• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
I'm quite looking forward to my breakfast with VTEC tomorrow...

Or at least I was. Not sure if I'm feeling particularly hungry anymore!

Bayum

Established Member
Either ways, that's twice I've not been offered a drink and they've gone straight past me.

Chrism20

Established Member
A new low was reached today.

1030 stopper to Edinburgh. Tea and coffee around stevenage and again at Newark along with cold drinks then nothing until departing Newcastle.

They continued to serve food and there were two managers on that journey as well as the Train Manager but no one thought about serving drinks. I could understand if it was busy but it was only about half full and there were at least three other crew visible in first class as well as the managers mentioned.

So anyone travelling from Doncaster, York, Northallerton, Darlington or Durham did not get a drink unless they were going beyond Newcastle.

They would also be as well contacting some of the other TOCs and offering them standard class catering trolleys at a discounted price as I don't think I've been on a service where one has turned a wheel since early May.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think after this wowfull performance I'll will forgive Mr M20 for his grumpyness in another thread earlier in the day. To say its a little concerning is an understatement.

I have however observed the rare species that it the standard trolley, always North of EDB though.

Chrism20

Established Member
I think after this wowfull performance I'll will forgive Mr M20 for his grumpyness in another thread earlier in the day. To say its a little concerning is an understatement.

I have however observed the rare species that it the standard trolley, always North of EDB though.

Haha, thank you kind sir!

They are definitely rare these days.

skyhigh

Established Member
I've been travelling Leeds-King's Cross and return on various services at least weekly since June - in that time I've seen the trolley through once (cash only!)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've been travelling Leeds-King's Cross and return on various services at least weekly since June - in that time I've seen the trolley through once (cash only!)
Vouching for that. 1815 Leeds-Kings Cross has had no visible trolley this evening.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can't remember the last time I saw the trolley or heard a catering announcement that did not contain words to the effect of 'we're sorry that there is no standard class trolley today'.

Chrism20

Established Member
Can't remember the last time I saw the trolley or heard a catering announcement that did not contain words to the effect of 'we're sorry that there is no standard class trolley today'.

I have seen one. 0830 to London on Tuesday morning. Fully stocked and raring to go as I trundled down the platform and then the magic words came over the PA on departure from Waverley, Berwick, Newcastle, Darlington and York saying.......

"Due to staffing shortages.........."

OLJR

I am taking the 0930 VTEC from Newcastle to York in 1ST tomorrow. Can I expect a cooked breakfast/bacon roll? Many thanks in advance. :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I am taking the 0930 VTEC from Newcastle to York in 1ST tomorrow. Can I expect a cooked breakfast/bacon roll? Many thanks in advance. :)

I've caught the 0757 from Newcastle to York before and have managed the full service no problem.

DownoSignalman

Let us know what you got! Always looking for reliable first class offerings on shorter journeys when planning my ALRs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backontrack

Established Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why 70 mins? Seems a rather arbitrary cut-off to me.
They have to have a cut-off somewhere! :lol:

But I believe it was chosen in order to enable them to not be obliged to offer the full service to passengers making journeys such as Alnmouth to Edinburgh (non-stop) Grantham to London etc, as they want to clear everything away in good time for when the train terminates (or the catering crew gets off).

So if the crew was alighting at York, you'd not get the breakfast. In practice, the crew is likely to be on to London so they are likely to offer the breakfast even to passengers just going to York in this case.

NottsPhil

Passengers travelling Grantham to London (or vice versa) receive the full offer even if the journey is slightly under 70 minutes, those from Peterborough don't. Joining on the southbound at Grantham they are always round promptly to take orders.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see. I wonder why 70 minutes rather than a nice round hour...
I answered that above ;)
Passengers travelling Grantham to London (or vice versa) receive the full offer even if the journey is slightly under 70 minutes, those from Peterborough don't. Joining on the southbound at Grantham they are always round promptly to take orders.
They are lucky then! Is this an official exception to the rule, or are the crews just being nice?

I recall someone asking about food from Alnmouth to Edinburgh and they were told that because the journey time was 69 minutes they'd not get any food other than a biscuit.

Butts

Veteran Member
I answered that above ;)
They are lucky then! Is this an official exception to the rule, or are the crews just being nice?

I recall someone asking about food from Alnmouth to Edinburgh and they were told that because the journey time was 69 minutes they'd not get any food other than a biscuit.

I have had a Breakfast served travelling from Edinburgh to Alnmouth several times - sit in J or K and hope it's not busy :p

It's been served anything between 10 mins out of Waverley and 5 mins before arriving in Alnmouth with the former negating the use of Rennies afterwards.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think I'd rather just have the option of paying for a decent meal when I wanted it, than having to work out whether my journey was 69 minutes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes refer to earlier pages of this thread for several different examples of that discussion :lol: