• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hake was good (better than it looks) this evening

View attachment 39251
I was very fortunate not to be on an earlier (or later) train given the problems around KGX this evening. I think the 1730 ended up with all the food and crew ... the Flying Scotsman this morning was short of crew out of Edinburgh.
I've had the Hake on VTWC and that was always good, will have to try it on VTEC some time soon to see if it is just as good!
Sam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This may be a stupid idea but what if VTEC offered the weekday style offering 7 days per week and issued a weekend upgrade entitling you to just the seat - or the seat and a drink and small snack only whilst travelling? Then those who had booked a genuine first class ticket could enjoy the full experience!

Chrism20

Established Member
That hake does look rather tasty. I enjoyed the med chicken this afternoon myself, it’s a while since I had it. Normally it’s ran out by the time I get on at Newcastle heading north.

SouthStand

My cousin works as a stewardess (not sure of her correct title) on VTEC, if anyone has any questions regarding food provision I'll ask her.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
On a VTEC train at the moment - northbound, but I won't say which one.

It's really bad. Sitting in a forward facing airline seat and the back of the seat in front is absolutely filthy. The plastic seat back seems to have all manner of stains on it. Coffee, and what I hope are brown and red sauce splatters. It's so easy to fix with a single wipe of a wet cloth.

No menu cards handed out. Service rushed. Since when have cold drinks like OJ been served in a plastic cup on weekdays? (Genuine Q)

No fruit at all on the trolley, contrary to what the menu says.

Why is it so bad?

dave87016

Established Member
Oh dear sounds awful I would certainly be taking pics and sending them to VTEC I'm afraid bad - non existent service is the norm now in First Class on VTEC I only travel FC on them for the HST'S but these days FC on a pendo on VTWC seems a better option

freelander

Oh dear sounds awful I would certainly be taking pics and sending them to VTEC I'm afraid bad - non existent service is the norm now in First Class on VTEC I only travel FC on them for the HST'S but these days FC on a pendo on VTWC seems a better option
Hi all, just checked my train on the VTWC (9.26 to Edinburgh) and it states trolley service, is that through out the train or just standard and what could be offered in first class ???

freelander

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No menu cards handed out. Service rushed. Since when have cold drinks like OJ been served in a plastic cup on weekdays? (Genuine Q)
That's been happening for quite a while now (12 months maybe?). They only seem to use glass for alcoholic drinks.

trainophile

Established Member
Not even a Times on my mid-morning southbound train yesterday. "They didn't put any on at Glasgow" (It was a VTEC service). The free paper is one of the main advantages of paying for 1st.

leightonbd

I had the chance to compare VTEC with the west coast service last week, travelling between Edinburgh and Crewe.

Pendo southbound (0652): didn't find the seat at all comfortable, like it had just been sat in to much and all the softness had gone. Attentive and friendly staff. Got a paper and abundant tea. Full breakfast was very good but what amazed me was the choice of other far more ambitious alternatives - eggs benedict - quite an effort to produce that on a train. Arrived about 10L. FC was not very full at all, I think about 25 people from Edinburgh.

Voyager northbound (1409): much better seating (single seat); offered drinks after Crewe and Preston, so two good sized glasses of white wine, plus (groan) a prepacked sandwich. Perfectly ok and probably a little better than the EC equivalent. We were running late and behind the connecting TPE Edinburgh service but they held the connection at Carlisle.

Wifi was good both ways.

I had been to London with EC on the Monday so it was easy to make the comparison. I think the revelation for me was how uncomfortable the Pendo was. Otherwise I would be keen, if time permitted, to do a whole Ed-Lon run via the west coast. On balance I'd say the WC offering is slightly superior although I didn't get a chance to compare the evening offering. EC northbound with the hot meal is obviously superior to EC southbound and if I was doing the latter I think I would load up in M&S beforehand.

What do others think of the WC offering? I think there was a thread on this but it was quite a long time ago.

Chrism20

Established Member
The eggs on the eggs benedict are bought in pre-poached from what I gather. Same as the ones Upper Crust use on their breakfast muffins by all accounts.

Working between Newcastle and Preston over the last couple of years I’ve plenty of experience on both of them. Other than a greater choice there isn’t much between them at breakfast time. The rest of the day if EC delivers what it says it will it’s got the upper hand.

Edinburgh only has (I’m assuming they haven’t removed dinner from the 1852 anyway) one dinner train and as it’s a voyager it’s all airline style dishes but plated up. They actually aren’t too bad but they are better on the pendolino particularly the cheese and desserts.

dave87016

Established Member
1840 from Glasgow ( pendo ) is a Evening meal service and I travelled on it a couple of weeks ago and do so regularly I have only once in 4 years failed to have a evening meal on it due to it being so late arriving into Glasgow that RG didn't manage to load it

The meals are always nice but small portions and the raspberry trifle is in what looks like a miniature jam jar like you can pick up at supermarkets for around 30p but the trifle tastes nice I wish they would bring back those delicious chocolate pots they were rich and delicious

But as already stated if VTEC deliver what is advertised then there offering is better but in recent months VTWC wins as VTEC is bad - non existent

Apologies for hijacking the thread with this post but I was replying to a post

Last edited:

Established Member
Likewise I appreciate that this isn't a VTEC v VTWC thread but the comparison does illustrate how far things have fallen in the east over the past two years. Three years ago I would've chosen East Coast over Virgin every time, now I feel in far more capable hands in First on the west.

In my experience a First Class service failure on the west coast will nearly always have a specific external cause such as disruption. On the east it's instead not enough crew or a technical fault on the train. It could be an external factor, but you forget about those because there are so many of VTEC's own making.

Thankfully my work travel patterns have shifted quite a bit in the same period and I'm on VTEC a lot less than even a year ago. I'm on enough to know what a gamble it's become however.

Many thanks for all the replies, it’s fascinating to me with very little knowledge but a lot of interest to read the forum.

We are going on the 15th Nov from Leeds on the 10:15 and going first class.

Does anyone know if we will get a full breakfast ?

Again, many thanks to you all.

berneyarms

Established Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm on an evening train out of King's Cross, and we were told on departure to present our tickets at the buffet to claim refreshments. So several of us go to the buffet, only to be sent back as it's not open yet.

Around half an hour later we are told it's open. Anyone wanting complimentary and paid items has to queue twice though. It's chaos as the lengthy queue is in the narrow corridor in the buffet car, and once people have been served they have to squeeze back the way they came.

Then an announcement is made just after Lincoln saying the buffet car will be closing in 10 minutes until departure from Doncaster. But, on reaching the buffet car, we are told the complimentary items are no longer available, and won't be until York.

It would all be far less grating if it wasn't for their boasts about how "awesome" the service is.

And they are still refusing valid Delay Repay claims.

Awful company. Avoid if possible!
..In my experience a First Class service failure on the west coast will nearly always have a specific external cause such as disruption. On the east it's instead not enough crew or a technical fault on the train. ...
True. No disruption on my journey, just short staffed, and no communication between the person making the announcements and the person who is serving the food & drink.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Really? That's just bizarre!
Yes. This is because the free items were dispensed from the hatch, with a queue from the 1st class direction (going back all the way through the quiet coach) while the paid for items were dispensed from the counter, with a queue from the standard direction (going all the way back into coach G). This didn't actually become apparent until someone reached the hatch and asked to purchase an alcoholic drink, the message was then passed on by customers, everyone who was thinking of making a purchase decided not to bother when they realised how long they'd be queuing for.

I know it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but my main gripe is the fact that the company harps on about how awesome they are, when the reality is that the service is poor, their customer relations staff are rude to customers, at least one of their Guards incorrectly charges valid ticketholders, they refuse to pay valid Delay Repay claims, and.... well, I could go on!

It's the Virgin way though!

Established Member
My wife is on the 1830 Edinburgh-King's just now and reports the following:

- no hot food due to staff shortages, again. So just a bag of crisps and clammy sandwich for sustenance at peak dinner time.
- no cards accepted in the buffet due to a faulty machine.
- a flooded luggage rack floor in Coach M. Luckily her case wasn't in the lower section.
- no mention of whether or not there's a trolley in Standard, but I think we can guess.
- the food situation *may* improve after Newcastle apparently.

If she'd known how feeble the food offer was going to be then she would've gone to M&S at Waverley. I've said to her that I would've gone to Marks anyway based on my most recent experiences.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
My wife is on the 1830 Edinburgh-King's just now and reports the following:

- no hot food due to staff shortages, again. So just a bag of crisps and clammy sandwich for sustenance at peak dinner time.
- no cards accepted in the buffet due to a faulty machine.
- a flooded luggage rack floor in Coach M. Luckily her case wasn't in the lower section.
- no mention of whether or not there's a trolley in Standard, but I think we can guess.
- the food situation *may* improve after Newcastle apparently.

If she'd known how feeble the food offer was going to be then she would've gone to M&S at Waverley. I've said to her that I would've gone to Marks anyway based on my most recent experiences.

Well, it's hard to fault M&S' food really, so maybe that would have been a good idea! VTEC should partner them and offer their sandwiches/snacks for the weekend offering. Their products are of the utmost quality.

Why do I get the feeling the first class service will decrease further when the Azumas arrive...?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, it's hard to fault M&S' food really, so maybe that would have been a good idea! VTEC should partner them and offer their sandwiches/snacks for the weekend offering. Their products are of the utmost quality.

Their sandwiches are generally fine, but I do get the feeling you're rather taken in by marketing. M&S wants you to think there are sandwiches and there are M&S sandwiches, but I wouldn't say they're substantially different to those sold by other supermarkets.

What's more you'd likely find that they'd do a licensing agreement and source their own sandwiches, then package with an M&S logo. So not even the same as purchased in a store. A bit like buying a nice expensive car with B&O, Harmon Kardon or whatever audio system, which is made by someone else with the logo slapped on to help sell a car, or sell the option for a much higher price.

takno

Established Member

Why do I get the feeling the first class service will decrease further when the Azumas arrive...?
When BA got rid of the free catering, replacing it with M&S food was the final kick in the teeth. Apart from generally being significantly more expensive, the quality of M&S snack food is pretty dire. Tesco have a better range of better quality stuff, and charge far more reasonable prices.

Not that there's a lot of choice on Waverley Station. You can try and find something from the increasingly awful Boots range, or if you have a few minutes to spare you can head upstairs to the Sainsburys or McDonalds, but otherwise it's a fair hike to anything that isn't Upper Crust.

Chrism20

Established Member
I agree, the vast majority of M&S’s snacking/lunchtime range isn’t that good and there is definitely better out there.

I remember writing to BP to complain when they changed the sandwiches to M&S ones when they started opening franchised Simply Foods as the M&S range was significantly more expensive and the sandwiches are mostly as dry as hell.

Pret is now in Waverley, however I’ve walked out of it twice since it opened and won’t be back in it.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Although M&S do an excellent two scotch eggs for around £1.50.
And their Mince Pies are far and away the very best on the market.

-

What do you think customers would prefer:

1) Removal of the Weekend First upgrade altogether and introducing a full Weekday-style service all week round.
2) Things to stay as they are regarding weekend first and catering.
3) A seat only weekend upgrade and introducing a full Weekday style service all week round.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

-

1) Removal of the Weekend First upgrade altogether and introducing a full Weekday-style service all week round.
3) A seat only weekend upgrade and introducing a full Weekday style service all week round.

I can't speak for customers in general, however I prefer a good value first class ticket and the opportunity to by food at a decent price.

Established Member

-

I don't have an opinion on this since I very rarely travel by train at the weekend, but considering they can't reliably deliver the weekday service on weekdays then the chances of them offering it at weekends I would say is less than nil.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have switched my admittedly limited East Coast Main Line custom almost exclusively to CrossCountry in the last few months

My most regularly used East Coast journey in is now Edinburgh to Aberdeen or vice versa and that is purely to avoid two and a half hours of engine drone from a 170
Before I board the train I visit Boots / Sainsburys / Pret / Burger King and stock up

skyhigh

Established Member
I appear to have hit the jackpot today - full first class service and there's a trolley in standard! (Although the trolley can't take card payments, and hasn't got any change...)