• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains - FA CUp Semi Travel Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Sensible advice but you know people will not heed it and get on any service they want.

Statto

Established Member
This is the problem having an early kick off for a Merseyside derby in London, with the first few trains are going to be heaving, going back from about 3-3:30pm will be a nightmare as well.

Michael.Y

Established Member
There will be a lot of people travelling INTO Merseyside this weekend too, due to some minor horse race or two....

jaigee

A Virgin Trains’ spokesman said: "We are using our longer trains on the route....."

I assume this means more Pendo's and not Voyagers, or perhaps double Voyagers if there are any spare.

Are there any 11 coach Pendo's cleared for service yet?

tbtc

Veteran Member
They really should have held the game at the City of Manchester Stadium/ Old Trafford etc (rather than expecting tens of thousands from each side of the city to make the journey to London).

But then, the FA have debts and need to pay for their shiny new national stadium somehow, and that means hosting as many games there as they can - even if it means travel chaos for the masses...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A Virgin Trains’ spokesman said: "We are using our longer trains on the route....."

I assume this means more Pendo's and not Voyagers, or perhaps double Voyagers if there are any spare.

Are there any 11 coach Pendo's cleared for service yet?

There are currently three 11-car Pendos running about, 390154, 55 and 56.

krisk

I'm sure there is now 390 107 but don't hold me to that...

The idea to send people to Manchester does help as not everyone who supports Liverpool/Everton may live there. My concern if that was me travelling would be the Liverpool to Manchester connection on a 2 or 3 car unit and I wonder how TPE, EMT and Northern feel about this?

DownSouth

Established Member
They really should have held the game at the City of Manchester Stadium/ Old Trafford etc (rather than expecting tens of thousands from each side of the city to make the journey to London).

But then, the FA have debts and need to pay for their shiny new national stadium somehow, and that means hosting as many games there as they can - even if it means travel chaos for the masses...
No they should not have done that.

Would you have been willing to be the one telling over 15,000 fans that they couldn't go because it was decided to play the match in a lower capacity stadium?

Lighten up, it's a minor issue on a weekend and a huge earner for all kinds of businesses remotely related to some kind of private or public transport. A trip to the big stadium is part of the experience anyway!

John55

Would you have been willing to be the one telling over 15,000 fans that they couldn't go because it was decided to play the match in a lower capacity stadium?

If the game was played at Old Trafford perhaps the clubs would have received 37,000 tickets each rather than the 30,000 they actually received and more of the clubs supporters would have been able to go!

tbtc

Veteran Member

Lighten up, it's a minor issue on a weekend and a huge earner for all kinds of businesses remotely related to some kind of private or public transport. A trip to the big stadium is part of the experience anyway!

If the game was played at Old Trafford perhaps the clubs would have received 37,000 tickets each rather than the 30,000 they actually received and more of the clubs supporters would have been able to go!

Precisely - take away all the "Club Wembly" debenture seats (e.g. those ones that appear empty half the time when you watch the match on the telly) and stick it in a ground that can give both sides a bigger allocation.

A trip to Wembly used to be "something", but playing so many games there devalues the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.