• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast franchise to end 24 June 2018 and is temporarily re-nationalised

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveECRewards

I'd imagine a lot of them were also inherited from East Coast as well?

I think only Tim Hedley-Jones (major projects director) has been there beyond the franchise term, he's been there since the GNER days.

I hope that doesnt include the team that made the failed bid

The bid team were mostly 'overpaid consultants' to use a term one of these directors said to me. Those that made the executive team weren't part of the bid team.

The new menu has been shared with staff today, but for once I'll let it be a surprise, although I will say that James Martin will still be there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Yes, like the complete failure to add up and run a railway on a day to day basis.

Their branding (which I always found infantilising and affected and about as cool as Jeremy Clarkson's stonewash denim) and willingness to use Twitter pales into insignificance.

Absolutely agree. Virgin's corporate culture, branding and marketing is incredibly irritating and always sets my teeth on edge. It's like it's all run by twelve year olds. The ultimate example of it is the talking toilets on the Pendolinos - not funny even once, let alone multiple times on long journeys on a regular basis. It's all YAAAAY LOOK AT HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING!!!!! and I agree, it's no substitute for getting the basics right.

Last year I was really looking forward to some decent food in first class between London and Edinburgh after a long and busy few days, and all I got was one sandwich on a four and half hour journey - no hot food available at all. The toilet door failed to lock properly and I was humiliated by someone opening it on me (this was a manual door, not one of the accessible ones). When I complained it took ages for them to answer and their response was extremely stingy and mean-spirited, like all the red paint and cheesy marketing made up for a failure to deliver the stuff I'd paid for.

Won't miss them at all.

pt_mad

Established Member
Absolutely agree. Virgin's corporate culture, branding and marketing is incredibly irritating and always sets my teeth on edge. It's like it's all run by twelve year olds. The ultimate example of it is the talking toilets on the Pendolinos - not funny even once, let alone multiple times on long journeys on a regular basis. It's all YAAAAY LOOK AT HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING!!!!! and I agree, it's no substitute for getting the basics right.

Last year I was really looking forward to some decent food in first class between London and Edinburgh after a long and busy few days, and all I got was one sandwich on a four and half hour journey - no hot food available at all. The toilet door failed to lock properly and I was humiliated by someone opening it on me (this was a manual door, not one of the accessible ones). When I complained it took ages for them to answer and their response was extremely stingy and mean-spirited, like all the red paint and cheesy marketing made up for a failure to deliver the stuff I'd paid for.

Won't miss them at all.

And on their West Coast Pendolinos, they now like to display 'Its Friday!! : - )' on the door displays on a Friday. We know it's Friday some people including your staff work shifts or evenings or work weekends!

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I still wait to hear that SaveECRewards has been drafted in by LNER to help run things. It makes sense. :D

All retail channels are going offline tonight as follows:

TVMs: 21:00 – 07:00

DORIS: 22:00 – 06:00

FRT: 22:00 – 06:00

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Anyone aware of any problems
(EDIT: recently but NOT tonight!)
with collection of tickets? My local (ScotRail) station couldn't find the tickets (VEC + connections Advance) for a journey on the 26th June on the system yesterday (18th June).

They had the confimation email (sent 16/6/18) in front of them and were unable to say what the problem might be. Sorry if this has been covered in a previous post upthread.

(Edited to reference the post above.)

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I put in a delay repay via the website today. I trust this won't fall down the crack of the web switchover.

Tom B

Established Member
Anyone aware of any problems
(EDIT: recently but NOT tonight!)
with collection of tickets? My local (ScotRail) station couldn't find the tickets (VEC + connections Advance) for a journey on the 26th June on the system yesterday (18th June).

They had the confimation email (sent 16/6/18) in front of them and were unable to say what the problem might be. Sorry if this has been covered in a previous post upthread.

(Edited to reference the post above.)

Yesterday I was unable to retrieve tickets at a machine at King's Cross. It was necessary to queue for the one, very fed up looking, booking assistant, who retrieved them from his system.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Ironically I managed to print them off tonight on the station TVM a few minutes ago and just before the TVM deadline.
Still don’t know what the problem was yesterday.

Amusing contradiction on the TOC printed on the ticket:
538A5389-8DD8-4180-90D7-8BF92668C304.jpeg

GrimShady

Established Member
I for one will be glad to see them go. There's nothing worse than Virgins cringe worthy marketing. They have totally ruined all the good work East Coast managed to achieve.

Good riddance VTEC!

66Yorks

I just hope LNER bin all the annoying banners/posters that state when the 'Azumas' are arriving.

I for one will be glad to see them go. There's nothing worse than Virgins cringe worthy marketing. They have totally ruined all the good work East Coast managed to achieve.

Good riddance VTEC!

I can confirm that the booking confirmation will no longer say 'Wayhey you're all booked' and will now say 'You're booked and ready to go'.

lincolnshire

Looks like they have run out of new LNER stickers when they got as far as Doncaster so the Virgin stuck on ones have had the Stanley knife treatment, in other words they have cut the bottom off with the words Virgin and we are now back to East Coast.

Wish they would get rid of them stupid red adverts all over stations and put them in the re-cycling bin. Its to be hoped that LNER don,t adopt the same ideas.

LNER should try and be a professional outfit and not one of silly adverts etc. I do think it may be the time that the Virgin brand goes all together from the railway network and give someone else the chance to bring some new ideas to the West Coast in the next franchise for that route.

Journeyman

Established Member
I can confirm that the booking confirmation will no longer say 'Wayhey you're all booked' and will now say 'You're booked and ready to go'.

What a relief. Honestly, I wince every time I have to deal with Virgin. Here's hoping West Coast goes over to a proper grown-up company eventually.

TUC

Established Member

No substitute for getting the basics right, but they are fun. My wife, who is no rail enthusiast, found them attractive. Her view was that it showed the company was run by human beings with a sense of humour. In marketing terms that has to be a good thing.

Clip

Established Member
No substitute for getting the basics right, but they are fun. My wife, who is no rail enthusiast, found them attractive. Her view was that it showed the company was run by human beings with a sense of humour. In marketing terms that has to be a good thing.
Yeah a lot of people do like their approach rather than a stuffy corporate one which seema to be what some people want unless it comes to liveries then its all systems go go go

Last edited by a moderator:

Journeyman

Established Member

Some people might consider them "fun", but I find them absolutely excruciating and highly annoying - and I think I'm in the majority. I won't miss all that nonsense at all. I don't want wacky, zany humour. I want a comfortable, peaceful journey with the stuff I've paid for properly supplied.

DenmarkRail

Looks like they have run out of new LNER stickers when they got as far as Doncaster so the Virgin stuck on ones have had the Stanley knife treatment, in other words they have cut the bottom off with the words Virgin and we are now back to East Coast.

Wish they would get rid of them stupid red adverts all over stations and put them in the re-cycling bin. Its to be hoped that LNER don,t adopt the same ideas.

LNER should try and be a professional outfit and not one of silly adverts etc. I do think it may be the time that the Virgin brand goes all together from the railway network and give someone else the chance to bring some new ideas to the West Coast in the next franchise for that route.

The annojnt of good that VTWC has done trumps the east coast work... West coast is one of the most aspired to networks in Europe. I hear people in Denmark talk about how amazing English Railway is with “Virgin Trains”

A0wen

On Moderation
Some people might consider them "fun", but I find them absolutely excruciating and highly annoying - and I think I'm in the majority. I won't miss all that nonsense at all. I don't want wacky, zany humour. I want a comfortable, peaceful journey with the stuff I've paid for properly supplied.

I think you're not in the majority.

Virgin have a brand awareness that many brands would actually kill to achieve. You may not like them, that's your prerogative, but the reality is that as a brand Virgin is incredibly popular.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Well I'm sure you know the alternatives for WCP are First/Trenitalia and MTR/Guangshen, so their branding is highly unpredictable.
Brands have a value, as customers of Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks will find when they are rebranded Virgin Money.
I note none of this "silly" Virgin-hate applies to their West Coast operation.
Maybe you wouldn't fly Virgin Atlantic or own a Virgin phone (which also have "awesome" in their PR).

Journeyman

Established Member
Maybe you wouldn't fly Virgin Atlantic or own a Virgin phone (which also have "awesome" in their PR).

Yup. West Coast are awful too - the talking toilets are utterly ridiculous. And no, I don't fly with them, and I don't own a phone with them either. Their marketing and comms are so annoying that I will go to great lengths to avoid them.

Mollman

Established Member
Well I'm sure you know the alternatives for WCP are First/Trenitalia and MTR/Guangshen, so their branding is highly unpredictable.
Brands have a value, as customers of Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks will find when they are rebranded Virgin Money.

I just about managed to tune out the silly West Coast stuff but now with the talking toilets and the extra long platform announcements which advertise Beam its got stupid again.

Bantamzen

Established Member

What the general public & enthusiasts respond to are two very different things. The latter generally want a formal, more traditional image whereas a wider audience will respond to a more informal image. Its all just about marketing for the widest audience, which changes constantly from generation to generation. Whilst personally I'm not one to necessarily chose a Virgin brand over another based purely on marketing, at the same time it would not put me off still using VTWC, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin media etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.