• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains First Class on Advance Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
So, Advance Purchase tickets off Glasgow Central at 1840, what can I expect in the way of food etc. (It does indicate evening meal) but on an AP ticket what can be expected?

Similarly on TPE, what freebies am I in for? (Primerally got 1st AP cos of the comfy seats and lack of errr others ;))

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
AP get the same as walk up ticket holders in Virgin. If it mentions evening meal that's what you'll get

Not sure about TPE

The 18:40 ex GLC does a hot evening meal soon after departure, so I imagine you'll get it well before Preston. Catering is for all first-class passengers regardless of ticket type.

calc7

Established Member
I would imagine a full evening meal, dessert and two or three runs of the drinks trolley. Top ups of drinks should be supplied on request, if desired.

On TPE I'm not sure the trolley will be on that late but the comfy seat is welcome nonetheless. You will also avoid late night groups going for a booze-up into Manchester.

krisk

Top ups of drinks should be supplied on request, if desired.

Really???

So if they are half way through serving dinner and you feel the urge for a top up then they will just get you one. That is good service.

My typical service out of London is Hot Drink - Cold Drink - Food - Refill Cold Drink - Hot Drink once, maybe twice time allowing

Milton Keynes stopper - no cold drinks or food until after MK

Most people I know operate a certain "flow" which to provide it all means it is adhered too and I can't recall the last time anyone travelling with me didn't find it sufficient.

If it is quiet then by all means ask but with the loadings on some routes then you will usually find a service delivery follows a pattern.

calc7

Established Member
Really???

So if they are half way through serving dinner and you feel the urge for a top up then they will just get you one. That is good service.

My typical service out of London is Hot Drink - Cold Drink - Food - Refill Cold Drink - Hot Drink once, maybe twice time allowing

Milton Keynes stopper - no cold drinks or food until after MK

Most people I know operate a certain "flow" which to provide it all means it is adhered too and I can't recall the last time anyone travelling with me didn't find it sufficient.

If it is quiet then by all means ask but with the loadings on some routes then you will usually find a service delivery follows a pattern.

I have not once whilst eating an evening meal on Virgin Trains had a request denied for a top-up of wine ahead of the next trolley run. I think the staff realise that there can be quite a gap between the first run of cold drinks and the food actually being served. I agree, it is very good customer service.

The times I have been on the xx20/xx43 from Euston, drinks have been served both before and after Milton Keynes. Remember it does not set-down there between roughly 4pm and 7pm so there is no possibility of a loss to Virgin from cheapish FDS ticket holders getting a full meal and drinks.

krisk

That's good of them, usually we can be that busy that we politely say by all means have more but let us finish serving the meals first.

Status
Not open for further replies.