• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaza

What was the closing date for the Euston csa position?, I haven't heard anything about the Piccadilly CSA job yet and the closing date was the 16/05/12, next to the application it just says submitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I applied for this and haven't even been invited to the assessment day, which, based on my current employment and qualifications, I am bitterly disappointed about.

RJ

Established Member
You'd do best to seek advice from someone who's already in, or done the job before. What you think may appeal to them, might not actually be what works ;)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You'd do best to seek advice from someone who's already in, or done the job before. What you think may appeal to them, might not actually be what works ;)

I have my sources! :P Seriously though, I genuinely don't know what they are looking for.

FManc

If anyone wants any advice PM me as I've been through the application process and assessment day.

Last edited:

kaza

No, I didn't get an interview either. I am a nurse and have been airline cabin crew for 6 years so I kinda thought that would tick the right box's but obviously not!

I did wonder if it was maybe all internal applicants they went for?

FManc

No, I didn't get an interview either. I am a nurse and have been airline cabin crew for 6 years so I kinda thought that would tick the right box's but obviously not!

I did wonder if it was maybe all internal applicants they went for?

I was the only internal candidate there out of about 10-14 people.

kaza

Just keep trying :)
Some station jobs have come up at Manchester if that's of interest to you.

TBH, A casual CSA position would suit me better so hopefully they will advertise your old position soon! :D

Established Member
What was the closing date for the Euston csa position?, I haven't heard anything about the Piccadilly CSA job yet and the closing date was the 16/05/12, next to the application it just says submitted.

They do have a habit of either taking forever or withdrawing the post months down the line.

Not at all professional.

FF21

I applied for a CSA (onboard), based out of Carlisle a few months back.

I was invited to a "Recruitment Event and Interview" on July 19th, at 10:30 am at the Train Station in Carlisle. I was told to expect to be there the best part of the day...

hopefully it goes well. The job pays great....23-grand....

bellasingleton

Hello
Today is my first day here.
I applyed for CSA Euston Station and received an invitation for the recruitment day but reading the posts I have noticed that some of you received some material before the recruitment day. So I am a little bit confused.
Well I applyed for other roles and had the math tests on line and have failed. They are trick, you don't have time to think. I am wondering if there will be the same, the same on line tests we take for some customer services roles.
Can anyone give me some help please?

Thank you

Bella;)

FManc

Hello
Today is my first day here.
I applyed for CSA Euston Station and received an invitation for the recruitment day but reading the posts I have noticed that some of you received some material before the recruitment day. So I am a little bit confused.
Well I applyed for other roles and had the math tests on line and have failed. They are trick, you don't have time to think. I am wondering if there will be the same, the same on line tests we take for some customer services roles.
Can anyone give me some help please?

Thank you

Bella;)

I don't know anyone who has received material before the recruitment event when applying for a CSA position or anyone who has been asked to complete a maths test online :? The maths test is related to timetables, tickets, offers, shop sales etc...

bellasingleton

ive been a csa with virgin before. i preped for my interview and turns out i didnt need to bother. manager said ill be taught all i need to know about the company.

hardest part of the day will be the assessments. make sure you spend plenty of time with the prep material they will send you. youll also have a group discussion exercise. this shows how you interact with people you dont know. make sure you have your say, and dont just clam up. and if you get your chance bring the quiet ones into the conversation, this shows team work.

in your interview youll be asked what you know about the job. i can help with that if you wanna tell me what the job is and where ur applying. good luck.

Thanks for the reply, the quote above is the first one. I haven't received any material just an email saying I would have a competency test, group test and interview. Maybe I am misunderstanding...That is why I am confused.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
youll have a comprehension test, and maths tests, that take the form of ticket issuing and ticket checking. then the people who didnt pass all of the will be sent home. and then youll go in for the group assessment. then after that you will have another elimination and the people left will be interviewed and considered for the role.

That is the second reason I am confused... , comprehension test, math, ticket... is that part of the competency test?
I really would appreciate some guidance, please?

Thank you very much.

Bella :oops:

Last edited:

FManc

Thanks for the reply, the quote above is the first one. I haven't received any material just an email saying I would have a competency test, group test and interview. Maybe I am misunderstanding...That is why I am confused.

That is the second reason I am confused... , comprehension test, math, ticket... is that part of the competency test?
I really would appreciate some guidance, please?

Thank you very much.

Bella :oops:

I've had that email before and you won't receive any material beforehand just to clear things up.

There are two compentency tests - a comprehension and a maths one. The ticket stuff forms part of the maths test e.g. adding up the price of two tickets for instance.

Hope that helps!

bellasingleton

Yes, helped me a lot. Thank you, I also have searched and other people have the same questions.
Now is to prepare myself and wait...
Thank you very much.
:D

kaza

Thanks, I hadn't seen that!

Just applied
x

Last edited:

phil8715

Do you do the maths assessment online at home or at the recruitment day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaza

They're advertising at the moment for casual CSA's at Manchester ;)

With casual work, I assume they let you know what work is available and you can decline if you wish? It does say weekends only.

Thanks
Karen

FManc

Do you do the maths assessment online at home or at the recruitment day?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

At the recruitment day with the other test as well.
With casual work, I assume they let you know what work is available and you can decline if you wish? It does say weekends only.

Thanks
Karen

Yep it's strictly weekends only.
Yeah you don't have to accept every shift they offer you (but it looks better if you do as many as you can). Normally you'll let them know your availability a few days in advance.

RJ

Established Member
I have my sources! :P Seriously though, I genuinely don't know what they are looking for.

Nobody has asked me! Well, I forwarded these mysterious assessment/interview guide files to one of my best friends and shared a couple of secrets with him...surprise surprise, he got the job. I've passed enough of their events to have some idea of what they're looking for ;)

kaza

Nobody has asked me! Well, I forwarded these mysterious assessment/interview guide files to one of my best friends and shared a couple of secrets with him...surprise surprise, he got the job. I've passed enough of their events to have some idea of what they're looking for ;)

Could you email me the secrets! please. Because I am not sure what they want, I got a job first time around with the airline and lasted 6 years, but cant get an interview for the railway!
THANKS FOR ANY HELP
X

The stig

Good evening all. I am thinking of applying for a position in Manchester (station based). Can anyone give me any advice for completing the on-line application, especially where it says give an example of a time when.....

I have not completed an application form in years, so any advice would be good. And any advice on building a cv as I haven't got one of them either.

The position is with Virgin Trains. As a Csa but station based. really need help and really need a new job.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Those competency questions are self explanatory - you just need to write good examples which show that you have the attributes that they tell you they are looking for.

You will need a CV which I presume at the minimum, shows that you have had experience in customer service roles.

paulgreen32

Hi People,

ive not been on here long but there is loads of great advice and i feel that i may be able to pass on a bit of knowledge. I recently applied for the csa / dispatch job with virgin at wolverhampton and i start training monday. The sheer amount of applications virgin must get and have to process must be mind blowing and after applying for jobs with first and receiving rejections on a regular basis leads me to believe that what ever there looking for im not tailoring my applications well enough !

As for Virgin in my opinion there looking for good people who are presentable and want to be good at customer care, ie there personality is such that when poo hits the fan there going to stay calm and polite, the rest they can teach you on there training program. I understand that some people who posted have fantastic cvs and must be banging there head against there phones when the emails come back without an invite to the assessment center.

Hope this helps you guys with your next applications

Paul

these opinions are my own and not Representative of my employer.

Last edited:

FionaA

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have recently applied to be a platform CSA in Edinburgh. I am looking for any hints or tips as to what questions might be asked in the interview and also what they expect of you on the day. I realise they will ask certain competency questions but can anyone advise me what a CSA would come up against in the role and how would they handle certain situations like drunk people and abusive passengers? I have read that these situations happen when there are big events going on in the city or if there are cancelled trains then people can become quite angry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this post. :D

Fiona

kaza

whooo, if at first you don't suceed try again !!
Start training 5th August as a CSA.
Quick question if anyone know's do you get free train travel whilst you are training?
Also once working for them if you are in uniform ie going to work would other train operators let you jump on for free, or do you have to still buy a ticket?

Thanks

Karl

On Moderation
whooo, if at first you don't suceed try again !!

Congratulations!

I've just read this thread and was surprised it was from last year. It made me smile when your patience paid off and you came back here to update us.

Good luck with your new job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.