• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

roversfan2001

Established Member
That’s a detailed thread, but I’m my opinion it is just full of pessimism - the first class on VTEC is well worth doing, particularly on weekdays.
You've fallen for the Virgin propaganda and you've had one long journey in VTEC First Class. Currently the VTEC first class service is a mess with large numbers of trains having little to no catering. A train that late in the morning may have limited breakfast options.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You've fallen for the Virgin propaganda and you've had one long journey in VTEC First Class. Currently the VTEC first class service is a mess with large numbers of trains having little to no catering. A train that late in the morning may have limited breakfast options.
Excuse me? Says who? What tells you that I’ve only had one long first class journey.

I’ve done three VTEC first class journeys this year - all of an hour or more, as well as other journeys on VT West Coast in First!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Excuse me? Says who? What tells you that I’ve only had one long first class journey.

I’ve done three VTEC first class journeys this year - all of an hour or more, as well as other journeys on VT West Coast in First!
Your trip reports (granted I've not read them all). Either way, whether 1 or 3 it's neither here nor there, there's members on that thread who travel using VTEC regularly and so will see the catering (or lack thereof) more.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Your trip reports (granted I've not read them all). Either way, whether 1 or 3 it's neither here nor there, there's members on that thread who travel using VTEC regularly and so will see the catering (or lack thereof) more.

Firstly, I have done a trip of the railways lasting over three hours at least; every weekend - I’m too lazy to post them all. And please note I said this year. I travelled on the ECML quite regularly last year.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Firstly, I have done a trip of the railways lasting over three hours at least; every weekend - I’m too lazy to post them all. And please note I said this year. I travelled on the ECML quite regularly last year.
That's all well and good, but it's also documented well that the cuts they made that have affected the service took place this year.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Fair enough. Well, it seems the 3 times I travelled this year I got lucky.

Got lucky the numerous times I travelled first class for a short journey with them this year too. They’ve served me items from the 70mins plus list.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Being a child will definitely help, it certainly did for me when I travelled first class a lot. :D Earn happy customers when they're young and hope they continue spending money to travel first class when they're older.

But yes, it does seem you've been lucky to not have been on one VTEC train without catering due to staff shortages etc.

Darandio

Established Member

It really is no wonder people try and pick you up on it. Mentioning this year suggests you travelled First Class with them last year as well, but only a few weeks ago you made your first trip. Apparently anyway.......

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Being a child will definitely help, it certainly did for me when I travelled first class a lot. :D Earn happy customers when they're young and hope they continue spending money to travel first class when they're older.

But yes, it does seem you've been lucky to not have been on one VTEC train without catering due to staff shortages etc.

Being a child will help!!!

Oh no. Oh no way. I suppose you think that just because I’m not a legal adult I will just clap my hands and take anything with a smile. It’s not quite as simple as that - If I don’t get my money’s worth I let the company know it. If I get sandwiches only on a weekday I won’t just leave it at that - I can assure you. VTEC can expect an email immediately!

I’ve just been lucky that I’ve got what I paid for. Im three and a half years short of adult hood - but trust me - I always make sure I don’t miss out on anything!!!

For example, when I phoned up indignantly to XC after all they could offer me was cancer crisps or fruit cake on a weekday - I expect my cream tea or breakfast muffin on a weekday! Call it petty if you like, I’m just not having them take me for a fool.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It really is no wonder people try and pick you up on it. Mentioning this year suggests you travelled First Class with them last year as well, but only a few weeks ago you made your first trip. Apparently anyway.......

What do you mean? :D I said it was my first time with the new interior. Up until January not all 225s had it - I try extra hard not to get the HSTs. I’ve done it three times long distance with the leather now, that was all this year, among other shorter hops.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Being a child will help!!!

Oh no. Oh no way. I suppose you think that just because I’m not a legal adult I will just clap my hands and take anything with a smile. It’s not quite as simple as that - If I don’t get my money’s worth I let the company know it. If I get sandwiches only on a weekday I won’t just leave it at that - I can assure you. VTEC can expect an email immediately!

I’ve just been lucky that I’ve got what I paid for. Im three and a half years short of adult hood - but trust me - I always make sure I don’t miss out on anything!!!

For example, when I phoned up indignantly to XC after all they could offer me was cancer crisps or fruit cake on a weekday - I expect my cream tea or breakfast muffin on a weekday! Call it petty if you like, I’m just not having them take me for a fool.
You've got the wrong end of the stick completely there. I'm not a legal adult either. I was saying that the TOC will give you more than they would give older first class passengers to entice you to continue to travel with them in first class when you do become an adult and therefore pay higher fares. Believe me, I'm northern, I'm tight, I also like to complain when I don't get what I should be getting according to their menu. But all of it is cleverly disguised as complimentary, meaning that you aren't entitled to anything so e-mails may not result in compensation.

Darandio

Established Member
What do you mean? :D I said it was my first time with the new interior. Up until January not all 225s had it - I try extra hard not to get the HSTs. I’ve done it three times long distance with the leather now, that was all this year, among other shorter hops.

I honestly thought it was your first trip given all the fanfare surrounding it. Regardless, dismissing the main thread as merely pessimistic isn't right.

It is of course pessimistic, but with perfectly good reason.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
For example, when I phoned up indignantly to XC after all they could offer me was cancer crisps or fruit cake on a weekday - I expect my cream tea or breakfast muffin on a weekday!

And exactly what was the effect of that? There are a significant number of weekday services where that is all you will ever get - and XC know it.

Chrism20

Established Member

Indeed. I’m currently sitting on my twelfth VTEC service this week and I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly this week.

StrollerEd

OK, been away too long, but now planning a trip up to Edinburgh from Kings Cross this coming Friday.

Three trains take my fancy (with FC fares): 12 Noon (most expensive), 1pm and 1.30pm (the cheapest). Any advice on why not do the cheapest?

I know its a bit slower, but how are the food options?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Still using my steak from the East Coast restaurant for your avatar I see! :D

I can't think of a reason to choose between them the menu should, in theory, be the same on all three. So taking this weeks 'Rest of the Day' menu for example:

Cream cheese & roasted peppers sandwich V
Full fat soft cheese and black pepper with spring onions and roasted peppers in malted brown bread, served with Corkers hand cooked crisps

Chicken masala wrap
Pulled chicken breast in a masala sauce with yoghurt and herb dressing, red pepper, carrot and onion with juicy mango chutney and spinach in a tortilla wrap, served with Corkers hand cooked crisps

Gourmet sausage roll
Yorkshire rare breed sausage roll served hot with golden sultana brown sauce

Moroccan lamb with couscous
Lamb, chickpeas, courgette, red pepper, onions, sweets potatoes, carrots and sultanas in a warm tomato sauce spiced with paprika, cinnamon, ground ginger and cayenne pepper. Served with a fruity couscous and a cooling dollop of plain yoghurt

Courgette & leek risotto V NGCI
Arborio rice slowly simmered and served with courgette, leek and basil, topped with hard cheese shavings

FOLLOWED BY:

Chocolate & hazelnut cake V

or

Fresh fruit (a choice of apple or banana) V NGCI

DRINKS

Andronicas arabica coffee, developed with James Martin, blended in Peterborough, freshly ground (decaffeinated available)

Fairtrade breakfast tea (decaffeinated available)

Speciality Pukka tea – Earl Grey, Three Mint, Matcha Green and Chamomile

Hot chocolate

Orange juice

Apple juice (served with breakfast)

Harrogate Spring still or sparkling water

Tonic or slimline tonic water

Ginger ale

Coca-Cola or Diet Coke

Lemonade

Alcohol (served with our Rest of the Day menu)

Hop On Board ale

Stella Artois lager

Magners cider

Bell's whisky

Beefeater gin

Absolut vodka

Sauvignon Blanc, Parrotfish, South Africa
Aromas of asparagus, cut grass, elderflower and gooseberry

Syrah Rosé, Parrotfish, South Africa
Fresh and fruity with hints of cassis, strawberry and redcurrant

Cabernet/Merlot, Parrotfish, South Africa
Sensuous dark fruit aromas with a touch of chocolate and spice

StrollerEd

Ha! But that steak was so fine and the photo so well done ;)

Thanks for the confirmation that a late lunch would be in order on the 1.30.

Any recommendations from the menu? My other thought was to pop into the new Piebury Corner for a carry-out and go 2nd,
http://www.pieburycorner.com/

But I could also to that as a brunch .. and then ...

leightonbd

Ha! But that steak was so fine and the photo so well done ;)

Thanks for the confirmation that a late lunch would be in order on the 1.30.

Any recommendations from the menu? My other thought was to pop into the new Piebury Corner for a carry-out and go 2nd,
http://www.pieburycorner.com/

But I could also to that as a brunch .. and then ...

Recommendations:
The sausage rolls are now well known. Substantial.
The lamb couscous smells pretty spicy and looks a decent plateful.
I couldn't comment on the risotto.
The sandwiches are a real disappointment.
There will be crisps - real microbags, those - cake, biscuits etc if you want that sort of stuff.

If you can get a fare in FC that you consider good value, I'd take that, but maybe also take a few supplies of your own. Gone are the days when you might get a hot meal and maybe also a crack at some left over sarnies from the platter.

If you're wanting a few wines to wash it down you will get one pretty soon out of KGX but may have to wait what, to me, always feels a bit too long for another - too close to York. Service is frequent enough thereafter.

StrollerEd

Thanks for the info/recommendations. I'll book the 1.30pm which with Railcard comes in at £93 one way, which is not so bad.

Chrism20

Established Member
I almost choked on my masala wrap this afternoon when I heard one of the crew say “An at Seat trolley service is working its way through standard class with a selection of drinks and snacks” over the PA.

It’s that long since I heard those words I was sorely tempted to rise from my seat in L to go and check if it was actually happening.

That aside the service from the Aberdeen crew this morning/lunchtime was excellent. When it’s done properly it works. Aberdeen is obviously properly staffed just now as there was a full complement (4) of crew onboard compared to the normal 2/3 I’ve experienced out of Edinburgh over the last month.

The masala wrap was a bit odd though. One half of it had no chicken and Just salad and a big dollop of masala sauce. Masala salad is actually quite nice.

StrollerEd

Recommendations:
The sausage rolls are now well known. Substantial.
The lamb couscous smells pretty spicy and looks a decent plateful.
I couldn't comment on the risotto.
The sandwiches are a real disappointment.
There will be crisps - real microbags, those - cake, biscuits etc if you want that sort of stuff.

If you can get a fare in FC that you consider good value, I'd take that, but maybe also take a few supplies of your own. Gone are the days when you might get a hot meal and maybe also a crack at some left over sarnies from the platter.

If you're wanting a few wines to wash it down you will get one pretty soon out of KGX but may have to wait what, to me, always feels a bit too long for another - too close to York. Service is frequent enough thereafter.

I ended up getting the 4pm KX to Edinburgh, and as advised I had the sausage roll, having first settled for a cup of tea and a biscuit. 2 glasses of red to accompany the sausage roll which came with an excellent sauce.

Altogether good service.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I almost choked on my masala wrap this afternoon when I heard one of the crew say “An at Seat trolley service is working its way through standard class with a selection of drinks and snacks” over the PA.

It’s that long since I heard those words I was sorely tempted to rise from my seat in L to go and check if it was actually happening.

That aside the service from the Aberdeen crew this morning/lunchtime was excellent. When it’s done properly it works. Aberdeen is obviously properly staffed just now as there was a full complement (4) of crew onboard compared to the normal 2/3 I’ve experienced out of Edinburgh over the last month.

The masala wrap was a bit odd though. One half of it had no chicken and Just salad and a big dollop of masala sauce. Masala salad is actually quite nice.

Well lucky you if you prefer a trolley to the Foodbar (erm, unusual preference, but ok) because you'll get that on the Azumas.

Chrism20

Established Member
Well lucky you if you prefer a trolley to the Foodbar (erm, unusual preference, but ok) because you'll get that on the Azumas.

I’ve always found it helps to read the post and make sure you understand what’s being said before clicking on the reply button

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sigh

I was simply stating how he you will be seeing a lot more trolley services on VTEC because they will become a regular feature of the new trains.

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Journey back from Aberdeen today was uneventful service wise. The service was good but it was pretty quiet with only 14 in First Class. No announcements made regarding Weekend First which I thought was odd.

Sitting in the (not so) quiet coach however I did overhear a few interesting conversations.

There was one person onboard who sat in the carriage for the entire journey to Edinburgh as they were not required. Apparently they have had several stints like that over the last few weeks (at least three this week alone) where control have sent them out and the train manager has told them just to passenger as the full compliment is onboard. I wonder how often this is happening whilst there are services going out with either no crew of half the compliment.

The other interesting conversation was regarding the crew uniforms. To say they are detested are an understatement.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Whoa, fourteen across all of the three coaches?? Wow, I wish when I’ve travelled with VTEC it had been that quiet!

leightonbd

Hake was good (better than it looks) this evening

Ihake G_1688.jpg
I was very fortunate not to be on an earlier (or later) train given the problems around KGX this evening. I think the 1730 ended up with all the food and crew ... the Flying Scotsman this morning was short of crew out of Edinburgh.