• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast franchise to end 24 June 2018 and is temporarily re-nationalised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
LNER now on display and being announced at Kings Cross

Attachments

• B5685864-F3F8-4086-8463-A0A6BFB7FD1B.jpeg
    B5685864-F3F8-4086-8463-A0A6BFB7FD1B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 229

dorsetdesiro

Blimey, they moved quickly didn't they! I thought LNER wasn't supposed to start until this Sunday? Things must be bad enough at VTEC for LNER to start their franchise two days early.

As for the announcements, I guess it's like GWR & SWR which you see the company's name only by the acronyms and hear the full name announced.

SaveECRewards

Blimey, they moved quickly didn't they! I thought LNER wasn't supposed to start until this Sunday? Things must be bad enough at VTEC for LNER to start their franchise two days early.

As for the announcements, I guess it's like GWR & SWR which you see the company's name only by the acronyms and hear the full name announced.

The LNER website (which is now the VTEC one rebranded) says LNER begins on Sunday, so it's still officially VTEC today (i.e. East Coast Main Line Company Ltd) but they're using the brand early.

SteveP29

So today presumably we have East Coast Main Line Company Limited operating services as LNER, until London North Eastern Railway Limited takes over operating services as LNER.

I booked a ticket just now and on my Amex it showed up as East Coast Mainline - when VTEC took over the running of East Coast they never updated their name on Amex (but did on Visa/Mastercard) as LNER is a separate company then the name that appears on the card account should change as they'll have a different merchant account to ECMLC

The company Mastercards in use by my employer still say East Coast Mainline on our statements

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The site hangs off of a Central Booking Engine as do the TVMs and DORIS. Several sub systems feed into the CBE and these all need updating (there was a small CBE update as well last night). Everything needs to be logged out, updated logged back in and tested. We've done half a dozen or so of these updates now and have got it down to about 3-4 hours start to finish. There were extra stages last night that made it a longer process, emails and URLs changed so it was a longer night.

Just seen this at Edinburgh Waverley.

LNER on the departure boards as well.

First Class lounge still has Virgin signs but LNER information boards inside.

I wonder if they will share with Virgin West Coast?
1E02D8CC-07A3-4D08-9DF0-9EC46E3EA0F4.jpeg

cuccir

Established Member
There was all singing, all dancing LNER branding going on today at Newcastle.

I got an LNER jute bag including a somewhat odd range of goodies from LNER branded rock through to 'we need get rid of these' Virgin Trains swim caps. But it did at least contain a 30% off voucher for the LNER website.IMG_20180622_153945797.jpg

westv

Established Member
Reservation shambles on The Executive this evening. Down a coach but no rhyme or reason as to how the reservations have been redone.

greyman42

Established Member
See what they did to Newcastle in post #1998, and Durham back in post #2046. Agree it’s all pretty stupid.
This is a bit of a disaster. Nobody understands what they are trying to advertise. Who would sign this sort of amateurish advertising off?

jon0844

Veteran Member
If only the railway in all the time it has existed had come up with 3 letter codes for the stations, all this could have been avoided!

Thing is, using the right codes or not, the idea of just inserting 'random' characters doesn't make sense. It will never read properly, and the DUR one seems particularly silly as it almost looks insulting. Even if only a handful of people took it that way, anyone half decent in marketing would know not to even risk that - especially with social media ensuring those few will make a big deal of it.

You could counter that by saying 'all publicity is good publicity' but I am not sure that was the intention. It was just someone thinking they were clever without perhaps having it it run by others who could be critical of it, and do the obvious **** taking before the general public did! Like when choosing a name for a baby.

westv

Established Member
Well I'll disagree. I think the letter changes make perfect sense.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Thanks for the explanation above. Somebody in LNER has lost his / her marbles. Doesn't bode well does it?

Andyh82

Established Member
There is going to be new timetable booklets then. I don’t think they always do that when there is a change outside of a timetable change date.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope they fix the white space around their Twitter logo, doesn’t look too good.

Attachments

• 63BC8EAF-1400-4A65-9472-75815DCC81EA.png
    63BC8EAF-1400-4A65-9472-75815DCC81EA.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 165

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They’ve even got a LGLCR poster up at Glasgow Central, even though only one train a day goes there!!!

On the positive side at least they’ve used the correct 3 letter code.

Attachments

• AB759725-BE31-4E03-87C0-CAC5CEFFE524.jpeg
    AB759725-BE31-4E03-87C0-CAC5CEFFE524.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 123

Gadget88

Virgin branding was better.

Would never happen if Cameron was still PM. May has made a right mess including Brexit but that’s another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.