• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains and LNER Train Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboi

Hey All,

I am thinking of applying next time the position of Train Manager comes up for either LNER or Virgin Trains and I was wondering if anyone knew what was involved with the process and the psychometric test? Someone told me once it was an industry standard but was wondering what that was!

Any info would be greatly appreciated

:)
biggrin.png

Have a great day!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

You’ll be waiting a very very long time for any external TM positions at VT. It’s a very sought after position and is traditionally internal applicants only. Even if you are successful you then have to wait in a talent pool. I can only think of 1 or 2 external campaigns in the last 10 years or so and they were depot specific. Probably not what you want to hear I’m afraid!

Unfortunately I don’t know how it works at LNER.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Virgin trains did advertise two vacancies for People Manager in May - one was based out of Liverpool and the other in Holyhead. I applied for one but didn't get through the paper sift. I think on reflection I may have been punching above my weight as the job was perhaps more suited to someone with a marketing or business background.

The job involved working onboard at certain times and managing members of staff such as the customer service assistant. I don't think they are responsible for the drivers as I'm sure like you said they will have driver team managers.

The Virgin jobs are quite well paid and thus are well sought after so I would anticipate you may be waiting a long time for that specific job you referred to and if anything does come up there will be some fearsome competition.

PeteBR

Hi Flyboi, good luck with your applications! In terms of LNER its the industry standard psychometrics practice materials you can get online from the OPC. like the others have said its unusual for Train Managers to come externally so it may be worth applying for other positions to get a foot in the door so to speak, but that said I am aware of others have come into the train managers positions externally, but like I say very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.