• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaza

I have applied for the job of CSA with virgin, I am a qualified nurse and have been cabin crew for 4 years, so I suspect I will get an interview. Does anyone have any tips I have read through the forums.

Do I need to know much about trains, as I am not very clued up on them?

Also, if there are any virgin CSA's on here what uniform items are provided (do you have to wear the waistcoat)? I know it's not mega important! I was just curious.

Thanks so much for any info.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
You don't need to be an anorack, but it would be best to do a bit of research on what type of trains Virgin run (two main ones and a set of carriages hauled by a class 90), the main routes and other general information about the company - much in the same way you'd prepare for any other interview.

In many cases it is better to not know much and do a little bit of research, rather than be a train fanatic who can list every nut and bolt contained within a locomotive.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Personally, I think network knowledge will be better than knowledge about the trains.

Customers (who WILL ask) need to know about where they're going, not what kind of train they're travelling on.

Established Member
That's a good point - although training will be given on the rail network, if you have some sort of previous knowledge about railway geography, it would be advantageous.

AndyBoo

ive been a csa with virgin before. i preped for my interview and turns out i didnt need to bother. manager said ill be taught all i need to know about the company.

hardest part of the day will be the assessments. make sure you spend plenty of time with the prep material they will send you. youll also have a group discussion exercise. this shows how you interact with people you dont know. make sure you have your say, and dont just clam up. and if you get your chance bring the quiet ones into the conversation, this shows team work.

in your interview youll be asked what you know about the job. i can help with that if you wanna tell me what the job is and where ur applying. good luck.

kaza

in your interview youll be asked what you know about the job. i can help with that if you wanna tell me what the job is and where ur applying. good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, everyone for your replies.

The job is an on board CSA, at Manchester Piccadilly.

What do the assessment's entail?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
Karen

Last edited:

AndyBoo

youll have a comprehension test, and maths tests, that take the form of ticket issuing and ticket checking.

then the people who didnt pass all of the will be sent home. and then youll go in for the group assessment. then after that you will have another elimination and the people left will be interviewed and considered for the role.

Anonymous

Going from long haul cabin crew to working on a train!

The only reason being pay I assume? Or is the long haul just too much now?

AndyBoo

there are loads of ex cabin crew working on-board with virgin. seems like a natural progression when you start missing your own bed every night.

kaza

No it's not the pay, I have children now and long haul cabin crew is really not at all compatible with family life!

Thanks for the replies.

FManc

I've applied for this position as well :)
I'm already a weekend CSA at Virgin but only casual, so looking to taken on permenantly/get more hours.

It's a great job and I really love it! Pay is good as well.
Just be yourself at the interview and brush up on your maths and comprehension and that's the first hurdle done with.

kaza

I've applied for this position as well :)
I'm already a weekend CSA at Virgin but only casual, so looking to taken on permenantly/get more hours.

It's a great job and I really love it! Pay is good as well.
Just be yourself at the interview and brush up on your maths and comprehension and that's the first hurdle done with.

Thanks, do you know how many positions there are? This is also only for weekends.

AndyBoo

it is definitely only for weekends. im not sure how many position their are but its also for internal applicants too.

they say for external its a temporary position and for internal its a permanent position.

so to me that says, we already have people we want on permanent contracts. unless we find someone really super.

and when i say super, i mean you have to be super woman. i was on a temporary contract, i received written commendations from colleagues, customers, and managers. ALL PLURAL. not just the odd letter. didn't even have a day off. and after 9 months they said goodbye to me.

so i really dont know what they are looking for.

just to add also, without worrying about job security, its a great job to have. I loved every minute of it.

kaza

Thanks, hopefully I will see you at the a/d FManc.

AndyBoo - are you not going to reapply?

AndyBoo

i always apply. but since they let me go ive never even made it to an assessment day.

i started ringing up for feedback and go nowhere. but what i did find out was that they have the assessment day before they inform failed applicants.

dont take my word for that, but thats the decision ive come to after talking to a few of the recruitment team.

kaza

i always apply. but since they let me go ive never even made it to an assessment day.

i started ringing up for feedback and go nowhere. but what i did find out was that they have the assessment day before they inform failed applicants.

dont take my word for that, but thats the decision ive come to after talking to a few of the recruitment team.

Oh no, what a shame, keep trying

AndyBoo

i really wish you the best of luck. let me know if you get an assessment. think you stand a good chance with ur experience.

ill help you all i can, even on the day, if you want my number you can text me and ill answer ur questions as the assessment goes on. i know i wont be there. lol

kaza

i really wish you the best of luck. let me know if you get an assessment. think you stand a good chance with ur experience.

ill help you all i can, even on the day, if you want my number you can text me and ill answer ur questions as the assessment goes on. i know i wont be there. lol

That's very kind of you, I may not get to the a/d either! the format of the day actually sounds more or less the same as cabin crew interviews, so I (think) I have a fair idea of what to expect.

The comprehension assessment, is it reading something on VT and answering questions?
Are you entitled to free transport to Crewe for the 3 week training course if you are successful?

Would you not like to try cabin crew its brilliant, I just am not in a position to do it anymore.

Karen
x

AndyBoo

tried cabin crew assessments. feedback was i was too big built. got big shoulders, too much weight training, blows my bmi way out of proportion.

Sammy h

You get free travel to Crewe for the training yes.

The comprehension texts are reading a paragraph and then answering about five questions on that paragraph. There are six of these paragraphs (If I remember right)

AndyBoo

You get free travel to Crewe for the training yes.

The comprehension texts are reading a paragraph and then answering about five questions on that paragraph. There are six of these paragraphs (If I remember right)

completely right, but it wont be 3 weeks at crewe. 2 of those are on-board shadowing a service manager from manchester.

phil8715

in your interview youll be asked what you know about the job. i can help with that if you wanna tell me what the job is and where ur applying. good luck.

Thanks, everyone for your replies.

The job is an on board CSA, at Manchester Piccadilly.

What do the assessment's entail?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
Karen[/QUOTE]

If you get the job you might be working with my brother he works for Virgin as a CSA he's based at Piccadilly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaza

Will keep you all informed, and thank you everyone who has kindly taken the time to reply to me. :)

kzay

ive been a csa with virgin before. i preped for my interview and turns out i didnt need to bother. manager said ill be taught all i need to know about the company.

hardest part of the day will be the assessments. make sure you spend plenty of time with the prep material they will send you. youll also have a group discussion exercise. this shows how you interact with people you dont know. make sure you have your say, and dont just clam up. and if you get your chance bring the quiet ones into the conversation, this shows team work.

Hello mate just read the above and would like to ask your help if you don't mind. I have applied for csa role in london euston in customer lounge, and would like to know details about the interview if possible please. Many thanks! :)

AndyBoo

your interview will have similar questions to the ones you answered on ur application form. you'll have competency based questions so get thinking of scenarios you've experienced. you'll also be asked what you know about the role. my advice would be go into the lounge at euston and ask some questions.

but before your interviewed you have to survive two eliminations. you'll have a few written tests to sit first. if you fail you'll be sent home, but if you pass you will sit a group discussion exercise. you'll have topics to talk about and you'll be marked on your interaction with others. don't be too pushy and definitely don't be too quiet, pass this and you'll be interviewed.

just so you know, i have never applied for this role. the information above is from my experience applying for numerous roles within the company.

WCMLaddict

There seems to be a lot of training going on today at the Euston lounge. Or maybe they are assessments?

AndyBoo

haha, lol. i have applied. and i know its a good application. when i was working for them, this very same application form got me assessment for many jobs, revenue inspector, ticket office, train manager, and before they let me go this form even got me an assessment for my own job (kick in the teeth) lol.

i didn't get any of the jobs I applied for but I always got as far as the assessment day. Since they let me go ive applied for countless positions and ive received to assessment days.

Obviously i wasn't good enough, even though with my 9 months service i received written commendations from managers, customers and colleagues. I couldn't have worked any harder. I don't know what else I could have done. But there is obviously a note somewhere to say I don't deserve another chance.

bigbaddom

Hi

Ive passed my tests and have been invited to the recruitment event for group exercise and interview....

It is based at Euston.

It is a fixed contract, but no details as to the length...

Any ideas on this??

FManc

Hi

Ive passed my tests and have been invited to the recruitment event for group exercise and interview....

It is based at Euston.

It is a fixed contract, but no details as to the length...

Any ideas on this??

Most likely up until the 8th December 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.