• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism20

Established Member
As long as he doesn't flash his bits under the kilt like he did for 'Little Red' look what happened to that!

Thanks for that, you have just put me off my sausage barm!

I had forgotten all about that one tbh. Jist goes to show though that he's got balls :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Heaven forbid that anyone should show an interest in the changes on Britain's railways, especially on a forum catering for railway interests. :roll:;)

Nothing wrong with discussing change. Change can be good. However, I would prefer the discussion to be less about the fripperies ;)

Clip

Established Member
Nothing wrong with discussing change. Change can be good. However, I would prefer the discussion to be less about the fripperies ;)

Maybe so but there is already a thread about all those things, this poor lad was only wanting to know if there was going to be some sort of 'open day' on the new franchise.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed and personally speaking I fall firmly into the camp that liveries are indeed 'fripperies' and can we instead focus on the substance of changes like this. However I like to think that RailUK is a broad church with room for all so whilst I may not see the point in discussing the finer point of seat moquettes I accept that for others it is interesting.

Perhaps what I'm trying to say can be summed up as can't we all just get along and ignore the parts of discussions that strike us as pointless?

;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
As the change in livery is generally the most obvious, and immediate, superficial difference when a rail franchise changes hands it is quite understandable that this feature garners a level of interest that might seem disproportionate to some. It is certainly something that interests me on a historical level. Not all take an interest in the politicial machinations and minutiae that have governed the franchise change “behind the scenes”.

Certainly, recalling the launches of the original Virgin West Coast and Crosscountry franchises has reminded me of how exciting it was as a young ‘spotter back in 1997 to see the new splashes of colour and the new loco names that the franchises brought with them.

Worth noting that this thread wasn't originally about the livery, either, but the prospect of any sort of launch event.

Last edited:

Joshrowlands

Maybe so but there is already a thread about all those things, this poor lad was only wanting to know if there was going to be some sort of 'open day' on the new franchise.
Thank you haha! I know there's threads about everything and anything on this site and that's why I love it, I didn't ask for people's opinion about Virgin/Stagecoach or Richard brandston I know he loves and rely' son PR for his businesses but all's I wanted to know was if there is going to be a launch event as it would be something nice and interesting for me to attend especially as if I did go it would be my first time ever in London

This thread has gone way off topic

Murph

Thank you haha! I know there's threads about everything and anything on this site and that's why I love it, I didn't ask for people's opinion about Virgin/Stagecoach or Richard brandston I know he loves and rely' son PR for his businesses but all's I wanted to know was if there is going to be a launch event as it would be something nice and interesting for me to attend especially as if I did go it would be my first time ever in London

Seriously, give either Virgin EC or Virgin Group PR a call. If you're extremely lucky, and get their attention in the right way, you could end up with a VIP invite or something. Get even more lucky, and you could maybe get to meet SRB. Young lad, first time in London, it's got some good PR elements to it… Even if you don't pull something like that off, I'm sure they will be delighted to let you know when they plan to do something, and/or maybe send you a goody bag or something.

Edit: A tip for when talking to them and asking if SRB will be there, the correct etiquette is to refer to him as "Sir Richard", I believe.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I am hoping that when Stagecoach/Virgin takeover The First Class Lounges will be improved - ie not "Tightwad East Coast Tea and Biscuits" but the "works" as per current Virgin facilities...

Crisps, Croissants, Sweets. etc :p

I wonder if there will be cross fertilization of Lounge Access - ie at Edinburgh will Virgin Tickets be allowed in and The New East Coast at Glasgow. :idea:

Joshrowlands

Seriously, give either Virgin EC or Virgin Group PR a call. If you're extremely lucky, and get their attention in the right way, you could end up with a VIP invite or something. Get even more lucky, and you could maybe get to meet SRB. Young lad, first time in London, it's got some good PR elements to it… Even if you don't pull something like that off, I'm sure they will be delighted to let you know when they plan to do something, and/or maybe send you a goody bag or something.

Edit: A tip for when talking to them and asking if SRB will be there, the correct etiquette is to refer to him as "Sir Richard", I believe.
I contacted them and explained how I'm a young enthusiast and how this would be my first time in London, I also worded it very well and mentioned Sir Richard lol.

They emailed back asking for my postal address in order for them to send me a response, is this a good sign? Surely it was just a simple yes or no email response, them sending me a letter seems like a good sign?

Murph

I contacted them and explained how I'm a young enthusiast and how this would be my first time in London, I also worded it very well and mentioned Sir Richard lol.

They emailed back asking for my postal address in order for them to send me a response, is this a good sign? Surely it was just a simple yes or no email response, them sending me a letter seems like a good sign?

Yeah, it's a positive sign, I think. The result could still be anything, just an official invite, VIP invite, chance to meet SRB, or just a goody bag. Wanting your postal address suggests to me that either they don't yet know what is happening, or want to send you something with positive PR value. Seems like you probably did get their attention in a positive way, so now just need to wait and see what happens.

Best of luck!

Joshrowlands

They're going to send you a Penalty Charge Notice for wasting their time I reckon...
This time a few months back when I first took an interest in rail I would of believed you, nice try though :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They'll probably send you a £20 RTV ;)
What's an RTV?
Yeah, it's a positive sign, I think. The result could still be anything, just an official invite, VIP invite, chance to meet SRB, or just a goody bag. Wanting your postal address suggests to me that either they don't yet know what is happening, or want to send you something with positive PR value. Seems like you probably did get their attention in a positive way, so now just need to wait and see what happens.

Best of luck!
this is really exciting, not getting my hopes up though I've applied for 6 jobs with Virgin trains since November and they've never got back to me lol

Darandio

Established Member
this is really exciting, not getting my hopes up though I've applied for 6 jobs with Virgin trains since November and they've never got back to me lol

It might be worth noting that on rejection, some rail companies will not allow you to re-apply for a position within their company for 6 months. Sometimes this is restricted to a specific position, sometimes it's a blanket restriction on all positions.

Joshrowlands

It might be worth noting that on rejection, some rail companies will not allow you to re-apply for a position within their company for 6 months. Sometimes this is restricted to a specific position, sometimes it's a blanket restriction on all positions.
Yeah some companies do this I think London midland do, but I'm almost sure Virgin don't I got rejected from 2 and got placed through to the next stage for one recently but there wasn't enough spaces at the roadshow careers event they had so they said my application would stay on file for the next one, I just hope I get to work on the railway soon I'd feel a sense of accomplishment for just reaching something I set my eyes on, oh we'll always got this letter from Virgin to look forward to lol
They'll probably send you a £20 RTV ;)

Still nobodys explained to me what a rtv is?

lev441

Yeah some companies do this I think London midland do, but I'm almost sure Virgin don't I got rejected from 2 and got placed through to the next stage for one recently but there wasn't enough spaces at the roadshow careers event they had so they said my application would stay on file for the next one, I just hope I get to work on the railway soon I'd feel a sense of accomplishment for just reaching something I set my eyes on, oh we'll always got this letter from Virgin to look forward to lol

Still nobodys explained to me what a rtv is?

RTV = Rail travel voucher - what you normally get when you claim for compensation by the TOCs customer service departments.

Joshrowlands

Why did that guy say they wanted my address to send me a RTV then? I don't need compensation haha I haven't even been on a train since before Christmas I'm making an enquire about something simple

Temple Meads

Established Member
Why did that guy say they wanted my address to send me a RTV then? I don't need compensation haha I haven't even been on a train since before Christmas I'm making an enquire about something simple

Virgin have a tendency to just send a £20 RTV out in response to pretty much everything! :lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
Well, fobbing the customer off with RTVs is quicker than investigating customers' complaints in detail...

Joshrowlands

Well, fobbing the customer off with RTVs is quicker than investigating customers' complaints in detail...
Yeah but if a customer is just complaining about something but they don't want a RTV but Virgin give them one then they must be losing so much money?

My email wasn't even a complaint it was just a general enquire about something so if they send me a RTV I'll be both happy because I get £20 off my next journey but that would of mean they won't be answering my question and fobbing me off lol

Agent_c

Well, if we presume staff cost is £10 per hour and that the cost to virgin of a £20 RTV is £20 (which I doubt), if a full investigation took any more than 2 hours, then its cost effective too...

Joshrowlands

Well, if we presume staff cost is £10 per hour and that the cost to virgin of a £20 RTV is £20 (which I doubt), if a full investigation took any more than 2 hours, then its cost effective too...
True but staff wages aren't £10 an hour they're £8 at the most and then Virgin/Stagecoach should employ a team who's sole job is to deal with customer wuiries and decide weather they need a repose, what response or compensation and what type of compensation they need. Either way it's rediculious handing out free £20 RTV's just to save a bit of time and effort

The last 3 times I've travelled with Virgin I've brought my tickets and not one member of staff came to check them in standard class or even walked through, I'm not sure about first but three times in a row I spent over £30 on a return and not even one member of staff? There was people on there who obviously knew certian times trains don't get checked and probably didn't have a ticket I wish I'd of companied now but I thought back then that I'd never be able to challenge a big company and they wouldn't believe me..

Chrism20

Established Member
Yeah but if a customer is just complaining about something but they don't want a RTV but Virgin give them one then they must be losing so much money?

If the RTV is booked for a Virgin Train and also booked at a Virgin Travel Centre it theoretically costs them nothing. Plus if you buy a ticket that is greater in value they are getting cash from you.

As others have said it is sometimes easier just to send the RTV than investigate something fully then write to the customer and tell them what they experienced was actually the norm and they are entitled to nothing thus creating a bad impression and they tell their friends etc. It sounds pretty screwed up but sadly this is how business works these days.

Hopefully you find yourself with a nice invite to the launch date. Even if you only end up with a sorry you can't get an invite but here is x, y or z it's a nice touch and makes you think positively about the Virgin brand - which is exactly what Sir Dickie wants you to do.

I shall have to try this sometime then...

I was thinking the same thing myself

Now where did I put that writing paper.........:lol:

ADRboy

True but staff wages aren't £10 an hour they're £8 at the most and then Virgin/Stagecoach should employ a team who's sole job is to deal with customer wuiries and decide weather they need a repose, what response or compensation and what type of compensation they need. Either way it's rediculious handing out free £20 RTV's just to save a bit of time and effort.
They do along with all other TOC's. (as far as I know). £10ph isn't a lot of money.

Agent_c

True but staff wages aren't £10 an hour they're £8 at the most and then Virgin/Stagecoach should employ a team who's sole job is to deal with customer wuiries and decide weather they need a repose, what response or compensation and what type of compensation they need. Either way it's rediculious handing out free £20 RTV's just to save a bit of time and effort

The last 3 times I've travelled with Virgin I've brought my tickets and not one member of staff came to check them in standard class or even walked through, I'm not sure about first but three times in a row I spent over £30 on a return and not even one member of staff? There was people on there who obviously knew certian times trains don't get checked and probably didn't have a ticket I wish I'd of companied now but I thought back then that I'd never be able to challenge a big company and they wouldn't believe me..

Staff cost =/= wages. You have to factor in the other costs to have that employee - management, rent, benefits, tools, electricity, etc.

And in any case, I know with telecoms and insurance any ombudsman complaint - legitimate or frivolous- results in a (3 figure) charge to the company. Do passenger focus, etc, operate on a similar basis?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.