• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Captain Chaos

Have to say that the breakfast looks ok but the rest looks fairly dissapointing. Still want to try it though as it might be better than I think. But going by that I doubt it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Essexman

Established Member
Will they still do things like cottage pie, fish pie and lasagne that you can get from the buffet (standard class) or at seat (first class)?
With now such a limited choice of hot food knowing you could buy these would be a back up to not liking the complimentary offerings.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well that's pretty disappointing, Vegetable Biryani I guess being the hot meal on offer for the all day menu. Not brilliant that.

The breakfast offer is about the same as Virgin's.

The "All Day" sandwiches look nice (I do hope they have more than the two mentioned, though!), and although I am not fond of "vegetable" dishes, they serve a nice sounding crayfish salad - slightly better than Virgin's "Light Bites".

The "smoked salmon with cream cheese" sandwich on afternoon tea services also sounds nice - which covers for the lack of a salad - and they also serve scones - still better than Virgin's "Light Bites".

The "Evening Menu" served on all Southbound and some Northbound services doesn't look very impressive to be honest - Virgin's "Evening Meal" is better.

The "Evening Meal" service served on selected Northbound service is on par with Virgin's (it isn't any better), as long as they have more variety than "sausages and mash!" The only major disappointment is that the cheese platter seems to have been downgraded - the picture doesn't look impressive and the delicious chutney seems to have vanished. I hope they change it to how it was previously!

The weekend service, where savoury croissant and sandwiches are served, is DEFINITELY better than Virgin's. I can compliment them on that for sure!

Overall I would say the offering is good enough compared to Virgin Trains (except Southbound Evening services and the cheese platter). It isn't anything remarkable, but they'd be losing a fortune if they had too much variety like GNER!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree that the majority of the new offering is not as good as At-Seat dining. (You can't compare it to the Restaurant, as most people in it were Standard Class ticket holders!)

However, I haven't noticed First Class fares going up significantly, and you'll save £10-£20 each time you travel on breakfast.

In my opinion regular commuters will be the most pleased with this new offering.

Last edited:

richa2002

Established Member
When travelling on Saturday, the new arrangement was being trialled, the two sandwiches were the only ones being offered with no other variants. This leads me to believe that sausage and mash and the curry will be the only options on the 'evening meal' services. There are only seven-odd of those anyway and they're all northbound out of London in the evening. Also, the hot food such as the fish pie and lasagne were no longer listed at the café bar with the closest thing to a hot meal now being a panini. It seems that this is now basically a 'you get what you're given' system in first class as after all, it's a bit more tricky to complain when it's 'free'...

I wouldn't mind AS much if you could still order sandwiches/paninis from the buffet to be delivered to your seat but it seems that any purchases in first class have now ceased to exist. It's either eat out of some plastic wrapping (with the cheese falling out the bottom of the panini...) or the meagre sandwich triangles on the majority of services.

philjo

Established Member
Some good things, others not so good.

e.g. No smoked salmon/scrambled egg option for breakfast.
when I travelled 1st to Glasgow a couple of weeks ago with at seat dining I think a lot of people (including myself) were ordering that option juding by the number of plates that came past me from the kitchen.
Not everyone wants a full grill for breakfast & the smoked salmon is a lighter option.

The weekend offering is good - much better than Virgin/FGW. Though EC do charge more for weekend 1st then virgin

Could do with a larger sandwich selection on the all day menu. (e.g a fish option such as salmon or tuna). It doesn't spcify which type of chesse is used which always makes me suspect that it is cheddar!

Good to see Green tea on the menu after requesting it for some time (nearly every other train company already serves it)

Disappointing to see for much of the day Biryani is the only hot option. I don't like spicy food so that would not really be an option for me.

I assume the standard class cafe bar menu is being updated as I can't find this on the EC website at the moment.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose one good thing is that all services will now offer a decent breakfast (though not as good as the old one IMHO) as well as offering throughout the day a decent service (and an improved weekend service). But that doesn't make up for the loss of choice that the old at-seat dining offered.

Smoked salmon and scram eggs will be available 1 week in every 4 as the menu will be rotated every week on the wens of each week, greek yog, scram egg and chestnut mushrooms, porridge with sliced banana and dulce de leche, and the salmon will rotate over a 4 week cycle for breakfast.

The all day hot meal will also rotate between the Biryani, beetroot risotto, roasted feta and pepper quiche and red onion and goats cheese tart. The cakes will also rotate.

The evening meal will rotate between the sausage and mash, beef cooked in yorkshire bitter and veg, roast chicken with sherry vinegar, orange and paprika sauce and salmon fillet, pototoes and veg. The deserts will also rotate.

The sandwich fillings will also rotate but they will always be only 2 options

Also just to confirm alcohol will now be served on journeys under 70 mins but for all passengers not wanting anything off the menu they will have to go to the buffet themselves (for now anyway)

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
Well I don't like any of those all day hot meals.
Looks as if I'll be travelling first class less often with East Coast.

I still don't understand why when the target market is business people who can claim reasonable expenses, East Coast think it is better to offer an inferior but free food service.

richa2002

Established Member
Thanks for the information there 'YorkshireRider'.

All those evening mains actually sound pretty good though I wish they were available on more services as when I travel, it's north in the morning and south in the evening which means I'll be stuck with the all day hot meal, none of which unfortunately take my fancy apart from possibly the feta and pepper quiche though it's hard to see a bit of quiche as a meal!

I'm also confused as to why East Coast seem to have withdrawn any easy option for a first class passenger to give them more money, through ordering something from the café bar to be delivered to your seat, if what's on offer complimentary wise doesn't take your fancy.

Last edited:

silentone

What a lame picture! There's no sense of speed created by that image.

Now it was merely a shot of a train they did up for another shoot, that would be fine, but it isn't!

How much would it have cost to have got a decent artist/designer to put that on a train actually moving through the country side to give the impression of speed?

It is a promo shot, I don't believe that actually is the train. The actual set, from the images I've seen are that both ends are purple with 'FLYING SCOTSMAN' sprawled along the side and they've created some whole 'brand' in purple with a Scottish Thistle, there are posters around the route. The flames seem to be a mere promo shot.

It did pass me today but I was too busy but certainly one end was purple.

I'm also sure that train is the only one which has been painted grey which might explain why it was painted grey.

Menu changes every Wednesday, the first menu seems fairly basic but there is smoked salmon and things to come. The first menu might be around for a few weeks while the suppliers and staff get to grips with everything.

See here http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Extra-speedy-services-from-newlook.6772647.jp

Last edited:

bengolding

Not a good start to the new timetable with signalling problems south of Edinburgh earlier causing severe delays and cancellations.

I'm planning on getting the 05:40 from Edinburgh this week. The only ticket that was available on this service was the First Anytime single, so the service must be proving popular in First, or EC may have given out lots of complimentary tickets to promote the service.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It is a promo shot, I don't believe that actually is the train.

I merely meant they could have made the photo a bit more interesting and give the impression of speed, which is the message they're trying to convey.

To be honest, I think most of the pictures are rather dull and uninspiring.

However, I'm not knocking the service itself, the timetable changes or the plans for the future. But, if anyone thinks that cutting money on marketing is a good thing for the tax payer, these photos and the launch in general, suggests East Coast might have been better off spending a little more.

Only my opinion though!

Skimble19

Established Member
They're fairly classy looking, and tbh good enough for the job.. A lot of stuff such as this is actually done in-house, such as the East Coast branding itself. Besides, if it was contracted out to some fancy design company there would no doubt be "outrage" at them wasting money.. ;)
I'm also sure that train is the only one which has been painted grey which might explain why it was painted grey.
Sadly I believe there's definitely a fair few out in grey now, either that or I'm being stalked! :lol: Then again, in one of the videos on the site it's fairly clear the 91 is in the grey whilst the coaches are in silver :roll:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Smoked salmon and scram eggs will be available 1 week in every 4 as the menu will be rotated every week on the wens of each week, greek yog, scram egg and chestnut mushrooms, porridge with sliced banana and dulce de leche, and the salmon will rotate over a 4 week cycle for breakfast.

The all day hot meal will also rotate between the Biryani, beetroot risotto, roasted feta and pepper quiche and red onion and goats cheese tart. The cakes will also rotate.

The evening meal will rotate between the sausage and mash, beef cooked in yorkshire bitter and veg, roast chicken with sherry vinegar, orange and paprika sauce and salmon fillet, pototoes and veg. The deserts will also rotate.

The sandwich fillings will also rotate but they will always be only 2 options

Also just to confirm alcohol will now be served on journeys under 70 mins but for all passengers not wanting anything off the menu they will have to go to the buffet themselves (for now anyway)

It would be nice if East Coast could put the dates that each selection of food will be available, just like they did with the restaurant.

For example, I don't want to travel is "Biryani" is the only thing available, but I would happily eat a "red onion and goats cheese tart."

I also don't want "sausage and mash" in the evening - the beef or chicken sounds better!

Virgin do exactly the same as East Coast for sandwiches - they have 2 sandwiches available at any time (one of which is always nice) which rotate on a weekly cycle.

I don't understand why East Coast have not made smoked salmon & scrambled eggs a permanent fixture for breakfast. Whenever I travel with Virgin it is extremely popular. Not all of us like greasy British foods!

To be honest this "Biryani" doesn't sound very popular either, and I for one do not like Indian food. If customer feedback is poor I imagine that East Coast will change this option. And they really should bring back the NICE cheese platter! (Perhaps they can get some cheeses from "La Fromagerie" off Marylebone High Street ;).)

jon0844

Veteran Member
... if it was contracted out to some fancy design company there would no doubt be "outrage" at them wasting money.. ;)

I know, and this is what I was getting at. Marketing can be a very important investment, but I am sure EC set a very limited budget to ensure that they limited the criticism.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i'm sure that feedback on everything will play a major part in refining the offer. That and how stock levels of certain items are at the end of a few days. i'll bet the staff are a little shattered after the introduction. Incidentally, have a friend who had breakfast going south today who has just emailed saying hes impressed

Dine and Go

First try of the weekend service yesterday and my initial impression is the old way was better.

The sandwiches were nice but no comparison to the hot food available in the past (I used to try and travel on services with at-seat dining).

I think having to queue at the buffet is a significant downgrade. I had to stand in a queue for 15 minutes just to get some beer. So previously I had beer and burger served at my seat now it's sandwiches and joining the queue for the buffet.

The way the buffet is designed makes it a pain to join if you're approaching from first class and there's a queue.

googolplex

I was holding off my judgement until I'd seen the sample first class menu to see what the all day offering entailed.
But I must say I'm disappointed to see the lack of decent hot food provision southbound in the evenings, as the service I travel on most frequently is the 14:55 Aberdeen to King's Cross, joining at Dundee at 16:04.
At that time it's a bit too early to grab anything for dinner, so I'd usually have a burger or something else from the at seat dining menu, now I'm not sure what I'll do for food, as the train doesn't arrive in Stevenage until nearly 10pm, which is then too late to eat.
I only make the journey every few months, but if people are travelling southbound for 6+ hours through meal times, surely it would make sense to offer the evening meal service on some of the southbound trains as well.

silentone

The menu's may be published at a later date but not until everything is ironed out.

The service from Aberdeen above, is doing an Evening Offer which I'm sure is the Biryani and the Crayfish & Noodle salad.

The issue of purchasing items in First has been raised and there are various arguments from all corners.

On one side, you have to focus on providing the core First Class service over any paid sales to ensure all passengers receive the new service. If you start selling items in First the service slows down and becomes the same as the old.

Crews were told they can sell items in First if they feel comfortable to do so and feel they have the time to do so.

And as always the Union has apparently said not to sell items in First until the company give every train extra staff to do so, and by doing so now we are proving we don't need extra staff.

I say that's nonsense and I have been selling alcohol in First. Firstly it's easier than having people wandering up and down the aisle while you are delivering the new service. I haven't, and don't intend to sell Panini's etc in First Class at the Weekend, I know people would buy them if offered but this really slows things down and would take focus off the new service.

So far only 1 person has asked me about hot meals, and he was less than impressed when I explained the new offer. I think this Weekend change is only going to be a problem to the Weekend Travellers who think they can click their fingers and staff will come running. Those travellers also seem incapable of getting out their seat to make their way to the bar. In this instance the gentleman was sat in Coach J.

Everyone else has been fairly impressed.

Im unimpressed with the morning weekend offer to customers, an option to buy a bacon sandwich or a pannini served on a plate should be available before 11, and an option to buy alchohol after 11 served in a proper glass. As far as im aware there are 2 people working first class on all weekend services so this can be done. Most people will just take the free stuff so i doubt we would be overrun with orders but the option should be there. Dine and gos experience of waiting at the buffet for 15 mins is not good and not a first class service, dont forget the upgrade is 20/25 quid, much more than other tocs

jon0844

Veteran Member
Some will say that for £20/£25 you shouldn't expect much, but it's a nice earner for the TOC - presumably getting the whole amount for itself. And, for what, providing what costs next-to-nothing in terms of food and drink?

If EC took £25 from me and gave me even £10's worth of food and drink (and that would be quite a lot), it has still made a cool £15 it wouldn't have had - and until FC is full at weekends, that's got to be worth promoting.

In fact, when I came back from Leeds, FC was barely used at all - suggesting EC might actually want to consider offering cheaper upgrades on some services/routes.

How many people may even travel with EC purely with the intention of getting a cheap FC upgrade with some nice benefits? I'd certainly consider travelling on a Saturday morning to get an upgrade, than starting on a Friday night for example.

EC (and others) can then really push the upgrades as I noticed NXEA did on the MK3s when they were running extra services for V Festival. They actually invited people to upgrade via the PA system on the train. Does EC make a big deal of weekend first? I've never heard it being promoted by the TM - but I don't travel enough for that to really mean anything!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think this Weekend change is only going to be a problem to the Weekend Travellers who think they can click their fingers and staff will come running. Those travellers also seem incapable of getting out their seat to make their way to the bar. In this instance the gentleman was sat in Coach J.

If I had paid the extra for first class (often significant on East Coast), and an at-seat service was advertised, I would be a tad irritated if I had to go to the buffet to be honest. Probably not so much the getting up (I'm not completly bone idle), more the queuing. I am not a businessperson so when I travel First it's often on long journeys when I want to relax, so I would prefer not to have to stand in a queue for ages.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Travelling at weekends?
Suppose your weekend travel was Newcastle - London & back on Saturday.
If I had paid the extra for first class (often significant on East Coast), and an at-seat service was advertised, I would be a tad irritated if I had to go to the buffet to be honest.
If you wanted flexible tickets, the cheapest 1st Class would be £255 in contrast to the cheapest Standard Class at £110.
So your "paid the extra for first class" would be £145.
(Unless you just bought a Standard and knew to ask for the 'weekend upgrade' offer.)

How's that for your "having to go to the buffet" and silentone's "Weekend Travellers who think they can click their fingers and staff will come running. Those travellers also seem incapable of getting out their seat to make their way to the bar"?

silentone

I do believe the new First Class service is being advertised as a new Complimentary Offer. Menu's on the table only show the available complimentary items, and I do kind of agree that if someone wishes something not on that menu then they should goto the Cafe Bar.

Personally I will continue to offer saleable alcohol at Weekends in First, my experience so far is that is something there is demand for. The only other item requested was Kit Kat's and so I might have my arm twisted to carry some of them.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Weekends may well be the busiest time for booze, with people upgrading to cane the freebies.

Business users may well have to go easy, as they're on their way to a meeting, or on the way back and driving home from the station.

This might be a rather simplistic assumption, but I think it's plausible.

amcluesent

First experience post "trial" today, must say the food offering was a wee bit variable.

South out of PBO this morning, coffee and a muffin from a basket was offered. No fruit juice or bottle of water (to be saved for the Tube) from a trolley, have they gone for good? Several peeps trying to order their 'usual' bacon sarnie told it wasn't going to happen.

Northbound this evening on an HST, which seemed to complicate the logistics a great deal. (NB big photo op on KGX platform for Harrogate service). I was in 'L' and it was 30 mins into journey before drinks/sandwich trolleys came through. However, no asking about destination and 4(!) sandwiches on plate.

The complementaries in the KGX lounge have been refreshed (I popped in for water...), fruit bowl is back, plus some quite nice cheese twists and more muffins so marks awarded there.

Just as an aside, have the EC staff been given a pep-talk on being nice to customers. All the EC staff today seemed to be on 'best behaviour'.

Last edited: