• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains messed up (set swap due to disruption)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I was supposed to be on a voyager (10 coach) to Preston. Instead, I've been put on an 11 coach pendolino so all seat reservations are screwed. So, as we booked a table seat, in standard, and because there aren't any, we are now sat (as a family) in first class. People are sitting by themselves on a table seat (made for families) and therefore we, as a family, think it's perfectly acceptable to be sat in a table seat, that we BOOKED 2 months in advance. Although, we got a pendolino, much better than a voyager!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OMGitsDAVE

Ok, so I was supposed to be on a voyager (10 coach) to Preston. Instead, I've been put on an 11 coach pendolino so all seat reservations are screwed. So, as we booked a table seat, in standard, and because there aren't any, we are now sat (as a family) in first class. People are sitting by themselves on a table seat (made for families) and therefore we, as a family, think it's perfectly acceptable to be sat in a table seat, that we BOOKED 2 months in advance. Although, we got a pendolino, much better than a voyager!

I'm not too sure what you mean - you're best off talking to a member of the team as you may have to pay an upgrade to first class. If you had booked two months in advance, the team members will be best to sort the situtation for you - as I'm sure they'll try their best. Sitting in First Class may just cost you more money, and possibly embarrassment if you're moved without paying!

I hope the rest of the journey is good!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If reservations aren't honoured, they aren't honoured. That gives you no right to sit in First Class without first asking.

Gemz91

Not sure about that? I've never seen signs saying that tables are for families, but then I don't use Virgin West Coast so I could be wrong.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member

The WCML is severely disrupted because a de-railed ballast regulator, nothing Virgin Trains could do about it. I think you're

a) needing to calm down
b) sort out your ticketing before you're penalised for sitting in first class
c) apologise to Virgin Trains

Ok, so I'm still there, in first class. Train Manager says if he can't find us a seat them he won't get back to us (he hasn't got back to us) I understand that VT are having a bad day and if we're asked to move, that's fine, we'll move. Right now, I'm sat in first, in what was the only table seat on the whole train.

6Gman

Established Member
Ok, so I'm still there, in first class. Train Manager says if he can't find us a seat them he won't get back to us (he hasn't got back to us) I understand that VT are having a bad day and if we're asked to move, that's fine, we'll move. Right now, I'm sat in first, in what was the only table seat on the whole train.

I think it's unlikely to be the only table seat on the whole train!

me123

Established Member
So let me get this right... you haven't got a table seat so you took it upon yourself to upgrade yourself to FC? You're very lucky that the TM hasn't told you to sling your hook. If I was a FC passenger (who had actually paid for my ticket), I'd be complaining that Virgin were letting any freeloader into FC.

(Directed towards 6Gman) The problem is, people are taking the mick out of 'no reservations' and are sat, by themselves, in a seat made for four. There's four of us, so we can't fit on the 3 remaining seats in all the table seats that still are partially available. All the other table seats have families of 4 in, which is perfectly fine. But 1 person depriving the option of a family sitting together, isn't rignt.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(Directed towards me123) We asked the train manager, before he asked us. He knows about us, if he's got a problem with us, he will come and tell us what to do

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
The problem is, people are taking the mick out of 'no reservations' and are sat, by themselves, in a seat made for four. There's four of us, so we can't fit on the 3 remaining seats in all the table seats that still are partially available. All the other table seats have families of 4 in, which is perfectly fine. But 1 person depriving the option of a family sitting together, isn't rignt.

Yes it is.

(So long as they've got a valid ticket.)

najaB

Veteran Member
The problem is, people are taking the mick out of 'no reservations' and are sat, by themselves, in a seat made for four. There's four of us, so we can't fit on the 3 remaining seats in all the table seats that still are partially available.
Did you try asking them if they would mind moving, I quite frequently move - if asked - to let a group sit together.

Alternatively, would it really be the end of the world if you weren't sat together?

This could end badly. Has there been a ticket check in First yet. Hopefully the train manager has authorised this upgrade. Next post on the Disputes and Prosecutions forum perhaps. Are table seats made for families?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sprinter153

Oh dear. I have no sympathy with the kind of entitled person that has a tantrum and decides that because someting isn't going their way, they're sitting in First Class and that's it. I'd be asking you to leave, and taking your details if you refused.

It would be entirely different if you spoke to a member of staff first and they gave you permission. In this scenario I'd help you find a seat that met your requirements, preferably in standard class, but allow you to sit in First if there was no other option.

I don't ever recall table seats being 'reserved for families' either. If reservations aren't being honoured, they aren't being honoured, and passengers can sit anywhere within the class of accommodation they are entitled to sit in, unless told otherwise.

Really, it's all about attitude. If you're acting in an entitled manner and self-upgrading, most staff will give you short shrift. If you're polite and understanding and ask first, most staff will be more than happy to help.

You seem to have been lucky this time to find a TM that is willing to appease you.

me123

Established Member
(Directed towards 6Gman) The problem is, people are taking the mick out of 'no reservations' and are sat, by themselves, in a seat made for four. There's four of us, so we can't fit on the 3 remaining seats in all the table seats that still are partially available. All the other table seats have families of 4 in, which is perfectly fine. But 1 person depriving the option of a family sitting together, isn't right.

Can you please reference the particular section of the NRCoC in which families are entitled to sit together?

(Directed towards me123) We asked the train manager, before he asked us. He knows about us, if he's got a problem with us, he will come and tell us what to do

Well I'd be complaining to Virgin if I was a FC passenger on your train.

> But 1 person depriving the option of a family sitting together, isn't rignt.

You could argue a family depriving a single person of the seat they occupied first is not right. Do families have extra rights. Are they a class above single people.

The simple solution is to occupy the other three places. The single person will soon find a seat elsewhere.

DaleCooper

Established Member
What I find funny is that the OP, having found a place where the family can sit together, then probably spends the whole journey on their phone/laptop complaining to this forum, tweeting and posting pictures of the crowded coach on facebook and instagram.

bramling

Veteran Member

Could you explain how you arrive at the idea table seats are "made for families"?

It's very noticeable how irregular users turn up at the weekend, and seem to think the whole railway runs for their own selfish convenience.

As you haven't paid for FC, frankly you deserve a RORA prosecution. It would be enlightening to see how your defence about tables would stand up in court.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm amazed the guard didn't charge for the upgrade, although I've had upgrade charges refunded before when cancelled reservations caused carnage.

I just can't believe the OP signed up to whine that table seats "are just for families" :lol:

Virgin Messed Up. An unfortunate change to the type of train, true, it happens. The train manager uses discretion to accommodate your family together in First at no extra cost to you. Virgin really messed up here.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
What annoys me is the TOCs make no provision for families of five or more.

Lots of TOCs make provisions for families of 6.

500px-Unit_315817_interior.JPG

Perhaps this style of seating on a long distance intercity train would placate the OP?

dk1

Veteran Member
And there was me thinking its only us railway staff that get the wink from the TM to sit in 1st at no cost whatsoever ;) Hope you got the free snacks & drinks too.

We didn't get any snacks or anything but I could expect that as we weren't ticket holders meaning we couldn't go to the shop to use it. Also, there's no service in first class as train crew are stuck in the north because of the blockage at Oxenholme.

Ticket inspector says, officially that we ARE allowed to sit in FC as he has discussed with TM which gives permission because we boarded at Euston and it was manic. So, I was allowed in first class due to all the confusion at Euston over a train change. This has been allowed by TM and ticket inspector says we aren't required to move seats.

bramling

Veteran Member
Ticket inspector says, officially that we ARE allowed to sit in FC as he has discussed with TM which gives permission because we boarded at Euston and it was manic. So, I was allowed in first class due to all the confusion at Euston over a train change. This has been allowed by TM and ticket inspector says we aren't required to move seats.

Lucky you then.

I wouldn't have the nerve to start complaining about others occupying tables, especially since many of those single people may well have paid more than your whole group if they hold a walk-up ticket - which applies to Standard Class too.

Status
Not open for further replies.