• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Ozziedog

Obviously, services going beyond Edinburgh to places like Inverness or Aberdeen will be HST diesel units.

Also, the 125 Society publishes a list of diesel services here:-

http://www.125group.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/HST-Diags-VTEC.pdf

Bear in mind though that these are liable to last-minute changes during times of disruption.

Thanks that is just what I need, although my next visit will be in the winter, at least the summer schedule will be a guide, I don't suppose you know when the winter schedule is published do you?

Proof that they do change the schedule is demonstrated by the fact that I was on an electric train from Newcastle leaving at 10 am this Summer (which is the 8.30 am from Edinburgh) which according to that schedule should have been a diesel train.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
Thanks, I've seen the seating plan and photos online, the seats I want to book are (and others like them) K27, 29, 31 and 33. Although if as you say the trolleys keep coming past it might not work out. He can't really sit under the table because I am not travelling with anyone, unless of course the seat opposite with me was vacant, does first class tend to fill up too? It would be great if it was half empty. I might have to revert back to plan A and simply buy a seat for him in standard class, that way there is guaranteed space for him, it would be a shame to miss out on the extra comfort of first class though (especially the lounges, while waiting for my train in the winter). I've just looked at the seating plan again, seats 31 and 29 look best to avoid problems with trolleys.

I wouldn't want to eat too much anyway, I was just checking that it wasn't just one drink. Sounds like travelling at the weekend might be best to avoid hot food, my dog is a Labrador and if people around me are eating proper dinners it might tease him too much.

I think that I have only ever travelled on the electric train, do they also run the HST on the same line? if so, is there any pattern in the timetable? Because obviously I want to travel on the electric trains for the extra space.

There is plenty of room around those 27-31 seats so the dog will be fine there.

Personally with a dog I'd go for coach L.

K is the quiet coach so probably not the best with a dog although I've seen plenty in there.
M is the one that the advances seem to get allocated into first off which leaves L as the (usually) quieter one of the three.

If you book directly with Virgin East Coast you can change your seat easily enough at the booking stage.

Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
It will be a while before I use VTEC first class yesterday travelled on the 15:55 from York to Edinburgh no hot food they ran out of sandwiches before Newcastle 2 drink runs of tea coffee and alcoholic beverages . The staff looked totally blank

really disappointed and sad at how it's changed , 5 years ago you would get a brilliant service and rarely a poor service these days it's quite the opposite

Chrism20

Established Member
It will be a while before I use VTEC first class yesterday travelled on the 15:55 from York to Edinburgh no hot food they ran out of sandwiches before Newcastle 2 drink runs of tea coffee and alcoholic beverages . The staff looked totally blank

really disappointed and sad at how it's changed , 5 years ago you would get a brilliant service and rarely a poor service these days it's quite the opposite

This is what I experience at least twice a week between Newcastle and Edinburgh. It's not a one off, it's a regular occurrence unfortunately.

Ozziedog

Chrism20 previously mentioned that the trains tend to be less packed going North on Mondays and travelling South on Fridays, is there also particular times of day when the trains (and first class in particular) tend to be less full.

Chrism20

Established Member
Chrism20 previously mentioned that the trains tend to be less packed going North on Mondays and travelling South on Fridays, is there also particular times of day when the trains (and first class in particular) tend to be less full.

Southbound on a Monday and northbound on a Friday are the busiest I find, although southbound on a Friday can also be very busy with leisure traffic for the weekend.

There is an availability tracker on the website (I’m on my phone just now and am having difficulty finding it but it is there somewhere) which for my usual Edinburgh to Newcastle journeys I find is fairly accurate.

I need to go to London once a month and usually always try and get the 0930 or the 1030 back home the following day as they never seem that busy mainly due to them being the stoppers. The 1000 sandwiched in between can be very busy as it’s the Aberdeen so I try and avoid that one even though it’s a quicker journey. The 0930 is my preferred one though as there is a York terminator goes out at 0908 which always seems to have cheaper fares than the 0930 which means its a bit quieter usually.

DeeGee

Morning folks,

I've managed to avail myself of an Advance First from Doncaster to London on the 1346 VTEC on Friday 13th October. It was only a few pounds more than the Standard Advance so I thought I'd afford myself a little luxury.

Catering wasn't the defining factor, and I'm going out for dinner with my parents in London that evening, but I'm wondering whether to grab myself some lunch in Doncaster before travelling.

It's slightly over the 90 minute window that constitutes a "short" journey.

What am I to expect? More interestingly, as I've never travelled first on a weekday, how does it work? Does someone take my order? Does it come off a trolley like on an aeroplane?

I've chosen the quiet coach, will that make a difference?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find that the more complicated the first class offering, the more likely one is to be disappointed. A reasonably priced premium for a more comfortable/less crowded travelling environment with perhaps some hot drinks thrown in, is the best formula.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Agreed. I really like the EMT way, free drinks a bickies and food to order.

For the Donny London trip you should in theory get offered the rest of the day menue, sandwitches off a trolley along with cake and drinks, hot food to order.

Chrism20

Established Member
Today is the third time in about ten days the following announcement has been made.

“Unfortunately there will be no standard trolley until after Newcastle due to staff shortages and in first class there will be no bakery basket until after Newcastle due to staff shortages”.

Orange juice is also on the bakery basket so it appears toast and juice in the mornings is fast becoming a “South of the border” event.

leightonbd

Today is the third time in about ten days the following announcement has been made.

“Unfortunately there will be no standard trolley until after Newcastle due to staff shortages and in first class there will be no bakery basket until after Newcastle due to staff shortages”.

Orange juice is also on the bakery basket so it appears toast and juice in the mornings is fast becoming a “South of the border” event.

just experiencing the mirror image of this; on the 1230 ex EDB the tannoy has, since Doncaster if not Newcastle, been broadcasting 'no trolley in SC'.

The FC service has been exemplary, though, at least staff and drinks-wise. I reckon I could have had five cracks at the drinks trolley (but have been drinking water/ tea). The ubiquitous sausage roll was a bit charred but the lamb/ couscous looked good - smelt more like a curry though.

Butts

Veteran Member

Just to remind you a couple of years ago we used to moan about the "toast famine" when obtaining a second slice was sometimes problematic. With the OJ now going west and no toast at all .....:cry:

Why don't they just bung a couple of bits on the breakfast plate with a carton of axle grease - sure people would rather have a a bit regardless of the presentation !!!

Butts

Veteran Member
just experiencing the mirror image of this; on the 1230 ex EDB the tannoy has, since Doncaster if not Newcastle, been broadcasting 'no trolley in SC'.

The FC service has been exemplary, though, at least staff and drinks-wise. I reckon I could have had five cracks at the drinks trolley (but have been drinking water/ tea). The ubiquitous sausage roll was a bit charred but the lamb/ couscous looked good - smelt more like a curry though.

Sacrilege :roll: - they are portable you know (the Scotches)

Who cares about the "peasants trolley" as long as the free booze is flowing !!

Last edited:

aar0

I was on the 1330 from KGX today, fab service, really enjoyed the Moroccan lamb. Could probably have squeezed a 4th round of drinks in, but that's hardly a massive complaint. Mentioned staffing issues (I upgraded on the train having checked they could offer a full service) and they said they'd get through it!

Chrism20

Established Member
Just to remind you a couple of years ago we used to moan about the "toast famine" when obtaining a second slice was sometimes problematic. With the OJ now going west and no toast at all .....:cry:

Why don't they just bung a couple of bits on the breakfast plate with a carton of axle grease - sure people would rather have a a bit regardless of the presentation !!!

It’s all a bit bizarre at the moment with VTEC tbh.

Today was a bit different for me. Normally I do Edinburgh to Newcastle, however I’ve had to go to Sheffield for a meeting so was on the train to York and having seen what happened today the new crewing system that was implemented earlier in the year is a riot.

Left Edinburgh and there was the announcement that there were staff shortages. From observation and announcements there was a train manager, chef and two others onboard (one buffet and one FC).

They all got off at Newcastle and were replaced with another crew who all appeared to get off at York and were replaced with another crew.

I overheard some of the ones getting off at York saying they were working the 1203 to London.

Three complete changes of crew in one Edinburgh to London journey is ludicrous and is probably what is causing most of the problems.

I know the crew need to get breaks and stuff and completely understand that but there must be a better way of doing a schedule than that as it’s laughable.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm on the 1602 York to London, and the service is excellent. They started taking food requests before we'd even left York, and it would have easily been possible to have the full offering by Retford (or everything bar hot drinks by Doncaster).

Not all crews are this good, but many are!

aar0

I'm on the 1602 York to London, and the service is excellent. They started taking food requests before we'd even left York, and it would have easily been possible to have the full offering by Retford (or everything bar hot drinks by Doncaster).

I'm not far behind you then, but we've got no hot food on the 1658. Relatively slow service, but friendly - think it's on half the usual number of staff.

Chrism20

Established Member
Short staffed again this morning but someone must have been listening to Butts as there is a slice of toast hiding under the eggs and mushrooms.

Also one of the best EC breakfasts I’ve had in a long time.

Attachments

• 85E5BE9F-02CD-43CA-A93D-26FD5186189D.jpeg
    85E5BE9F-02CD-43CA-A93D-26FD5186189D.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 54

Starmill

Veteran Member

The last time I used that service (admittedly over a year ago now) nothing whatsoever was available until after departure from Doncaster.

Established Member
No hot food or drinks in First Class at any point on the 1500 King's Cross-Edinburgh on Thursday.

I can't remember the last time I travelled with them and there wasn't something broken or missing from the service. And the fares drift upwards...

dave87016

Established Member
VTEC offer a much better offering on paper in first class than VTWC but in actual fact VTWC you get what is advertised 99% of the time even on breakfast and evening meal services, VTEC first class service imo continues to decline at an alarming rate. Is it going to get better when the azumas come into service ? VTEC say yes from what I have read but I don't really see what a difference new trains make to the same standard of service they should be providing now?

One of the nubs of the issue is that 'on paper' the catering crew diagrams will work in terms of enabling an advertised service on each train (despite the multiple changes of crew en-route described above, which I'm led to believe are more common than pre-April).

However, life doesn't run on paper - and that's where you need someone operationally-savvy to review things and tweak them where needed, rather than solely relying on a computer to provide the most 'efficient solution' - otherwise the service is a hostage to fortune in even fairly minor disruption.

Couple that with the impact of the changes of 6 months ago, and general short-staffing for other reasons, and I rather suspect that explains the repeat shortages and inconsistencies.

Whether it gets better or worse from here, we shall see...

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Short staffed again this morning but someone must have been listening to Butts as there is a slice of toast hiding under the eggs and mushrooms.

They started doing that about twelveish months ago (about the same time that they ditched the potato from the breakfast). It can be a bit hit and miss but I'd say that I've had that about 80% of the time. Shame that they can't be pestered to spend a few extra pennies per breakfast to get an English muffin or something rather than just a piece of toast. Certainly though it does add just a little bit of extra substance to the breakfast which makes it much more satisfying.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ah shame about that, I like a nice potato cake/tattie scone. Not very refined of me I know, but we all have guilty pleasures, don't we.

Chrism20

Established Member
They started doing that about twelveish months ago (about the same time that they ditched the potato from the breakfast). It can be a bit hit and miss but I'd say that I've had that about 80% of the time. Shame that they can't be pestered to spend a few extra pennies per breakfast to get an English muffin or something rather than just a piece of toast. Certainly though it does add just a little bit of extra substance to the breakfast which makes it much more satisfying.

It’s about five or six months since I’ve seen it like that I think.

I’d prefer a muffin or one of those Sheldons barms that Sainsbury’s sell but as they are a Lancashire brand I doubt we will see them on the EC.

I also kinda miss the omelette that we used to get as well, I liked them

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Personally I think all the new trains will do for the service is provide 101 shiny new (bright red) excuses/reasons for not providing it!

Foodbar on this mornings 09:42 EDB KGX diverted via the WCML didnt open til well past Lamington with no STD trolley and I suspect that the foodbar delay was due to doing FC service.

Today I was in cattle complete with pre purchased breaky so no custom from me even if they were open when I wanted them.