first, is the extra £18 worth it for the free dinner if it serves it onboard? Does anyone have any experience traveling first with Virgin and their dinners? I've been on Virgin first twice from Birmingham and they didn't have any hot food left, not that I needed it since I had already eaten.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you doing the full service? If so it is probably worth it

VT 390

Established Member
I have been on that train before and the evening meal is served to passengers joining the train (or staying on board from previous stations) at Preston, Wigan and Warrington travelling to London. I would say it is worth it as even though the portion sizes can be small I think they are quite good and they will come round with the drinks trolley a few times. Also as they only start the evening meal service from Preston if you are on board then it is very unlikely they would have run out.

route101

Established Member
Done Preston to Glasgow in 1st recently , portion was small and service so so . I think was an extra £20 .

telstarbox

Established Member
The evening main course itself is small but you can also have dessert (chesecake or cheeseboard), snacks, fruit and the drinks trolley. I think £18 difference is worth it for what you get.

VT 390

Established Member
Is there any way of finding out what the menu will be after the 1st April?

route101

Established Member
The evening main course itself is small but you can also have dessert (chesecake or cheeseboard), snacks, fruit and the drinks trolley. I think £18 difference is worth it for what you get.

Suppose you can ask for more stuff

dave87016

Established Member
I experienced VTWC first class evening menu on Thursday for the first time in over a year and I was disappointed this time round I opted for the chicken tikka masala with rice the portion was unbelievably small the curry was dry the chicken was rubbery on the plus side the lemon cheesecake with cream was very nice

Based on this experience I would choose LNER anytime !!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I experienced VTWC first class evening menu on Thursday for the first time in over a year and I was disappointed this time round I opted for the chicken tikka masala with rice the portion was unbelievably small the curry was dry the chicken was rubbery on the plus side the lemon cheesecake with cream was very nice

Based on this experience I would choose LNER anytime !!
Agreed; the only part of VTWC catering that can positively be called 'good' is the breakfast on a weekday.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Hi folks, may as well ask this here.

I'm travelling on the 1135 Manchester to London on Thursday in First. Was only affordable because of an apology voucher so was only £23.50 single.

I assume it's either a brunch or daytime sort of menu in place? I'm not expecting the world :lol:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi folks, may as well ask this here.

I'm travelling on the 1135 Manchester to London on Thursday in First. Was only affordable because of an apology voucher so was only £23.50 single.

I assume it's either a brunch or daytime sort of menu in place? I'm not expecting the world :lol:

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/first-class/menu

It should be one of the weekday brunch menus on that service on offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.