• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains: Early Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Swindon-Gloucester-Cheltenham with 2 car 158s in the Regional Railways Express livery. I remember going on it one time on the way back from visiting my Great Grandmother who lived near Stroud. Think the stations on the Golden Valley were still managed by Wales&West/Wessex Trains though, which was what we were more used to on that line, after stepping off a First Great Western HST at Swindon.
Did they call at Stonehouse and Kemble also?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

Did they call at Stonehouse and Kemble also?
Yes they did. One occasion I remember seeing on a “Video Track” Production, the 2 car 158 had failed…so VT used 2 Class 47s top and tail with a rake of mk2s for one round trip along the line until the 158 could be coaxed back into life.

Out of interest…where did the VT 158s officially live?

delt1c

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned the Ramsgate service using D9000. Used it once Crewe to Birmingham New Street. Entering Crewe it was unbelievable the speed it came in at and still stoped , would say faster than any electric service i have seen. Only problem was because of the Deltic haulage it was overloaded with enthusiasts

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yes they did. One occasion I remember seeing on a “Video Track” Production, the 2 car 158 had failed…so VT used 2 Class 47s top and tail with a rake of mk2s for one round trip along the line until the 158 could be coaxed back into life.

Out of interest…where did the VT 158s officially live?
Can't answer that question unfortunately but I just wanted to add that this must have been interesting for passengers travelling to Stonehouse (or else Mk2 rake must have been a short one), as it's only very recently that the platform there has been extended to take more than about 2 or 3 carriages!

It's a nice line with some delightful scenery, particularly as it passes through the valleys between Stroud and Kemble. Somewhat underrated in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.